A Vey Handsome Custom Heritage 92 - Blue

Eric2018

This is my first Japanese pen - The Custom Heritage 92 in Blue.

Surely there are quite a lot of blue demonstrators in the market, but the CH92 wins in my world.

The nib

F - 14K gold - #5 nib, chrome plated

very decent and good-looking. (not very wet)

The Japanese nib is comparatively finer for the reason of writing Chinese characters.

(because it is not possible to write small Chinese words in a B, a stub, or an italic nib)

So as the nib is small and is in F, it needs a smooth ink, I tried Diamine before, seems a bit scratchy (or too much feedback?)

When it is stuff with Iroshijuku Ama-Iro (Perfect match!), the feeling is much better.

(Ama-Iro means: The colour of the sky, probably daytime)

Overall

Well made, Sapphire demonstrator with chrome plated details, the colour way I can't resist.

A medium size piston filler.

Well balanced when capped (maybe too light if uncapped)

Write well even in fast writing, good for EDC.

No skipping nor hard starter problems.

I directly ordered from Japan, good price.

hX8dZ3X.jpg

QLRmtoD.jpg

h1yUKjQ.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eric2018

• minddance

• Aysedasi

• Driften

Those are awesome pictures! I don't mean to quibble but on my laptop it looks like a purplish blue, while Ama Iro is definitely a greenish blue... So if it matches Ama Iro would this pen be more greenish blue? Or did you mean that Ama Iro looks good coming out of this pen?

Also, does Ama Iro retain its lighter colour? In most of my pens it turned darker very quickly, until I found a Studio in EF. Your comment about it not being very wet is interesting, thought Custom pens were wetter than say Metropolitans.

I've had a yes-no, yes-no relationship with this pen, never got it because what I really wanted was a blue Pelikan m205, which I eventually got, and I prefer pens in single colours, as opposed to a black section and blue barrel like on this one; although of course there's a completely black model.

I guess all these questions men I'm still curious about this pen!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Those are awesome pictures! I don't mean to quibble but on my laptop it looks like a purplish blue, while Ama Iro is definitely a greenish blue... So if it matches Ama Iro would this pen be more greenish blue? Or did you mean that Ama Iro looks good coming out of this pen?

Also, does Ama Iro retain its lighter colour? In most of my pens it turned darker very quickly, until I found a Studio in EF. Your comment about it not being very wet is interesting, thought Custom pens were wetter than say Metropolitans.

I've had a yes-no, yes-no relationship with this pen, never got it because what I really wanted was a blue Pelikan m205, which I eventually got, and I prefer pens in single colours, as opposed to a black section and blue barrel like on this one; although of course there's a completely black model.

I guess all these questions men I'm still curious about this pen!

Off-hand, first comment would be to find out if you can calibrate the monitor https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-calibrate-your-monitor/

(Strange -- I don't have that three-bottle set; I have three other sets. Otherwise I'd have compared the photo to the actual bottles. Is it a fairly new ink-set, or did I miss a release some four years back?)

On my monitor (Dell Ultrasharp Adobe RGB gamut for photo-editing, rather than consumer sRGB gamut) the pen image is, as described, a bright Sapphire blue, similar to the synthetic stone in my HS class ring. The ink bottles: Syo-ro shows a hint of green, ama-iro is blue, and fuyu-gaki is a bright red with a hint of orange. I did find a review that indicated a touch of cyan in the ama-iro.

Always have loved the colors of the Pilot CH 92 / 74 blue demonstrator.

In my opinion, in that price range and color only 3776 Chartres Blue has it beat.

pseudo88

I don't see any purple or green in the picture for the pen nor the ink, you may consider to calibre the monitor I may suggest. The colour of Iroshijuku retains quite a long time, yet I read the words written weeks ago, the blue is still sharp and vivid. Most of the Japanese people write Chinese character, I think pens in domestic market cannot be too wet, otherwise the characters will be in a mess. And it is a F.

BaronWulfraed

Pilot's marketing way may vary on different countries. In Hong Kong, we can even choose which colour to buy in the set, that means to choose any three colours to make up the set, cool huh?!

The Japanese nomenclature is really fantastic and poetry. As I said, Ama-Iro is the colour of the sky. And the Syo-ro is pine dew (green), while the fuyu-gaki is winter persimmon (orange red).

Price wise, for the three-bottle set: its about USD11.00 in HK on sale. So I pick up 4 sets.... can't beat this feeling, LOL.

penzel_washinton

In Japan, the price of 3776 is more affordable, I bought this CH92 at about USD108, and the 3776 Bourgogne at about USD75.00. Comparatively, the Chartres appears to be a darker blue. And both blue are surely wonderful colour in the market.

penzel_washinton

In Japan, the price of 3776 is more affordable, I bought this CH92 at about USD108, and the 3776 Bourgogne at about USD75.00. Comparatively, the Chartres appears to be a darker blue. And both blue are surely wonderful colour in the market.

Sorry, I meant the Chartres Blue with the Rhodium Trim. I believe that it is more expensive than the gold trim ones

Edited by penzel_washinkton

I have the same model of 92. It's a nice pen. Mine started out as M and then went to MF and back to M ;)

When you get to M or above they tend to be wet wide nibs. You can also swap the nib with any other Pilot #5 nib so if you wanted a special size from a Custom 74 it's easy to do.

I have the blue one as well - got it last week, also direct from Japan at a very good price and it arrived in the UK in just 6 days. Mine is a broad. I really wanted the orange, if I'm honest, but the few of those that are still available command DOUBLE the price, which I can't justify. A beautiful pen and a really nice fluid writer that holds a ton of ink.

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

It is odd, is it me or the pen: Pilot 92 feels different in the hand from 74 though they use the same nib size. And Pilot 91 feels different from 74 and 92 too.

Driften

Oh really, yet switching nibs for the big three is not a good idea for me, as I always think that the Japanese "thing" is already a perfect match.

Aysedasi

True, Japanese pens in Japan are much much lower in price when comparing to US, UK, or even, some, Hong Kong.

I just find out (from Rakuten) that the ordinary 3776 is in about US65 only.

Driften

Oh really, yet switching nibs for the big three is not a good idea for me, as I always think that the Japanese "thing" is already a perfect match.

It would be nice if Pilot offered the same options in the 92 as they do in the 74, but they don't. If I want lets say a Music nib or a Soft Medium my only option is to buy the Custom 74 and swap nibs with my Custom 92. When I had a Custom 91 I could just swap sections between the 74 and it. The 74 and 91 parts are fully interchangeable.

I am not sure what Japanese "thing" is already a perfect match. Pilot offers 11 nib sizes in the Custom 74 and only 4 in the 92. All 11 are a perfect match for any of the pens in that series 74, 91, 92.

Sure the F nib could be a perfect match to what you like in a nib, but that is not for everybody. If it was then Pilot would only sell F nibs.

In any case the Pilot Custom Heritage 92 is a great pen that gets forgotten about.

Is it possible to remove the piston from the pen barrel? What if ink gets deposited at the back of the piston, how does it get cleaned?

Edited by minddance

Driften

Ha, I mean I'm really bad on dissembling things, etc. And the perfect match, means most of the Japan thing is already very good in condition.

Newjelin

Yes, the orange one is really cool but I'm not fine for the clear one.

minddance

Should be ok to unscrew a TWSBI wrench and take the piston out for cleaning. But I never did, yet.

Driften

Aysedasi

True, Japanese pens in Japan are much much lower in price when comparing to US, UK, or even, some, Hong Kong.

I just find out (from Rakuten) that the ordinary 3776 is in about US65 only.

I got mine via Rakuten as well. My first experience and I'm impressed.

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......