Montblanc Writers Edition Shakespeare Price

theodore94

Hi everyone,

(By the way, I'm fairly new to pen collecting, so I apologize if I say something stupid).

My brother wants to buy me a special pen. After a lot of consideration and procrastination, (I think) I have decided on the Montblanc Writers Edition Shakespeare pen. It's a beautiful pen, and given that it commemorates Shakespeare, I don't think it will ever go out of style (of course, it's a gift from my brother, not an investment -- I'm not really expecting to part with it in my lifetime).

When I was first looking, I could buy the fountain pen (Fine nib) for around $950 (USD) from the store. Now, I'm led to believe that they are unavailable in stores, and the prices on Amazon appear astronomical (hundreds of dollars more).

Did the price really just go up that much? Am I looking in the right place? Is there any chance I could buy it from the store still?

If it's really impossible to buy the Shakespeare, I was thinking about the Beatles pen, which appears to still be available in Montblanc stores. Is it available only because it's not popular? Is there something wrong with it?

Thank you!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theodore94

• daenghafez

• drgriz

• Erik Dalton

These are limited edition pens. When the whole production run is sold, pens are scarce and prices go as high as a buyer is willing to pay.

I feel for you, there are a few of the Great Writers series that I hope to get lucky and obtain. You just have to wait for a private owner to put one up for sale. It doesn’t happen often. There is no way i’ll Ever get a Hemingway. Although I’m waiting for an F.Scott Fitzgerald and an Oscar Wilde.

Best to have a look at the current pens that Montblanc has on the market and choose from one that strikes your fancy. Whichever you choose you’ll be getting a world class pen that will last you a lifetime.

It is looking that way on the price. One just sold today on eBay for $1426.99. Yet, in late June, a new and sealed sold for $895.

I'd suggest calling one of the boutiques near you and have them do a search of the inventory, chances are there are none. If you are set on getting the Shakespeare, set up a saved search on eBay to get alerted when a new listing is posted. There are great deals out there, to Old Salt's point, yes the Hemingway is out reach for many. However in the past month, I recall an user grade Hemingway in need of a few repairs selling for $795. Good deals can be found on eBay.

It is already sold out in Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Jakarta, Bangkok & Hong Kong. Not sure other cities. Im still looking for the 1597 pen.

Actually it was slightly more than that. It was $799.95. Cosmetically, the only issue with the pen is a chipped cap. The piston rod was broken and the nib 'collar' was super-glued. I've replaced the piston rod. Surprisingly, the super-glued collar does not leak so I'm letting it be. Am on the lookout for a spare though...

yes the Hemingway is out reach for many. However in the past month, I recall an user grade Hemingway in need of a few repairs selling for $795. Good deals can be found on eBay.

But yes, look for deals. There are many out there.

I'm surprised that they fluctuate in price this much. I had heard the Hemingway became very expensive, but I figured most pens stayed around the same price, give or take maybe $50.

Does the fact that the Beatles pen is still available indicate that people don't like it? Is there anything wrong with it? I kind of like how it looks -- but I'm worried I'll only really get a sense for how much I like it after I use it for a few days (i.e., after I've already paid out nearly $1,000).

Thanks!

I'm surprised that they fluctuate in price this much. I had heard the Hemingway became very expensive, but I figured most pens stayed around the same price, give or take maybe $50.

Does the fact that the Beatles pen is still available indicate that people don't like it? Is there anything wrong with it? I kind of like how it looks -- but I'm worried I'll only really get a sense for how much I like it after I use it for a few days (i.e., after I've already paid out nearly $1,000).

Thanks!

Before doing any big purchase/buys I'd suggest searching for youtube reviews of the particular pen you're interested in, I think (IMO) the main reason the Beatles pen is not a sellout is the way it looks, but if you're a huge Beatles fan and understand why the pen was made that way, then it wouldn't matter what everyone else thinks of the pen, because it the end, you're the one who's going to cherish and utilize it. I went ahead and ordered the Le Petite Prince Holliday set early this month despite not seeing what the actual pen looks like because I love the book, plus I have an idea of what writing instrument I would be getting as I've been researching the Le Petite line.

If you can wait til December, you might like the other pens that are scheduled for official release (Great Characters).

In other news, I just love the Shakespear ink that I was lucky enough to find another ink bottle at a pen boutique. Red is such an interesting colour.

Edited by AndyLogan

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

Many models spend some time in the stores waiting for buyers. Many of the Writers' Editions are quite successful, but take years to sell the whole run.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)