Top Five Fountain Pens (If Viewed Purely As A Writing Instrument)

4lex

Despite being the only person so far on this page who lives in Australia, and somewhat plugged into politics, I had not heard about this ban. I found references to it only on very right wing web sites or publications, mostly from overseas. Given there has been no ripple here, it sounds pretty much like either a beat-up of some aspect of treating people with ordinary respect, or a right wing bubble reaction to some left wing bubble, and not an active issue of the mainstream or centre.

I think we can move along safely without discussing politics.

All points well taken

Sarcasm and 'name calling' are two totally different things neither of which could ever be called 'an act of violence'. To think so leads to a weaker society that will eventually melt and drown under all the snowflakes melting down due to a lack of fortitude. :) Perhaps it will be for the best. Persons of stronger character will then be free to build a stronger, more robust, society with fine fountain pens.

This deserves a proper response, but praxim would go ballistic. Anyway, if I am ever in london I would be glad to discuss further over a pint. Cheers! :thumbup:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GreyPix

• pajaro

• 4lex

• praxim

Top Posters In This Topic

All your points are well taken

This deserves a proper response, but if I did praxim would go ballistic. Anyway, if I am ever in london I would be glad to deliver it over a pint. Cheers! :thumbup:

Hopefully by the time you do there will still be pubs open to sell pints (of beer I hope you meant :D ).

Remember to bring your pens.

Sarcasm and 'name calling' are two totally different things neither of which could ever be called 'an act of violence'. To think so leads to a weaker society that will eventually melt and drown under all the snowflakes melting down due to a lack of fortitude. :) Perhaps it will be for the best. Persons of stronger character will then be free to build a stronger, more robust, society with fine fountain pens.

Works for me, less people that are willing to go down my career path.

Anywho.

Top 5 pens,

1. Conid Bulkfillers, I have 7 extra nibs now... there might be more on the way.

2. Omas ogiva's. Absolutely gorgeous and magnificent writers.

3. TWSBI Eco, great writer huge ink capacity

4. TWSBI 580, save as above

5. Anything Edison, nice pens great writers.

If i own it, i carry it at some point. Granted i do have some that are better for letter writing than EDC and i use them as such.

All points well taken

This deserves a proper response, but praxim would go ballistic. Anyway, if I am ever in london I would be glad to discuss further over a pint. Cheers! :thumbup:

I suggest you both come here. Better weather and good wine. ;)

X

This merits some investigation, how have you achieved it?

Alfredo

I do not know if this will work for another. I wrote in another post that I can not find now.
What I did was give a round with plumber tape to the nib and the feed. I had a problem with ink buildup on the tip that ended up dripping. Now with this little "trick" write without being wet, more on the dry side.

And not a single Platinum pen was mentioned. At all. I just pulled two two Platinum 3776 pens from casual -almosr careless- storage of over 26 months, and both have been writing fine for weeks. Same for several Preppys stored with them.

Let's ink up our favorites, set them aside, and revist this question in say, another two years.

Brian

My daughter's five:

1) 1945 Wal-Eversharp, 14Kt fine flex;

2) Wing Sung 601 with steel Fude nib;

3) Parker 21, medium steel nib;

4) Jinhao Bronze Dragon with medium steel nib;

5) Lamy AL-star with broad steel nib.

Your daughter is more objective than any other contributor to this thread.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

This merits some investigation, how have you achieved it?

Alfredo

I would like to know that as well. In the winter it takes ages to dry. I have to hang out the paper for hours and let it dry after it has been hosed with my M1000.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

Opinions based on which pens spend the most time in the rotation and which ones are the most comfortable for my poor, arthritic hands to use. In no particular order.

Pelikan M800 with Binder Italifine nib.

Sheaffer's Oversize Balance ca 1929-1930.

1927 Parker Senior Duofold.

Conklin 40 BHR Crescent filler

Esterbrook J with a 9968 nib modified by Pendleton Brown

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

It's not like I'm overthinking this or anything :lticaptd:...

fpn_1543079636__fountain_pen.png

I think the test is: if I had to go on a trip and needed a reliable, comfortable pen, which one would I take?

Either a Pelikan m600/m200 with their f nibs: reliable, don't evaporate.

Or a Sailor Professional Gear in medium: makes Tsuyu Kusa look awesome.

My other pens are a possibility, except for my two Parker Sonnets, aka mega evaporators.

Holy nostalgia! This takes me back to the pokemon strategy guides of my childhood :D though those weren't nearly as complex!

Due to the fact that multiple members find it necessary to heap unpleasantness, this topic is now closed.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~