From The IT Moderator - Quick Reminder About Zombie Posts - New Posts And Inky Tods

amberleadavis

Lately as moderator I've been asked about Zombie Posts (or Necroposting) - posting new comments in old threads, Repeated threads (What is the Best Black, Blackest Black or Replacement for BSB) - and frankly which is better?

Should you revive an old thread or ask the question again? As moderator, should I merge the topics?

Over the years I've done all three - and I've even created the Inky TODs to try and capture some of the repeated questions (and yes some topics have been merged there).

Personally, I prefer necroposting because then you can see the history, but the searches do not always capture older threads. I have this problem each time I try to find my original fade tests. Google wants to grab our most recent posts. Also, the answer may differ (for example the blackest black in 2005 may not be the best choice in 2018). Thus, questions get reposted even if the answer was listed in the Inky Topic O'Day (Start Here) Index.

So, here is the rule that I've followed here in Inky Thoughts -

BE POLITE

ENCOURAGE OTHERS

If you find a couple of topics you think should be merged - by all means, send me a PM and I'll see about doing so.

If you see another thread that is helpful / relevant / on point - post a link.

If you see necroposting - by all means participate. Some of our most lively threads have been going on for years. When they become too long (i.e. The Show Us Your Pen) we break those topics into multiple threads so that they can still load.

Please be sure to share your thoughts.

-An IT moderator (as in Inky Thoughts) not to be confused with an IT girl though I was in IT for years. :P

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• TSherbs

• LizEF

• Corona688

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you, that was from Napalm my most prolific ghoster.

Now a I need to create an IT avatar.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

"Personally, I prefer necroposting"

thank you so much

for a moment I thought you were going to tell us off for necroposting...

sometimes I find it's fun, there are so many things that have already been said and forgotten

the worse enemy of browsing old threads has unfortunately been the Photobucket disaster

(question to myself: btw, have they gone bust yet? I was curious and looked it up
this is the link dating May this year
https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2018/05/17/photobucket-drops-pricing-that-angered-millions.html

it would seem they are still alive but have restored some of the photos held at ransom, is it true? I think I'm still seeing some of their hated photo blocking logos,

but at least this is their current asset "It employed 120 people, today Photobucket has 10 full-time employees"

oh, haven't they deserved this!...)

Edited by sansenri

Now a I need to create an IT avatar.

An Inky thinking of an Inky thinking of an Inky ... on to infinity, like looking into two mirrors facing each other. (Example, not high quality...)

http://www.paradoxcommunity.com/vps/ITInky.jpg

...And an Information Technology Inky, if desired.

I like necroposting. Never really understood why some folk get very irritated by it.

Don't really mind separate threads asking the same questions over and over either.

I try not to crush newbie enthusiasm.

I like necroposting. Never really understood why some folk get very irritated by it.

Don't really mind separate threads asking the same questions over and over either.

I try not to crush newbie enthusiasm.

+1 & thanks for stating same!

I think necroposting can be valuable. So much to be learned from those who have gone before us.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Necro-posting is fine by me. It helps though, if people are careful not to ask questions of the Dear Departed (from the forum). Quite apart from checking the post date, one can also hover over a poster's name to see when they were last active. If it was months, try quoting some of their text in case they get e-mail advices and are still interested. If it was years ... be very, very patient. :)

X

I would also rather see observations added to threads that already contain a wealth of information about the subject. As a person who uses the forum to gather information, I find it more convenient to discover as much information as possible in a single location, as opposed to having to forage across many threads.

The only problem I have found with this approach is that if a person posts a question about an ink in a thread containing an ink review, it is common for that question to be drowned by a series of general comments about the ink. If one really wants an answer to question, it is probably more productive of replies to start a new thread.

a: The people you're talking to have probably been gone for years, figuratively or sometimes literally.

b: Dead images, dead links, dead dead dead

Right. It's not really a retread. It's different people giving different answers. Edited by Corona688

The worse enemy of browsing old threads has unfortunately been the Photobucket disaster

(question to myself: btw, have they gone bust yet? I was curious and looked it up

this is the link dating May this year

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2018/05/17/photobucket-drops-pricing-that-angered-millions.html

it would seem they are still alive but have restored some of the photos held at ransom, is it true? I think I'm still seeing some of their hated photo blocking logos

but at least this is their current asset "It employed 120 people, today Photobucket has 10 full-time employees"

oh, haven't they deserved this!...)

IMO photobucket "died" because their website was such an unholy pain. Nobody actually wanted to use it, they just wanted to host images and leave.

imgur on the other hand has nurtured a huge base of mobile users who browse their photos and view nonstop ads.

Neither is sustainable in the long run IMO. I try to host my own.

Part of the reason it's so expensive to host images is people. They'll scan and post a 5MB truecolor PNG for a small black-and-white image that'd fit nicely in a 20KB monochrome JPG.

Personally, I guess I'd rather see posts added to reasonably recent threads as the general information will be somewhat current. Answering a question from 3, 4, 5, or more years ago probably isn't very useful.

Especially when it comes to ink. There are so many new makers, expansions to existing lines, formulation changes, etc. that old threads can be woefully out-of-date.

jmho.

An Inky thinking of an Inky thinking of an Inky ... on to infinity, like looking into two mirrors facing each other. (Example, not high quality...)

http://www.paradoxcommunity.com/vps/ITInky.jpg

...And an Information Technology Inky, if desired.

I love it.

The most important thing is that everyone is cheerful and we encourage new users wether they necropost or newbie post.

I think the only time that necroposting irks me is when the resurrection is to reply to a long-ago answered question, e.g. what ink should I use today (in 2010)? Oh, use this shimmer ink that was released in 2018.