Moonman 80 Mini Mini-Review

truthpil

Hello again to all my FPN friends,

When the original Moonman 80 came out, I resisted buying one because I already have more Parker 45s than I can remember. However, when the 80mini came out I knew it was worth a try, if only to be a recepticle for my favorite Parker 45 gold nibs. Although the quality isn't nearly as good as that of a real Parker 45, these pens still hold their own and nib swappability opens up endless possibilities. How cool is it that I can put a soft 14k UK Parker 45 OBB stub in a tiny pen that will fit in my pocketbook or even directly in my pocket??

Here are some of my impressions after taking the pen apart and playing around with it today:

(This first page was written with the stock EF nib. Notice how hard it is to read due to how dry the pen writes.)

fpn_1535869131__p1090494_compressed.jpg

(Problem solved with a quick and easy nib swap.)

fpn_1535869214__p1090497_compressed.jpg

Size Comparisons:

(top to bottom: Platinum Preppy 02; Pilot 78G; Delike Alpha; Moonman 80mini)

fpn_1535869252__p1090492_compressed.jpg

fpn_1535869372__p1090490_compressed.jpg

Comparison of Nib Assemblies:

(Parker 45 on the left; Moonman 80mini on the right)

Notice the extra bits of plastic from the injection molding process still on the Moonman's feed and cowl.

This leads me to believe that the Moonman will probably write much better if one uses a razor blade to scrape off the extra plastic bits and floss the channels.

fpn_1535869402__p1090486_compressed.jpg

fpn_1535869515__p1090488_compressed.jpg

Moonman 80mini vs. my son's "moon man":

fpn_1535869559__p1090498_compressed.jpg

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• penzel_washinkton

• amberleadavis

• A Smug Dill

Just to update: I've noticed that not just the pen itself, but the ink in the Moonman cartridges itself is extremely dry.

My usually wet Parker 45 B used above required some pressure to get it's normal broad line.

One good thing I noticed about the Moonman Blue-black, however, is that it's 100% waterproof.

It smells like iron and loses some of its blue hue as it dries, so I'm certain it is an iron gall ink.

Edited by TruthPil

Nice review, so with this I think it can be concluded that the Moonman 80S and Mini are dry writing pens.

If the remedy is that simple, I better start scavenging Parker 45 nibs on Feebay!

Nice review, so with this I think it can be concluded that the Moonman 80S and Mini are dry writing pens.

If the remedy is that simple, I better start scavenging Parker 45 nibs on Feebay!

The Moonman 80 pens do seem to be characteristically dry writers, which is something preferable for writing those intricate Chinese characters.

There are always hundreds of Parker 45s on the bay, plenty with 14k nibs as well. Sometimes it's cheaper to just buy the pen than get the nib separately, although you risk getting a nib someone has messed up.

The best Parker 45 nib I ever got was from FPN Member piscov (no affiliation) who tuned it before sale, so I recommend contacting him first to see what he has.

I've quickly glanced on Feebay and most of them are not EF which is my preference nib width so I'll just chill out for now

I've quickly glanced on Feebay and most of them are not EF which is my preference nib width so I'll just chill out for now

I have a Parker 45 XF in flawless condition that I want to sell (bought it from Japan so it's geared for writing a really fine line). Let me know if you're interested.

Great review and I like the moonman.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2018 at 12:06 AM, truthpil said:

The Moonman 80 pens do seem to be characteristically dry writers, which is something preferable for writing those intricate Chinese characters.

I have now inked two of the Moonman 80 mini pens I recently bought, and neither of them writes so dry that it lays down a fine and faint line by virtue of ink starvation. In particular, I wouldn't say this one lays down a fine line at all, even though it isn't as wet compared to the Pilot Elite 95S pocket pen:

large.1591707008_NoodlersBadBeltedKingfisheroutofthreedifferentpens.jpg.e83fbb4657f337cc6a4428f0cc7703e4.jpg

Here's a writing sample with the other one:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/358992-colorverse-bluish-green-review/

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.