New Pilot Explorer, Vp And 100Th Anniversary Fountain Pen?

penzel_washinkton

That is true, but strange as in why not try something different you know? They already have a bucket load of their unique Maki-e pens, why not release a special edition of the all popular Metropolitans, just for this year. I am not saying designing a totally new lower end pens just to commemorate their anniversary.

They make 'Special Editions' of their lower end pens all the time. The number of those 'Special Editions' are far too numerous. We joke at Pen Posse about Sailor because all their 'Special Edition' pens all are starting to look alike.

Edited by AltecGreen

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• AltecGreen

• Mongoosey

• mke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They make 'Special Editions' of their lower end pens all the time. The number of those 'Special Editions' are far too numerous. We joke at Pen Posse about Sailor because all their 'Special Edition' pens all are starting to look alike.

May I know what Pilot released as a special edition for the lower end pens?

I only see a variance of the Metros and the Kakunos but not a special edition (I don't think the Kakuno 100th anniversary counts since they don't openly sell those pens as far as I know)

Edited by penzel_washinkton

> Why do you think it is arrogant? They have a philosophy and they have been consistent in following it for decades.

With which type of client do you think Pilot is making its money? Which pens are their cash cows. Certainly not the few Maki-e pens they sell. They are making money with the many, many lower-end pens and the normal people who buy them.

But when it comes to anniversary, these people suddenly are not interesting for Pilot.

So, their philosophy is the consistent disregard of their customers. If this is not arrogant.

> You seem comfortable in buying Sailor but Sailor doesn't really make cheap pens for their anniversary either. So why are you singling out Pilot?

That might be true, we will see on Sailor's next anniversary. Pilot is not singled out, it was just their turn because of their anniversary. Next one to be judged will be Platinum in 2019 and then Sailor in 2021.

> I am not opposed to the way they celebrate their 100th anniversary

I am opposed and decided not buy any Pilot pen - not even used ones. No need to find arguments for excusing arrogant behaviour.

Well, let's just agree to disagree since I never intended to "find arguments" to excuse arrogant behavior.

You seem totally against the Pilot in the other thread meanwhile I have no problems purchasing from them even after the 100th anniversary event as long as their products don't let me down, we're both not wrong.

I only see a variance of the Metros and the Kakunos but not a special edition (I don't think the Kakuno 100th anniversary counts since they don't openly sell those pens as far as I know)

One of the most common special edition would be the Decimo. In fact just a few weeks ago, another two versions were released for some store. These pop up fairly frequently. Bungbox had a Blue Pilot CH91 and a Bungbox Pilot Penmanship not too long ago.

I'm trying to get my HK friend to send pictures of the various Pilot LEs made for Daimaru.

Then there is this as an example.

31584258748_23d825e55d_c.jpg

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Here's one from Tokyo Pen show: https://imgur.com/mnQSToV (blurry zoomed in: https://imgur.com/SLIvk7J)

My pen is smaller than yours. Now get off my lawn.

I saw that the New Pilot Explorer will accept the CON-70 converter.

I cannot confirm that. Anyone else?

The Explorer will be released on November so I'm not sure where you got the leak on the CON-70 compatibility

One of the most common special edition would be the Decimo. In fact just a few weeks ago, another two versions were released for some store. These pop up fairly frequently. Bungbox had a Blue Pilot CH91 and a Bungbox Pilot Penmanship not too long ago.

I'm trying to get my HK friend to send pictures of the various Pilot LEs made for Daimaru.

Then there is this as an example.

31584258748_23d825e55d_c.jpg

Here's one from Tokyo Pen show: https://imgur.com/mnQSToV (blurry zoomed in: https://imgur.com/SLIvk7J)

Thanks for the shared info but I think we have a different perception regarding lower end pens. The E95S, Decimo / Capless / VP, Custom variants in my books are more to mid-tier pens.

Lower end pens from Pilot are in the range of Metros, Kakunos, Prera (to an extent) and I am interested if Pilot have ever released a special edition for those variants of pens.

The red one is the Oesta Ibis Prera. Can be purchased on Rakuten as it is the current edition. They come out with a different color each year.

'Cause I am a Prera fan:

attachicon.gif oeste-fp-pinfla-1.jpg

attachicon.gif prera-ibis_1.jpg

I know nothing else of these two pens.

It's the first time for me to see a special edition of the Prera, nice to know.

But I have yet to see a special edition Metros or Kakunos, maybe Pilot have a plan for it someday.

Yes! That's what I meant :)

I begrudge the cost of the Prera too, in Europe it's been axed completely, but the price was also totally ridiculous and is in the US I think in the same riduclous price bracket (ca. €50).

The Prera and the Metro should have been priced the same and I think the Explorer might fill that bracket so to speak, I never bought the Metro because I'm not the greatest fan of metal pens and many people complain about the step which would bother me too for sure, a lighter resin alternative might just about include a whole new demographic that likes a well-made cheap pen that's professional looking (the Kakuno is a bit childish, the Metro doesn't fit many and then there's the Prera which was/ is too expensive to buy from Western retailers), on top of the the Explorer has a tried and tested nib & feed, so it boils down to choosing the right housing for your needs (Kakuno vs Metro vs Explorer vs Prera).

The lower price bracket is imo often overlooked for anniversaries, I forgot which Japanese retailer exactly, but they commissioned Sailor to make pens for them for their anniversary and had the same design on the Lecoule, Pro Gear Slim and Pro Gear, across 3 price points.

But then Pilot for example and I'm sure others even make special cheap ballpoint editions (e.g. the Acroball), which is great! Though b&m sometimes don't carry these nice looking SEs/ LEs... :(

I agree. The lower end fountain pens from Pilot are disappointing.

The Kakuno looks like, and feels, like a child's toy, but the section is at least comfortable for adult hands, unlike the Metro, which has that narrow section leading to a large shelf that restricts comfort unless you have small hands. The Metro is certainly not a must-have for many as many say.

The Prera's not bad, but only if you get it at the lower price on Amazon or ebay, but it's a pocket pen. It's dinky unless you post it unless you have small hands. It's never really my recommendation unless you're looking for a pocket pen.

So I do like that they have this Explorer available because I have a Pilot Metro with a Medium nib I love, which could use a better home. The Explorer looks like an affordable EDC pen that may be comfortable for larger hands like mine (medium-large male hands), but I hope it doesn't feel too cheap cuz I couldn't believe Pilot came out with that con40, which was utterly terrible and cheap, and I had to throw that away.

1. If y'all want to talk low end, they could do special Varsity 100th Anniversary sets aimed at schoolchildren. Maybe include extra ink colors?

2. Have you seen the 100th Anniversary Box for $48,000 ??? Goulet posted a video:

It's beautiful. Over-the-top, but beautiful. I love the combination of techniques. I would never buy it, even if I had the money, because it reminds me too much of those photo books people buy that they can take out and look at once a year while wearing special gloves. I like the beautiful things around me to be a bit more accessible.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

The red one is the Oesta Ibis Prera. Can be purchased on Rakuten as it is the current edition. They come out with a different color each year.

Thanks for lettin' me know.

( But I think one Prera is enough for me. )

It's the first time for me to see a special edition of the Prera, nice to know.

But I have yet to see a special edition Metros or Kakunos, maybe Pilot have a plan for it someday.

I just saw these two pictures, it's dumb luck 'cause I had no idea what they were for.

In regards to the metros, I have seen some Cocoons, (or whatever the Japanese version of the metro is called), in some weird colors. I don't think they are LE...

The Explorer will be released on November so I'm not sure where you got the leak on the CON-70 compatibility

Thanks for the shared info but I think we have a different perception regarding lower end pens. The E95S, Decimo / Capless / VP, Custom variants in my books are more to mid-tier pens.

Lower end pens from Pilot are in the range of Metros, Kakunos, Prera (to an extent) and I am interested if Pilot have ever released a special edition for those variants of pens.

The Bungbox Pilot Penmanship Special Edition is in that category you are referring to. Prices are relative. It is true that a lot of us have a different perception of lower end. I don't even pay attention to the kind of pens you are talking about. They do come out but no one really talks about them much. You do find them and I have some from the 70's that would fall into that price range. But that stuff is really obscure. Sailor for sure. Pilot is much more picky at the low end.

I'm chatting with the guy from HK while typing this. He says he's seen several SE Kakunos like the Snoopy Special that was a special for an Event in Osaka, Loft Kakuno and the Nagasawa Clear Kakuno that were gifts if you bought enough stuff and a Solid color Nagasawa Kakuno that was for sale. So stuff at the low end do appear but often they are cheap enough to be used in a promotions.

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Ah, I see. Another thing from what I could take conclusion is that most of the special editions of lower ends are sold in Japan much like a JDM product

Ah, I see. Another thing from what I could take conclusion is that most of the special editions of lower ends are sold in Japan much like a JDM product

Most special edition (high and low end) are only found in Japan and a few other places in Asia like Taiwan. Big stores like Nagasawa and major Department stores like Mituskoshi often have special and limited editions. Very rarely, you'll find a Special Edition in the West.

The really annoying pens to find are the ones made for special organizations. It is not uncommon for a group to commission a special pen for a special occasion. Some of my rarest Pilots are such pens like the Medical Association pen made in the 1970's. I also have a Pilot Sterling pen made for Bougainville Copper.

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065