New Pilot Explorer, Vp And 100Th Anniversary Fountain Pen?

penzel_washinkton

So, I recommend you watch Goldspot new video where they talk with Pilot representatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bUy_DC1Afo

So far what's confirmed from the video is the new Pilot Explorer which according to the video will be released on November this year at the price of around $30.

I'm actually quite underwhelmed when it is confirmed that it is a plastic barrel.

There are also 2 new VPs coming (the other one mentioned near the end of the video)

Another hype point is the announcement on mid-September (13th September) regarding the 100th Anniversary releases.

I expect no less remembering this is their 100th anniversary though, good stuff hopefully

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• AltecGreen

• Mongoosey

• Olya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm quite excited about the Explorer!

I guess that's the resin equivalent to the Metro..

I'm also excited to see what they have cooked up for their 100th!

I guess that's the resin equivalent to the Metro..

Just so I don't misunderstand you, you meant to say the resin equivalent to Metro's brass material, correct?

It's actually the price point that's bothering me.

What features does it have to warrant a more expensive price tag compared to the Metros?

For the 100th ann. I really hope they release FPs not only for the higher end but also for the lower end of the market

The Prera is resin, and costs a bit more than the Metro.

Both are nice pens.

I guess it just depends on the person and the day, (in regards to which one is better.)

Just so I don't misunderstand you, you meant to say the resin equivalent to Metro's brass material, correct?

It's actually the price point that's bothering me.

What features does it have to warrant a more expensive price tag compared to the Metros?

For the 100th ann. I really hope they release FPs not only for the higher end but also for the lower end of the market

Yes! That's what I meant :)

I begrudge the cost of the Prera too, in Europe it's been axed completely, but the price was also totally ridiculous and is in the US I think in the same riduclous price bracket (ca. €50).

The Prera and the Metro should have been priced the same and I think the Explorer might fill that bracket so to speak, I never bought the Metro because I'm not the greatest fan of metal pens and many people complain about the step which would bother me too for sure, a lighter resin alternative might just about include a whole new demographic that likes a well-made cheap pen that's professional looking (the Kakuno is a bit childish, the Metro doesn't fit many and then there's the Prera which was/ is too expensive to buy from Western retailers), on top of the the Explorer has a tried and tested nib & feed, so it boils down to choosing the right housing for your needs (Kakuno vs Metro vs Explorer vs Prera).

The lower price bracket is imo often overlooked for anniversaries, I forgot which Japanese retailer exactly, but they commissioned Sailor to make pens for them for their anniversary and had the same design on the Lecoule, Pro Gear Slim and Pro Gear, across 3 price points.

But then Pilot for example and I'm sure others even make special cheap ballpoint editions (e.g. the Acroball), which is great! Though b&m sometimes don't carry these nice looking SEs/ LEs... :(

Edited by Olya

I know, the Prera seems out of place price range wise to me. Same case like the Platinum Balance / Cool

You know, something just came into my mind. If they are not going for lower end releases, I REALLY hope there is a 100th anniversary converter release named CON-100 (how befitting).

Ink capacity same (or better) as CON-70 with a filling mechanism that is much easier to clean and fill than the CON-70. A man can dream right?

Depending on the size and weight, I might be getting one of the Explorers. Hopefully someone will have them at the Ohio Pen Show (okay, that's really early in November, but still... ;)). I'll admit that I could very easily have been that person posting "NO NO NO NO NO" on that VP. On the other hand, it would be really nice if they came out with some more colors of Decimos (although those are not cheap pens) *and* made more of the Decimo colors available in the US. If they came out with a yellow one (say, to match the bright yellow VP) I could see myself being tempted....

Thanks for posting the link.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have to say, I did like like the gold-plated VP a lot. Reminds me of vintage gold filled high end pens. Too bad I'd never be able to afford one.

Depending on the size and weight, I might be getting one of the Explorers. Hopefully someone will have them at the Ohio Pen Show (okay, that's really early in November, but still... ;)). I'll admit that I could very easily have been that person posting "NO NO NO NO NO" on that VP. On the other hand, it would be really nice if they came out with some more colors of Decimos (although those are not cheap pens) *and* made more of the Decimo colors available in the US. If they came out with a yellow one (say, to match the bright yellow VP) I could see myself being tempted....

Thanks for posting the link.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

You're welcome, I like giving heads up to the community member here since I have not seen it being posted before

• 1 month later...

You would think that Japan would have this pen, but Pilot Japan would have released a Japanese press release, no Japanese reviews, and no seller I know of that is carrying it. Where'd this pen come from that the US has it on offer before Japan? Oh well, anyway it seems more likely not to be a purchase for me unless a year from now people are saying they love it (after this whole 100th-anniversary let-down has ended).

I also think that it is a strange move by Pilot by not releasing any lower end pens on their 100th anniversary.

A small hallmark as you've said can give a big difference, I understand there are limited edition Kakunos but those are not sold to the public CMIIW.

Why not denote the 100th on the nib of the VP or the Explorer? Or somewhere. That would generate sales, I would think.

Since Vanishing Point nib units are easily swapable, it would be meaningless to mark the nib. I'd be able to put the unit in my 1980s era Vanishing point (the basic black hexagonal -- looks like a mass-market Scripto pencil with a fountain pen nib) but that doesn't now make that pen a 100th year model.

I also think that it is a strange move by Pilot by not releasing any lower end pens on their 100th anniversary.

A small hallmark as you've said can give a big difference, I understand there are limited edition Kakunos but those are not sold to the public CMIIW.

Why is it strange?

As I said in the 100th Anniversary thread, Pilot rarely releases a lower end pen as part of their anniversary. I can only think of maybe three or four instances in the last 50 years that they have done so and some of those people here would still find expensive. Sailor or Platinum maybe more inclined to do so but even they do not do it rarely. The Platinum 90th Anniversary pen was $1000 and the Sailor 100th Anniversary pens were in the $2000 range. The cheapest Anniversary pen I can think of is the Pilot M90 for the 90th Anniversary. People have to accept the fact that when these Japanese companies celebrate their Anniversaries, they tend to put out something special and highest quality. It's not in their mindset to put out an Anniversary pen to hit some mass market price point.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

That is true, but strange as in why not try something different you know? They already have a bucket load of their unique Maki-e pens, why not release a special edition of the all popular Metropolitans, just for this year. I am not saying designing a totally new lower end pens just to commemorate their anniversary.

But people's perspective are different from one another and I am not opposed to the way they celebrate their 100th anniversary. In fact seeing the unboxing of the 100th anniversary set on the GPC video is really satisfying to me.

> I am not opposed to the way they celebrate their 100th anniversary

I am opposed and decided not buy any Pilot pen - not even used ones. No need to find arguments for excusing arrogant behaviour.

Ballpens => Zebra pens are much cheaper and write as good as Pilot pens (or if more expensive: CdA or Waldmann or OttoHutt ball-pens or ...)

Fountain pens => Sailor or Platinum*; otherwise Pelikan or ..

*if they have better things to offer next year when they have their 100th anniversary

> I am not opposed to the way they celebrate their 100th anniversary

I am opposed and decided not buy any Pilot pen - not even used ones. No need to find arguments for excusing arrogant behaviour.

Ballpens => Zebra pens are much cheaper and write as good as Pilot pens (or if more expensive: CdA or Waldmann or OttoHutt ball-pens or ...)

Fountain pens => Sailor or Platinum*; otherwise Pelikan or ..

*if they have better things to offer next year when they have their 100th anniversary

Why do you think it is arrogant? They have a philosophy and they have been consistent in following it for decades.

You seem comfortable in buying Sailor but Sailor doesn't really make cheap pens for their anniversary either. So why are you singling out Pilot?

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065