I Got It! Gunmetal Fc Loom - M

Eric2018

With many goodwill found on web, I bought the FC Loom

Gunmetal - M nib
A short review on the pen I got, for using more than a week
XonWk5B.jpg
Pros
The finishing of the pen is unbelievably well done.
Cool design, especially the cap, bravo!
Sturdy, aluminium section and barrel. (metal thicker than Lamy AL)
Love the nib, handsome and is smooth so the writing experience is pretty enjoyable.
No hard start, no skip even in speed writing, not too wet, not too dry, very reliable.
Unbeatable price from Cultpens, with a silver Loom ballpoint as a gift.
Helpful FC converter (bought separately), it is easy to get it fully loaded.
Cons
The cap is toooooo tight. Really hard to get the pen "open".
The matte finishing is nice, but too nice, the section and the barrel metal are too smooth that making it slippery, and the rings on the section can't help neither. I can't control the pen well, it even "escape" from my hand when I'm in thinking during a writing pause.
I need to push the cap a bit hard to get it posted, feeling quite guilty to do so actually...
Too light for me if un-posted.
Line variation is limited, yet there will have some when pushing the nib hard.
2ClhjCW.jpg
Ink: Pilot Iroshizuku Syo-ro
Conclusion
For this price range, really difficult to find another to beat Loom.
Light, classy, reliable, smooth and affordable: Loom satisfies all for sure.
I can't hold the pen well, so it seems not the pen for me, just personal.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapprman

• Honeybadgers

• Eric2018

• Antenociticus

the cap gets easier to open, it just needs to be broken in. It always stays firm, but it does become one-hand-able.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I've got two Looms, one on which the cap behaves as described – really hard to pull it off, and some effort required to cap it again – and another in which the cap works just fine. Generally I like the pen, though.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

Thanks. I've got one of these in a Jet Pens wish list, just waiting for the right moment.

I got a silver one a couple of years ago, and same experience that you've had with the grip and cap. But it writes and behaves very, very well. I've had Aurora Black ink in it for at least six months now, and it simply writes as a good pen should.

When I got my first one I made a mistake and got a broad nib. Was way too broad (and even too wet!) for me. I sent it to FC on their nib exchange program. They will exchange a nib and charge you a nominal fee. They put a fine on mine, no charge, and they sent it back with a gracious personal note and a bag of FC goodies. Great for good will!

Personally, I wouldn't go for the gunmetal or piano finishes on the loom. Fingerprint magnets. I love the simple silver with the blue or orange cap.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 months later...

I bought this recently after already owning another Loom.

Both pens are really smooth to write with and I have no issues in holding them. However, I can understand those that do.

Cap is tight but that’s ok.

These pens do impress straight out of the box and I’m really happy with it.

My thoughts are very similar to your own. This was not my first Faber Castell and I had tried a couple of Looms before but did not remember the section being so slippery. I do wonder if there was a slight change in design and manufacture back when they changed the cap colours of the non gunmetal versions.

Looks wise it works really well and it is a good price point. I actually found the cap to be rather satisfying, a do like the positive firm action and that 'click', also the pen's not going to fall out of a pocket by accident as it hosts a very good clip. It is, however, made to a price point and the metal body is not that strong, I managed to ding mine in a pocket containing only a paper tissue (I think it was pressure from the seam).

Nib wise - classic Faber Castell steel nib from all their pens aside from the Grip and WRITink - I'll happily argue it's not only the best steel nib from a mass manufacturer of pens, but also provides a better writing experience than many a gold nib. The nib is also juicy, I was using GvFC Hazelnut Brown, which is a dry ink, and it flowed well.

Writing experience wise, once I had a decent grip, it was great, but getting it in to a comfortable hold could be frustrating.

Here's a link to my full review, which as mentioned does match the OPs views.

http://i.imgur.com/YTlWBWO.jpg

Edited by dapprman

The nib, as you said, is very nice.

Yes, it is better than many god nib for sure I think.

Sadly that no other fancy nib options, like stub, flex or italic, are available.

That's the problem for FC, seems I don't have enough reason to get another FC... actually I'm thinking the wood stuff before, but if the I keep choosing the same medium nib, why I need to?

Well here's a shock. Got to try a 1+ year old Shiny Gunmetal Loom today, the one I mentioned in my review. It was heavier and the grip section had a non-sticky layer on it, making the pen a completely different beast. Looks like when they did the refresh earlier this year, it was not just the regularly pens they updated, but the gunmetal ones as well, for the worse. :(

I just received the Light Blue/ Silver Loom a few days ago. I’m having a hard time keeping my fingers on the grip. I need to figure out a solution to the problem.

Lorraine

I have not failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work.

Thomas A. Edison

I just received the Light Blue/ Silver Loom a few days ago. I’m having a hard time keeping my fingers on the grip. I need to figure out a solution to the problem.

Lorraine

If that is a problem then I believe you did not have a chance to try it.

It's actually one of the drawbacks of a metal section pen, hope you have an option to return the pen if the design does not suit your preference.