Pens, Inks And Samples Pass-Around In Australia

A Smug Dill

6 hours ago, webshu said:

@Jamerelbe ah well thanks for clarifying that. We’ll see how I go with getting to 20 or more posts. 

@webshu it's not all that hard - I'm pretty sure your score goes up every time you comment on someone else's thread.  Consider it an incentive to be an active contributor to the forum! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• loganrah

• AntiqueApprentice

• saulyleeplans

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad to see that interest in this box has livened up! Though this is the first time I've posted in this thread, I have been following the updates with great interest. Perhaps in the future I may put my hand up to receive it and add a few items, but these days I am far too busy and use FPs less often that I would like. I look forward to reading your collective experiences with this box! Has the box ever visited a pen meet?

14 hours ago, Ayami_109 said:

Glad to see that interest in this box has livened up! Though this is the first time I've posted in this thread, I have been following the updates with great interest. Perhaps in the future I may put my hand up to receive it and add a few items, but these days I am far too busy and use FPs less often that I would like. I look forward to reading your collective experiences with this box! Has the box ever visited a pen meet?

@Ayami_109, I sympathise with your situation - I manage to use my fountain pens fairly regularly, but don't have the time I used to for tinkering and trying different inks.  I've had the box in my possession for longer than I intended, because it took a month or two just to find time to dip into it!  It was fun trying a few different inks, and perusing some of the sample pens...

I've swapped out a couple of inks, and added a couple more pens to the box, in hopes that'll make it more appealing, but in consultation with @A Smug Dill, am waiting for someone with more than 20 posts to put their hand up for it next!

On 4/4/2021 at 4:22 PM, Jamerelbe said:

@Ayami_109, I sympathise with your situation - I manage to use my fountain pens fairly regularly, but don't have the time I used to for tinkering and trying different inks.  I've had the box in my possession for longer than I intended, because it took a month or two just to find time to dip into it!  It was fun trying a few different inks, and perusing some of the sample pens...

I've swapped out a couple of inks, and added a couple more pens to the box, in hopes that'll make it more appealing, but in consultation with @A Smug Dill, am waiting for someone with more than 20 posts to put their hand up for it next!

@Jamerelbe in this case, if nobody puts their hand up after another while then perhaps I will! Will see! I recall a few interested members a little while back?

1 hour ago, Ayami_109 said:

@Jamerelbe in this case, if nobody puts their hand up after another while then perhaps I will! Will see! I recall a few interested members a little while back?

Either they're new to the forum (fewer than 20 posts), or haven't replied to a DM, or both - so the box is still waiting for its next destination! 

• 4 months later...

I came across a reference to this post in @A Smug Dill's blog and thought I would check it out.  It's an clever method although I guess those of us who are most likely to benefit (new to the scene and not familiar with as many products) are also those less likely to be reliably involved in the community and have much to contribute.  

That being said if it's still going round I wouldn't mind putting my hand up for it if I qualify - I would like to look at some different brands etc before buying again and there's nothing like seeing things in the flesh! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 6:42 PM, awaking said:

I came across a reference to this post in @A Smug Dill's blog and thought I would check it out.  It's an clever method although I guess those of us who are most likely to benefit (new to the scene and not familiar with as many products) are also those less likely to be reliably involved in the community and have much to contribute.  

That being said if it's still going round I wouldn't mind putting my hand up for it if I qualify - I would like to look at some different brands etc before buying again and there's nothing like seeing things in the flesh! 

Hi @awaking, my apologies for taking so long to reply!  The pass-around box is in my possession at the moment (and has been for quite a while).  @A Smug Dilland I agreed we'd prefer to see people with a bit of a track record on FPN (at least 20 posts) participate, rather than someone who's completely new to the forum - and at 29 posts (thus far) you make the cut!  I'll DM you to get your details - and try to get the box off to the post office in the next little while (I'm in a part of regional NSW that is still in lockdown, which makes things a bit trickier to navigate!).  

Feel free to take and use samples, and to swap pens in and out (I added a couple of nice lower-end pens that you're more than welcome to keep - including a Pilot Metropolitan!)

Thanks @Jamerelbe

I'm curious but not in a desperate hurry so don't break any curfews!😄

The only shop that I know of here which stocks a decent range of fp's here is pencraft which favours the higher end pen's so it will be interesting to see some cheaper ones and different brands in person without indiscriminate buying.

I look forward to seeing it!

• 2 months later...

After a lengthy delay (some of it COVID lock-down related), I've finally gotten the box off to the post office and on to its next recipient - with a slightly larger box to allow a bit more room for the inks I was letting go.  Hopefully @awaking will see it soon - and then repost a message here when it's ready to resume its travels. 

Thanks again to @A Smug Dillfor kicking this off in the first place - it was fun to see (and try) some different inks, and to have an opportunity to pass on a few inks and pens of my own.

@Jamerelbe Thanks for keeping the pass-around initiative alive and adding to it!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Thankyou @Jamerelbe the parcel arrived today in perfect condition and beautifully packed.  I am embarrassed to admit the first thing I did after unpacking and checking everything was ok was sort things by number and place on the spreadsheet 😍.  I look forward to examining and trying a few new things that I wouldn't normally over the next little while.

@A Smug Dill thanks so much for starting this great resource!

If anyone is interested to receive the box next please PM me, the fun is in the sharing!

• 3 months later...

Well after having a great time trying a whole bunch of interesting things I would have taken a long time and large collection to buy I am ready to pass the parcel.

I managed to confirm my feeling that I really struggle to find a green I like and should probably just avoid them.  I also figured out that despite how amazing some colours look in sunlight what I am really looking for much of the time is ink that looks great at work - lots of fluro's and spirax notebooks!  Great to sample some IG inks that I would have otherwise been to wary to try and I now plan to add some IG/waterproofs to my collection.

It was really handy to try different types of nibs and filling mechanisms too and to try my hand at cleaning a couple of stained pens that were in the box (they are going to need someone a bit more skilled than me).

Hopefully I have added some bits and pieces that will be useful to others to keep things going so if you are interested to give this pass around a try and have done 20 posts please PM me and I will send it your way!  😄

Glad to see the initiative is still alive!

32 minutes ago, awaking said:

lots of fluro's and spirax notebooks!  Great to sample some IG inks that I would have otherwise been to wary to try and I now plan to add some IG/waterproofs to my collection.

In my experience, Platinum Blue-Black is the iron-gall ink that sheens most readily, including under artificial lighting.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 3 months later...

Can't wait to see where the box ends up next. I'm not in a position to add to it yet, but would love to participate once I'm more settled in the hobby. But I'm having a lot of fun reading about this box's adventures around Australia.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @A Smug Dill, Wow!! I'm so happy and amazed that after so many years the pass-around box still has a life.  Well done on the concept and initiative to get it started and keep it going.  BTW I'm not putting my hand up for the box, we're about to move from Qld to Tasmania and will think about it once we're settled.

Rather, I have a couple of suggestions to offer and keen on feedback:

• It appears the contents spreadsheet link is now broken. Maybe I was doing something wrong or it's located somewhere else but the link appears broken.
  • RE: comments about keeping it below 5kg. What about having another box sent branch out on it's journey.  Whatever can't fit in a box can be sent to a different person.  Alternatively start a particular theme box e.g. specific coloured inks and associated paraphernalia, or "vintage" vs "new".  A couple of years ago, I was a reviewer for a seller on Amazon.com and can start doing that again to add the "new" pens to a box.  As many may already know, I also have a good collection of "vintage" pens to contribute.  Of course, if any pens experience problems, people can send them to me for repair/restoration, and then join the box (wherever it is at the time).
  • Having run calligraphy classes (pre-Covid), I have nibs, pen holders, and pens, as well as lots of practice sheets to contribute. Given how quickly the last box made it above 3kgs, it shouldn't take long to fill it. Unfortunately, everything of mine is currently in a shipping container but happy start it later if there's interest.
  • In the beginning, I suggested including a page with the box so people can include their contact details.  What about an online spreadsheet instead (similar to the contents list) for people to add there names and also those wishing to be next in line for the boxes. Alternatively, it could be emailed rather than an online link. This way we have a list of where it's been, and their comments about their experience with the contents.  However, this one would be in addition to the "next in line" list as it would harder for people to add themselves to it. 

Any other thoughts.

Most of all a great cheer our to @A Smug Dill, immensely admired for starting such a great venture.  I hope others will join me with their cheers, he deserves it.

cheers . . 

Danny

Hi @RedDingo, it's been a while!

1 hour ago, RedDingo said:

It appears the contents spreadsheet link is now broken. Maybe I was doing something wrong or it's located somewhere else but the link appears broken.

Access to it has been removed by the spreadsheet owner (@loganrah) some time ago; or perhaps it was just deleted as deemed to be no longer of interest.

1 hour ago, RedDingo said:

RE: comments about keeping it below 5kg.

I don't think the gross weight was running that close to 5kg. Rather, now that Australia Post has moved (a couple of years ago) to size-based rather than weight-based pricing classes for the prepaid Parcel Post and Express Post shipping bags and boxes it sells directly, it's a matter of packing things tightly while still having adequate protection inside the box, if minimising postage charges is of active interest.

2 hours ago, RedDingo said:

Whatever can't fit in a box can be sent to a different person.  Alternatively start a particular theme box e.g. specific coloured inks and associated paraphernalia, or "vintage" vs "new".

I thought about starting a second box, a long time ago, but I don't think there is enough interest among Australian hobbyists to really sustain two or more boxes doing the rounds in parallel. As it is, the one box we have hardly moves on.

I guess we should revisit whether the idea of redistributing surplus and/or unwanted pens, inks, and paraphernalia around using a caravan model really works. I understand there is probably more interest in getting products to play with and review, like a sort of travelling library, with the option to lay claim if something then takes one's fancy; as opposed to just moving surplus stuff along so they get a chance of ending up in the hands of someone who wants it, without putting the onus on the owner of surplus stuff to do a series of labour-intensive “PIFs” so that would-be takers can be more discriminating and target only what they want. It shouldn't be a “taker's market”, in my opinion, especially if someone has multiple and/or a variety of items to give away.

However, please don't let me stop you or anyone else start a second box or parallel initiative. :) I'm done experimenting with the idea, and have derived some “learnings” from the exercise. These days, I mainly just offer privately when I see some mention of what particular fellow Aussie hobbyists are after, but find difficult or too costly to get Down Under, and I happen to have some units or volume of those products to spare.