Pens, Inks And Samples Pass-Around In Australia

A Smug Dill

Thanks, I did manage to find it. Already testing it out in my MB149.

I've updated the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cmy6369rXYokjBJ4ZZNWT7oCNWuBM7ARpG2xrO5uqLk/edit?usp=sharing

At this point the box is extremely full, so I've basically just replaced what I took out with about the same amount in samples and bottles. (It seems to me that the least likely thing in there to be useful to anyone is the cartridges so it might be an idea for someone who would use them to take out the two boxes to free up some space. I don't use cartridges, and I've only got two pens those would fit anyway, so I won't.)

Amanda: I checked out the pen wrap and I really like the construction. It definitely feels sturdy and I can't imagine pens getting damaged in there unless you did something crazy like stand on it. However, the pattern isn't really for me so I'm going to leave it in the box for someone else to appreciate.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• loganrah

• AntiqueApprentice

• saulyleeplans

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@loganrah, I'm not sure if you picked up or at least tried any of the Noodler's Prime of the Commons blue-black ink the first time the box came around to you, but its colour is more of a dark teal than a dark blue, so it may yet fit with your quest for petrol-coloured ink. It's not a limited edition, although as I understand it there is only one retailer (in the UK) that carries it. I relinquished my 3oz bottle at the start because I can't stand the woolly outline it makes on most papers including Rhodia, but since then I've come across one or two types of paper on which it doesn't feather. I think someone found good use for two-thirds of that bottle (excellent!) but rebottled the final 30ml of it in a Diamine-style plastic bottle. If you haven't tried it, give it a go, and perhaps compare it with Noodler's AirCorp Blue Black (which is also dark teal, but more vivid and less "petrol" like).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Amanda: I checked out the pen wrap and I really like the construction. It definitely feels sturdy and I can't imagine pens getting damaged in there unless you did something crazy like stand on it. However, the pattern isn't really for me so I'm going to leave it in the box for someone else to appreciate.

That's cool. If you need to save space in the box when it moves on you could just bin it. I was already thinking it was just a thought experiment that's failed.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

That's cool. If you need to save space in the box when it moves on you could just bin it. I was already thinking it was just a thought experiment that's failed.

I definitely wouldn't say that. I really like the construction and the quality. I'm just quite specific about the patterns I like in things, and they have to match my clothes... If you made them in plain black, or better yet crimson paisley, I'd probably buy one. Also, unfolded the wrap doesn't take up much space and does offer extra cushioning, which I can only imagine is a good thing, even with a whole lot of bubble wrap around the box.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@loganrah No, there is no point in wasting effort packing and another (~$15) lot of postage if nobody wants what the respective contributors have deemed to be surplus pens and inks in need of a good/new home. Please deal with or dispose of the contents as you wish, if it's just taking up precious space in your home that you'd prefer to reclaim sooner rather than later.

I'm glad some of the new bottles (Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz, and a couple of bottles of Noodler's?) found a new home with you. They weren't ever going to get used here.

It's abundantly clear to me — and, I suppose, all of us? — that there is no active sharing of stuff among enthusiasts 'locally' in Australia, it's because there isn't sufficient interest in participation in such initiatives from the hobbyist community here at large, and not for lack of giving or trying. Maybe the consumer mindset reigns supreme here; we (as individuals) know what we want, and we'll just buy it for ourselves when the price is right. Time is so precious these days, and there isn't any motivation to spend time trying out products that weren't previously known to us or on our personal horizons.

I'd like to thank everyone for their participation and contribution thus far, and I'm grateful to have picked up some inks bottles and samples that are outside my normal 'comfort zone' of brands, when the box came back to me earlier this year in a way I never planned on. Thanks especially to @AmandaW for her contribution of her beautiful original handmade pen wraps!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I have the space to hold on to it for now, so I will just leave it at the back of a cupboard in case someone new comes around and decides they'd like a look in.

I might try out some of the things I didn't think I'd be much interested in if it sits there long enough.

Thanks for organising this Dill, and to everyone else whose participated. More sharing like this can only be good for us I think

Hi @loganrah, I've been reluctant to jump on board the pass-around, as life is pretty busy for me at the moment, and I didn't want to hold up the passing around of the box - but if it's just sitting at your place, maybe it could sit for a while at mine instead? I also have a few surplus inks (and maybe some pens) that I'd be happy to pass on, should there be any other takers down the track.

Are you happy for me to DM you with contact details? Cheers! [No rush if you want more time with the box - just let me know!]

@jamerelbe I'd be more than happy to pass it on you. Send me your details and I'll get it off this week.

Thanks @loganrah, a bit belated, but I've dropped a message in to your FPN inbox today!

The box is on its way to Jeremelbe.

In the hopes that someone is interested but sitting on the fence, the current list of items in the box is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cmy6369rXYokjBJ4ZZNWT7oCNWuBM7ARpG2xrO5uqLk/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks @loganrah, it's helpful to see the list - will update it once I've sampled a few of the inks! And thanks for sending the parcel on, I'll look forward to seeing it when it arrives!

• 1 month later...

Hi, i found this topic some months ago, but was unable to join the FPN.

I tried again today and was successful. I got back into fountain pens this year, and have discovered I enjoy the inks more than pens. And would love to sample some new inks. I do have some i can add to the stash.

Is this ink pass around still available to join ?

Thanks

Andrew
Ballarat, Victoria

On 12/14/2020 at 4:38 PM, Nevermind Ranch said:

Hi, i found this topic some months ago, but was unable to join the FPN.

I tried again today and was successful. I got back into fountain pens this year, and have discovered I enjoy the inks more than pens. And would love to sample some new inks. I do have some i can add to the stash.

Is this ink pass around still available to join ?

Thanks

Andrew
Ballarat, Victoria

Hi Andrew,

The ink pass-around reached me just before the temporary shut down of FPN, but I haven't really had time to look through it yet (November-December has been crazy busy!).  I'm very happy to forward it on in the New Year, though, if you'd like to be the next in line to receive it.  Maybe drop me a DM, to touch base more directly?

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

Who has the box at the moment and is there a waiting list to get it back?

Lee

I'm learning as I go. I am slightly obsessed with Fountain Pens!

www.penspaperink.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I'm brand new to the forum, though I noticed this thread a year or so ago as a lurker.

I'd be interested in getting the box in turn if that's OK. I do have some inks and possibly some a couple of pens. I'm Sydney based.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, the pass-around is still happening - the box of goodies is currently in my possession, and ready for its next adventure!  In discussion with @A Smug Dill who got the ball rolling, our preference is for the box to be passed between FPN members who at least have a few posts under their belt (say 20 or more?), and are therefore more of a 'known quantity' on the forum.  I've already reached out to a couple of people on this thread by DM, who'd expressed an interest in receiving the parcel next, but not heard anything back, so... maybe put up a post or send me a DM if you're interested?