Pens, Inks And Samples Pass-Around In Australia

A Smug Dill

Yes, thank you very much to A Smug Dil and the others who have so kindly and generously contributed to this box. I am most grateful to you.

Cheers

AA

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• loganrah

• AntiqueApprentice

• saulyleeplans

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

For the sake of transparency, I have listed the items that I have removed from the box along with some quick comments about my initial thoughts on these items. I hope that this is OK and if it is not, please let me know and I will remove the post.

All inks were used on Tomoe River paper.

Photo Flo (sample vial)

I am yet to use this but do have a couple of dryish inks that I will add a drop of this to next time that I use them. Thank you for adding it.

Troublemakers Ink Dona Victorina (Bottle)

A lovely medium strength deep purple ink from a manufacturer that I had heard of but not tried before. The ink has some serious shading/sheen in what is virtually a dark green and I can easily see myself using this ink in the future. Thank you. It goes onto the TR paper quite dark but dried a share or two lighter. Reasonably wet and very high pigmentation, I think.

Diamine Sapphire Blue (Bottle)

I had not tried any of the Diamine inks before this one and was very pleasantly surprised with how how it behaved. It is a clean blue that still has a hint of a red sheen and some shading and I will use this in the future. Thank you.

Diamine Marine (sample)

Used in a dryish pen, this ink still flowed very nicely across the page and showed some subtle shading and halo. It is a teal colour that my wife loves and may well confiscate from me before I get a chance to try the sample again in a wetter pen. I think this is one that we will now buy a bottle of as a result of trying the sample.

Diamine Oxblood (sample)

I was aware of this ink and hoping to find some at some stage so was pleasantly surprised, and grateful, to find a sample vial within the PIF box. The ink goes on a lighter red but then dried a couple of shades darker into that Oxblood colour. I'll give it another writing test with a wetter pen but I could see this ink being one that I might use again in the future.

Van Diemans Enchanted Woods (sample)

I am starting to like the inks from this manufacturer having tried a couple before this one. This is a shimmer ink and I am not a huge fan of those so I deliberately chose not to shake the vial and disturb the shimmer particles. The ink is a darkish green that behaved quite nicely and I will give it a few more writing samples before making a decision as to whether or not I will buy a bottle and write more with this one. I am grateful, either way, for the chance to try this ink.

Robert Oster Blue Lagoon (sample)

A lighter blue ink (almost electric blue) with noticeable sheen even with a pen that is only average in terms of wetness. I will use more of this sample vial to try it again for a 2nd writing sample with a wetter pen but I can easily see this ink being one that I would buy a bottle of as a result of this sample.

Iroshizuku Kon Peki (sample)

This sample vial was only 1/2 full, at best, so I won't get to do much of a writing sample but from the one done so far it was very nice and an ink that I may well add to my bottled collection one day. A nice royal blue with good shading and still a sheen as well. I will use the remainder in a wetter pen soon and see how that goes.

Sailor Sie boku (No 2 Sample)

My first look at a Sailor ink. A blue-black ink which is a colour that I don't use a lot but quite nice all the same with some interesting shading noticed in an average pen. I'll use some more of the sample to try this again in a wetter pen before deciding whether to adopt this ink for the future.

Sailor Hakkakuao (No 204 sample)

I am grateful for the opportunity to try the Sailor inks today as they came well regarded but still new to me. This one is a lovely dark teal colour that I want to explore further but initial look shows it as similar to the Lamy T53 Crystal ink in Amazonite, perhaps. I've only just tried this but definitely plan to try it more with a better pen. I could easily see this ink being added to my permanent collection.

I also tried the two Jinhao x750 pens that were in the box. The red one seemed to regularly hard start on me that will probably be easy enough to fix but I have left it in the box for some one else whose handwriting style may be different to mine. I will try the black one properly soon before deciding whether to keep that or leave it in the box. Both pens punch above their weight in that they look and feel substantial and speak of quality. I had not used a Jinhao pen before and was pleasantly surprised.

For the record, I have added 2 bottles of ink (Robert Oster 2019 Melbourne Pen Show Flaming blue and Ancient Song peach blossom ) to the box along with a number of samples from Blackstone, Robert Oster and Lamy that added up to more than I took from the box. If I have done the wrong thing by taking the bottles, please let me know and I will put them back before the box goes to the next lucky person.

Thank you, again, to A Smug Dil and the others who have so generously contributed to the box.

Cheers

AA
Edited by AntiqueApprentice

Sailor Hakkakuao (No 204 sample)

I am grateful for the opportunity to try the Sailor inks today_...‹snip›... I could easily see this ink being added to my permanent collection.

You may find it immensely difficult to acquire more of this ink. As far as I know, there is only a single retailer selling it out of Japan. I'd seen it offered on eBay in the past (by that retailer, no doubt, even though it used a different name from how it is known in Rakuten Global Market), but not any more.

Edit: I just checked, and it seems this retailer has marked hakkakuao as sold out on Rakuten Global Market.

It is very close to Sailor Shikiori yamadori, which is a lot easier to come by. Kobe INK Story #44 Sumaura Seaside Blue (which is also manufactured by Sailor) is also quite close to it.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

You may find it immensely difficult to acquire more of this ink. As far as I know, there is only a single retailer selling it out of Japan. I'd seen it offered on eBay in the past (by that retailer, no doubt, even though it used a different name from how it is known in Rakuten Global Market), but not any more.

Edit: I just checked, and it seems this retailer has marked hakkakuao as sold out on Rakuten Global Market.

It is very close to Sailor Shikiori yamadori, which is a lot easier to come by. Kobe INK Story #44 Sumaura Seaside Blue (which is also manufactured by Sailor) is also quite close to it.

Hi Thanks for that. That is good to know that there are good alternatives. I'll keep that in mind when the time comes to place an order. I'm still wading through some inks that I have only recently acquired anyway so I won't be ordering anything at all for a few months, if I can avoid the temptation! biggrin.png

Are you in Vic AA?

Just curious if RO 2019 Flaming Blue has been sold elsewhere after the Melb Pen Show :) they did still have a fair pile of stock by time I left the show.

Are you in Vic AA?

Just curious if RO 2019 Flaming Blue has been sold elsewhere after the Melb Pen Show smile.png they did still have a fair pile of stock by time I left the show.

Hi Tamiya

Yes, yes, I am in Victoria. I am not surprised they had a lot of ink left over. I thought that the show price for the bottle was actually dearer than the RO inks that I have bought previously through retailers.

Have you tried it?

Cheers

AA

Hi Tamiya

I am not surprised they had a lot of ink left over. I thought that the show price for the bottle was actually dearer than the RO inks that I have bought previously through retailers.

Have you tried it?

How much was it, $20? Or $25? Yeah I did buy a bottle on my way out... more it of habit than need, good to support the show etc etc. :) think I might've given it a quick dip test on the day... didn't look that interesting, it's just a mid blue eh?

Just rediscovered the bottle this week whilst fishing for something to fill a new pen with, but "Hippo Purple" sounded more intriguing.

How much was it, $20? Or $25? Yeah I did buy a bottle on my way out... more it of habit than need, good to support the show etc etc. smile.png think I might've given it a quick dip test on the day... didn't look that interesting, it's just a mid blue eh?

Just rediscovered the bottle this week whilst fishing for something to fill a new pen with, but "Hippo Purple" sounded more intriguing.

Hey

yes, that sounds about right. Like you, I bought the bottle more to support the organisers and out of curiosity more than any great interest. I agree with your assessment....nothing special.

Now, Hippo Purple does sound interesting! Care to share your thoughts on that one, too?

Cheers

AA

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to be added to the box's itinerary when it's next heading to WA if I may. I've been experimenting with making pen wraps and would like to pass some on for comment/feedback and give away, the box seems like the perfect way to do so. They don't weight much - cotton fabric and light-weight padding - so shouldn't overload the box.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

OOh im a sucker for pen accessories. Can we see a pic of them just to be a sticky beak?

I'm learning as I go. I am slightly obsessed with Fountain Pens!

www.penspaperink.com

Given Australia Post's move to the "If It Packs, It Posts" charging regime for Parcel Post, the weight limit is now 5kg and not 3kg as when we started this; and if we're using the Large satchel (which is about the same size as the old 3kg satchel), the cost of sending is now $15.70.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Given Australia Post's move to the "If It Packs, It Posts" charging regime for Parcel Post, the weight limit is now 5kg and not 3kg as when we started this; and if we're using the Large satchel (which is about the same size as the old 3kg satchel), the cost of sending is now $15.70.

Thanks for that update. We had a feeling that the cost was going to be about that when the time comes to move it on. It's good to hear that the weight limit has increased though as the box is full!

• 1 month later...

I would like to be added to the box's itinerary when it's next heading to WA if I may. I've been experimenting with making pen wraps and would like to pass some on for comment/feedback and give away, the box seems like the perfect way to do so. They don't weight much - cotton fabric and light-weight padding - so shouldn't overload the box.

I've sent you a PM to get your address for sending this box to you. I'm sorry for the delay but I totally missed your post....somehow. Dementia???? Stupidity??? Both possibly. I am sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

I am yet to hear from Amanda so if someone else would like this box in the meantime, please just ask and I will have it in the post within a day or two.

I am yet to hear from Amanda so if someone else would like this box in the meantime, please just ask and I will have it in the post within a day or two.

Sorry I missed the post. Given the state of postage in this state it's probably best for me to step out of the line anyway. It took AusPost 11 days to get a small package from one post office to a box at another less than 20km away. From the east could take a month. Or more.

Hi Amanda

Up to you entirely. The delay is not really an issue though as no one else seems to be interested or waiting for it. We have had it for 3 months anyway....

If you still want it, I can post it Monday for you if you PM me your address

Hi Amanda

Up to you entirely. The delay is not really an issue though as no one else seems to be interested or waiting for it. We have had it for 3 months anyway....

If you still want it, I can post it Monday for you if you PM me your address

OK, will do that. Thankyou. Hopefully there will be others in the west to make it worth it's trek across the desert.

The box has safely arrived in the West in record time. Thankyou AntiqueApprentice.

pass_around_box.jpg

• 3 weeks later...