Help Identifying Duofold

ProfessorB

I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about the blue marbled Duofold in these pictures, which contain other pens for comparison of size, etc. The Lapis Lazuli is definitely a pretty modern Centennial (not sure about the exact dating of that, either). The vac is not a full-sized major, and the Sonnet is, well, a standard Sonnet size.

Couldn't find any Parker date codes, and that flimsy top of the section has me worried a little bit. It is authentic, isn't it? I bought it thinking it was an International, and I was guessing no later than the early 1980's. But that is mostly a guess.

Li'l help?

Scott

post-99968-0-43161200-1535387149_thumb.jpg

post-99968-0-57191100-1535387159_thumb.jpg

post-99968-0-79905900-1535387176_thumb.jpg

post-99968-0-05113900-1535387188_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ProfessorB

• usk15

• daffie

• Charles Rice

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe it is a Duofold International MK1, from late 80-early 90's. The date code should be on the pen's cap.

http://parkerpens.net/centennial.html

Oh, I looked again with a better loupe, and could see (JUST BARELY) the following:

(Parker symbol) PARKER

MADE IN UK

IN

is the "IN" A DATE CODE? I thought it was indicating that this is an International model.

Edited by ProfessorB

Oh, I looked again with a better loupe, and could see (JUST BARELY) the following:

(Parker symbol) PARKER

MADE IN UK

IN

is the "IN" A DATE CODE?

IN

3rd quarter from 1989, July-Sept.

3rd quarter from 1989, July-Sept.

Great! Many thanks for your help, USK15.

It is in excellent condition. Wonder what is worth. Lots to me, because I love the look and the feel of the nib, and I wanted it to use for writing. A lot of writing. This is my first International. Is the $162.50 that I paid for it a good price, a very good price, or a bona fide "find" (?)

That gold colored ring should also screw out of the barrel, connected to the section.

Oh, I see what you mean. I didn't know that it is threaded on both sides. It's stuck onto the barrel very tightly, though. I'd much rather have it connected to the section, but I am worried about damaging the barrel by trying to unscrew it. Any tips?

I think is a fair, good price.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Scott

That gold colored ring is part of the screw in the same colour, screwed into the barrel.

Try with rubber or so to screw it out.

It has to be one part with the section.

Note that you will not be able to fill the pen until you reposition the brass "screw". Right now your cartridge/converter is inside the barrel.

Thanks, All! This is really helpful to me.

I'm having trouble disconnecting it because I don't want to crack the barrel and it is really stuck. Warm water soaking didn't help dislodge whatever is making it stick to the barrel. I'll keep at it but don't have the right pliers .

Thanks, All! This is really helpful to me.

I'm having trouble disconnecting it because I don't want to crack the barrel and it is really stuck. Warm water soaking didn't help dislodge whatever is making it stick to the barrel. I'll keep at it but don't have the right pliers .

Ta da! Tightened it closed with the cap on the barrel and opened it just by holding down the ring while removing the cap.

Congrats it's back to where it should be, but I can't figure out how you can hold down the "ring" with the cap on, as the cap covers it. Holding the ring while unscrewing it from the barrel, yes.

Congrats it's back to where it should be, but I can't figure out how you can hold down the "ring" with the cap on, as the cap covers it. Holding the ring while unscrewing it from the barrel, yes.

Ha! Yes, slip of the tongue, or fingers. I meant to say that I tightened the barrel and section together, then unscrewed the BARREL while holding the ring. Thanks for noticing that!