Received A Letter From An Aunt

BorisoftheStars

Three weeks ago, I wrote a letter to my aunt and mailed it so it would arrive the day she got back from her and my mom's sisters' trip She wrote back to me saying it was the most extraordinary things she ever received in her entire life. It made me happy to get a letter back. She should get a reply from me tomorrow. She asked about my fountain pen collection, but I forgot what I told her in the first letter... and may have repeated what I said about it. Gosh, I'm just so excited about it!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BorisoftheStars

• LizEF

• Erik Dalton

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

Isn't it amazing how a simple letter in a mailbox can make you so happy? Email and text just aren't the same.

You might want to start keeping a copy (scan, photo, whatever) of your own letters, either for reference or history. I have letters I wrote to my parents 20+ years ago, and it's fun to go back and read to see what my life was like back then - those letters have things I don't / didn't remember. In some ways, they're better than a journal.

Doesn’t matter what you already told her. She will be thrilled!

If I told her nothing new, I'd be embarrassed.

Isn't it amazing how a simple letter in a mailbox can make you so happy? Email and text just aren't the same.

You might want to start keeping a copy (scan, photo, whatever) of your own letters, either for reference or history. I have letters I wrote to my parents 20+ years ago, and it's fun to go back and read to see what my life was like back then - those letters have things I don't / didn't remember. In some ways, they're better than a journal.

It is! I never would have thought it'd make me happy! I didn't think she'd get happy either! Surprised? Sure, but not happy.

Yeah, I should do that. It'd help prevent repeating. I'd like to go back and reread my own letters as well. I could perhaps ask her for a copy of each letter I sent.

I’ve been using a spiral notebook to draft out my letters. When I’m happy with it, I write it out on good paper and send it out. I don’t always stick with this system. Sometimes an idea will pop into my head and I’ll start writing on the back of an envelope, or scrap of paper. I later use some tape and attach them to a page in my notebook full of letters.

• 2 weeks later...

That is another dea, and it can help keep misspelled words out of letters too! That's what I thik, anyways.

I wrot back to my aunt, and now I wanna see if he replies. She mentioned she wants to know more about my pens.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, letter writing can bring joy in both sending out a letter as well as receive it. That feeling of finding a letter just for you in your mail box... It's exhilarating, I love it.

And don't let me started on the drafting of the letter and the choosing which stamps to use. (Stamp collector here).

Texts just can't beat that feeling.

I also made a childhood friend super happy by sending her letters when she was studying abroad. She said she absolutely loved them, although she didn't have time to reply to each one.

Personally, I don't write a rough draft of my letters, but I do write down a list of things I want to say. Mainly because so I don't repeat myself in the same letter, which can happen!

the list is useful because I write letters in the span and don't remember what I wrote in which, so I consult the list and don't have to re-read myself, which is embarrassing, I'm very self-critical about my handwriting.

Edited by RoyalBlueNotebooks

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Three weeks ago, I wrote a letter to my aunt and mailed it so it would arrive the day she got back from her and my mom's sisters' trip She wrote back to me saying it was the most extraordinary things she ever received in her entire life. It made me happy to get a letter back. She should get a reply from me tomorrow. She asked about my fountain pen collection, but I forgot what I told her in the first letter... and may have repeated what I said about it. Gosh, I'm just so excited about it!

I am glad you had such a good experience! It is fun! My stepmother recently commented on how fun it was to get a letter I sent her, on which I had decorated the envelope a little. She loves getting any non-bill mail. So I upped my game and try to send interesting envelopes; she emailed me after she got the last one, saying how much she loved it and that the mailcarrier even commented on it. She is an amazingly adaptable woman who is nearing 90; she texts and emails all the time, but still appreciates real communication by mail and it makes me hapoy to get letters from her in return.

Edited by goodpens

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, letter writing can bring joy in both sending out a letter as well as receive it. That feeling of finding a letter just for you in your mail box... It's exhilarating, I love it.

And don't let me started on the drafting of the letter and the choosing which stamps to use. (Stamp collector here).

Texts just can't beat that feeling.

I also made a childhood friend super happy by sending her letters when she was studying abroad. She said she absolutely loved them, although she didn't have time to reply to each one.

Personally, I don't write a rough draft of my letters, but I do write down a list of things I want to say. Mainly because so I don't repeat myself in the same letter, which can happen!

the list is useful because I write letters in the span and don't remember what I wrote in which, so I consult the list and don't have to re-read myself, which is embarrassing, I'm very self-critical about my handwriting.

I replied to her letter, nd she sent another reply. She said when she was young, she tried writing with a fountain pen but didn't like it. She does hope I can save up enough money so I can buy another one. She also mentioned something I never heard of. I have yet to reply to her letter because I need an envelope.

I like it when people are happy to receive letters addressed to them! I don't know why I do. It's awesome your childhood friend enjoyed her letters from you as well! ^_^

I am glad you had such a good experience! It is fun! My stepmother recently commented on how fun it was to get a letter I sent her, on which I had decorated the envelope a little. She loves getting any non-bill mail. So I upped my game and try to send interesting envelopes; she emailed me after she got the last one, saying how much she loved it and that the mailcarrier even commented on it. She is an amazingly adaptable woman who is nearing 90; she texts and emails all the time, but still appreciates real communication by mail and it makes me hapoy to get letters from her in return.

My mail carrier doesn't comment on it, though I'm usually at work when mail for me arrives... and I don't decorate my envelopes. I bet she gets all happy to receive a letter since that was how people used to contact each other, though that's not to say your stepmama is older than before pens were invented. I would try to decorate my envelopes, but I don't think my post office will deliver letters with fancied up envelopes.

I would try to decorate my envelopes, but I don't think my post office will deliver letters with fancied up envelopes.

As long as your decorations do not interfere with the rules required for machine sorting, they will... Basically, put your decorations on the back of the envelope, not the side with the stamp and addresses, and make sure your design doesn't simulate the address side (e.g. don't put a fake stamp, return address, and deliver-to address on the opposite side). As long as the machine can clearly distinguish which side has the address, which way is up / down, and what the address is, you're OK. Below is decoration on an envelope to my niece. On the front side, I drew boxes around the addresses, and dashed lines down the left and right sides, and it was fine.

http://www.paradoxcommunity.com/vps/envelope.jpg

http://www.paradoxcommunity.com/vps/envelope.jpg

Very Nice... I am sure your niece will like it...

I am at work and cant seem to stop going over it again and again... brings my childhood back to life...

Really like the "Let me Out" ... Keep it up...

Very Nice... I am sure your niece will like it...

I am at work and cant seem to stop going over it again and again... brings my childhood back to life...

Really like the "Let me Out" ... Keep it up...

:D Thanks, MB! I do like to do silly - as you say, it keeps one's inner child alive.

• 2 weeks later...

As long as your decorations do not interfere with the rules required for machine sorting, they will... Basically, put your decorations on the back of the envelope, not the side with the stamp and addresses, and make sure your design doesn't simulate the address side (e.g. don't put a fake stamp, return address, and deliver-to address on the opposite side). As long as the machine can clearly distinguish which side has the address, which way is up / down, and what the address is, you're OK. Below is decoration on an envelope to my niece. On the front side, I drew boxes around the addresses, and dashed lines down the left and right sides, and it was fine.http://www.paradoxcommunity.com/vps/envelope.jpg

I don't know how to remove the picture from the quote. Nice picture in the back. I do know if the nvelope is too fancied up, the post office will say "no".

The Letter Writers Alliance has some good information on what you can do to mail. Some of theirs are super covered.

The information will be on their blog, link will be there, called 16sparrows (I don’t think it’s spelled out).

Posted Image

Cool, I'll give them a look up. Someone experimented on their mail, but the post office sent the letter back because the envelope was too prettied up despite mailing address still readable.. I think. I'll have to look for it again, but I lost it.