Namikis - Maki-e style or Plain?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Namikis - Maki-e style or Plain?

• Maki-e
    • Solid colors

Sure thing.

fpn_1540516145__black_18k_gold_vp_f_nib_

I'd say you two are A Match.

Anyway...I didn't vote, on account of my feeling that it's already a bit, should I say, out there that Pilot put a raden version (or four) of such a practical, take-it-damn-near-anyplace FP, never mind fantasizing about a Maki-e/Urushi edition that no one would dare carry outside the home. My fave VP is the matte-black, which already has a rep for a relatively fragile finish, even though I do take it nearly everywhere (as opposed to my pair of Custom 823s, which I take almost everywhere - see attached photo). Of course, one of the things I love about the 823 is that its finish, while lovely, is not so precious as to be terribly paranoid every time I pull one of them out to write wherever I happen to be. And I can't bring myself to blow the cash - as if I had it around to blow - on something I couldn't happily use in the same manner.

post-5986-0-63958000-1546728670_thumb.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truphae_inc

• A Smug Dill

• Donald2

• Maurizio

I wish I would have bought the Raden Galaxy back when they were $304 and readily available. Sigh

I purchased 2 Raden Water Surface about 1 1/2 years ago for either $399 or $499 (I forget) on eBay from e-sell japan. I have a medium and a fine point. Both pens have never been inked or used. They are very beautiful and their colors stick out in the light.

I wonder if I should, or would, have bought the raden 'water surface' design (with the long but sparse stripes of mother-of-pearl) back then, if I'd known that its price would go up far more than that of the raden galaxy. However, I wasn't really taken by it then, and am not any fonder of that look now.

I did succumb and buy a VP with the deep red (resin-injected) birch barrel since my previous post in this thread, though. It's a joy to behold.

I bought 2 VP Raden Water Surface pens about 1 1/2 years ago from e-seller japan for either $399 or $499 (I forget exactly how much I paid). One is a medium nib and the other is a fine nib. Both are very beautiful and all their colors radiate in the light.

I'd say you two are A Match.

Anyway...I didn't vote, on account of my feeling that it's already a bit, should I say, out there that Pilot put a raden version (or four) of such a practical, take-it-damn-near-anyplace FP, never mind fantasizing about a Maki-e/Urushi edition that no one would dare carry outside the home. My fave VP is the matte-black, which already has a rep for a relatively fragile finish, even though I do take it nearly everywhere (as opposed to my pair of Custom 823s, which I take almost everywhere - see attached photo). Of course, one of the things I love about the 823 is that its finish, while lovely, is not so precious as to be terribly paranoid every time I pull one of them out to write wherever I happen to be. And I can't bring myself to blow the cash - as if I had it around to blow - on something I couldn't happily use in the same manner.

I dont blame you. I like the leather carry case that your 823s are stashes in. Who makes the case and where can I get one for my fountain pens?

Both are very beautiful and all their colors radiate in the light.

Sure. That's just the way raden is. I prefer the 'stripes' design to the 'water surface' design, in the distribution of roughly the same number of raden pieces of the same size in the two models, that's all.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct for valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.