• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• K Singh

• vijaych

• Strombomboli

They had built a brand but are losing it with some poor quality and pathetic after sales responses. Maybe the tricks of the trade and the skill hasn’t been learnt by the younger generation resulting in this.

Better to avoid them.

Sad to see them going this way.

• 6 months later...

I have Model 21 (hooded nib one), its a mediocre in quality. I think they should use good quality Indian nibs like Ambitious in their pens. Since nibs are the heart of the pen.

I have Model 21 (hooded nib one), its a mediocre in quality. I think they should use good quality Indian nibs like Ambitious in their pens. Since nibs are the heart of the pen.

The nib used on the 21 is called size 00. Spares should be available at JK and Deccan. Same nib type is used on camlin 47 and WALITY 77. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/54944-ratnamson-21/

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I wish they would make it easier to buy their pens though. I tried to buy this pen from them since I love hooded-nib pens, but wasn't able to do so because of lack of proper communication from their side. I understand dealing with them can be difficult sometimes because of the language barriers. Wish they would work on that.

I wish they would make it easier to buy their pens though. I tried to buy this pen from them since I love hooded-nib pens, but wasn't able to do so because of lack of proper communication from their side. I understand dealing with them can be difficult sometimes because of the language barriers. Wish they would work on that.

Actually now they reply on emails pretty easily

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Actually now they reply on emails pretty easily

Thanks for letting me know. Would try contacting them through email next time.

Their Whatsapp No. 89854 98782, he is active on whatsapp

There are two companies. Ratnam and Ratnamson. This article talks about Ratnamson who are more famous and still handmake gold nibs. Ratnamson is run by the son of the founder of Ratnam pens.

Their contact info is as under.

Mr KV Ramanamurthy,

Ratnamson pens,

Ratnam BallPen Works,

10-7-18, Fort Gate,

Rajahmundry - 533101

Phone: 0883-2498782

Mobile: +91 94945 53866,

+91 89854 98782

Good to hear that they are now on WhatsApp, makes communication easier.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

The nib used on the 21 is called size 00. Spares should be available at JK and Deccan. Same nib type is used on camlin 47 and WALITY 77. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/54944-ratnamson-21/

Hi Sir....

Thanks for the information. I certainly check with the stores you have mentioned. I ordered spare nibs at the time of ordering the pen and more nibs collected from Sultan pens (The shop name is Hilal penstores, it is loacted in old city. "Sultan" is their brand name). The nib came with the pen leaked ink heavily. I could not write a single line.So I changed the nib. Now it writes fine, though nib is little scratchy. I bought this pen because of the legacy of the Ratnam pens, but disappointed with the quality.

Sir... How do you smooth scratchy nibs...

Hi Sir....

Thanks for the information. I certainly check with the stores you have mentioned. I ordered spare nibs at the time of ordering the pen and more nibs collected from Sultan pens (The shop name is Hilal penstores, it is loacted in old city. "Sultan" is their brand name). The nib came with the pen leaked ink heavily. I could not write a single line.So I changed the nib. Now it writes fine, though nib is little scratchy. I bought this pen because of the legacy of the Ratnam pens, but disappointed with the quality.

Sir... How do you smooth scratchy nibs...

I have been to Hilal.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/100189-sultan-pens/

Jai told me about the shop I think

http://jaisiri.blogspot.com/2008/08/looking-for-sultan-pens-in-charminar.html?m=1

There are plenty of guides on fpn describing how to smoothen nibs. Just read through them. Good luck.

Reg the leaking 21. Maybe the nib got loosened from carrier in transit. And when you refitted a new one the fit was snug. I suggest you try refitting the original one again and see. Also seal the section threads.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/287765-filling-instructions-for-indian-eye-dropper-filled-pens/

Edited by hari317

I have been to Hilal.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/100189-sultan-pens/

Jai told me about the shop I think

http://jaisiri.blogspot.com/2008/08/looking-for-sultan-pens-in-charminar.html?m=1

There are plenty of guides on fpn describing how to smoothen nibs. Just read through them. Good luck.

Reg the leaking 21. Maybe the nib got loosened from carrier in transit. And when you refitted a new one the fit was snug. I suggest you try refitting the original one again and see. Also seal the section threads.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/287765-filling-instructions-for-indian-eye-dropper-filled-pens/

Sir,

your top 5 Indian made pens.... I'm sure they will be Gems. In my little interaction with fountain pens, I came to know that Indian made ebonite pens offer more value than that of their western counterparts. I will buy your recommended pens first...

Sir,

your top 5 Indian made pens.... I'm sure they will be Gems. In my little interaction with fountain pens, I came to know that Indian made ebonite pens offer more value than that of their western counterparts. I will buy your recommended pens first...

that list is subjective. Your mileage may certainly vary. I say enjoy the journey of exploration. After you have tried several brands you will have your own subjective list. Also the more pens you try your expectation level comes down. You become adept at carrying out minor tweaks to suit your preferences. This has been my experience.

Their Whatsapp No. 89854 98782, he is active on whatsapp

Thanks for sharing this. Actually I don't use whatsapp, so I contacted them via sms to which I received a reply after 14 days! And after responding to that I never heard back from them again. But as Vaibhav has pointed out I'll try to contact them via email next time.

There are two companies. Ratnam and Ratnamson. This article talks about Ratnamson who are more famous and still handmake gold nibs. Ratnamson is run by the son of the founder of Ratnam pens.

Their contact info is as under.

Mr KV Ramanamurthy,

Ratnamson pens,

Ratnam BallPen Works,

10-7-18, Fort Gate,

Rajahmundry - 533101

Phone: 0883-2498782

Mobile: +91 94945 53866,

+91 89854 98782

Good to hear that they are now on WhatsApp, makes communication easier.

Yes I came to know about the two companies thanks to reading earlier posts on fpn. Will try to contact them again in future on their email address or their second phone number. Thanks for sharing this.

K Singh, the very best way to contact them, since you are in India, is to call their landline number after 5 pm. Ask to speak to Mr Ramanamurthy. He speaks English. Ask all your questions etc. Their USP is handmade gold nib pens. Their steel nib pens are much cheaper and use third party nibs and may cause some disappointment. If you must buy their steel nibbed pen, go for the supreme.

Best

Hari

K Singh, the very best way to contact them, since you are in India, is to call their landline number after 5 pm. Ask to speak to Mr Ramanamurthy. He speaks English. Ask all your questions etc. Their USP is handmade gold nib pens. Their steel nib pens are much cheaper and use third party nibs and may cause some disappointment. If you must buy their steel nibbed pen, go for the supreme.

Best

Hari

Thanks again for sharing this additional info. This surely helps a lot. The thing is I already purchased a few pens recently and can only think of buying another pen in the next month or so. But will remember to follow your tips when I contact them next time. Will check their gold nib pen and their supreme model too.

Really appreciate the time you put in here in sharing such useful information with all of us here :)

call their landline number after 5 pm

Thank you very much for the tip! I'm trying to order pens from Mr Ramanamurthy since last October. He answered my first mail by sending me the catalogue, after that, nothing happened. I'll try this.

P.S.: Above, someone complained about his pen. I have the opposite experience. I have a model no. 15 pen with a steel nib, and it is a wonderful pen. It has a nice size, and I never had any problem with the nib, it works just fine. I'm using it every day, and it's always delightful.

Edited by Strombomboli

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.