[Help Wanted] Jinhao X450 Nib Issue

GreenOrange

Hello forum,

I bought a Jinhao x450 and I had a query regarding the nib.

I thought the pen comes with a Medium nib, but it looks to be much finer.

Can you confirm from the images ?

Is there something wrong with the nib/flow ? You can see it breaks in the "F" and bottom of "G"s.

(please zoom the images while examining)

Also there is hardly a "hairline" gap between the tines. I cant even see the light through the gap.

I love writing with the M nib of my old Parker Vector. The color is deep dark and uniform. But with x450, the lines are almost scratchy and non uniform.

I tried to increase the gap by pushing the nib against a wooden board. Its too hard and nothing happens even after repeated efforts.

Any suggestions to make the writing medium(ish) ? Can any x450 owners confirm if this is how thin the pen writes ?

Also, is it normal for a fountain pen to make scratching noises ? My old parkers make a lot of noise, though their scratchiness is within the limits of "feedback". My new x450 too makes a bit of scratching noise, though it is a little quieter.

Ink - Daytone Blue (500ml bottle pack)

Thank You

(PS: this is my first post on the forum, though I have referred to the FPN many times in the past. I am a newbie to the technicalities of FP, but I have been constantly using them since 2002, throughout my school and college times.)

post-144856-0-06987000-1534776725_thumb.jpg

post-144856-0-90330200-1534776746_thumb.jpg

post-144856-0-95566600-1534776783_thumb.jpg

post-144856-0-05833100-1534776765_thumb.jpg

Edited by GreenOrange

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• GreenOrange

• two2tone

• Carrau

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks fine size. Oriental nibs run finer than Western. Medium Chinese nib would be a Western fine.

I had trouble with this nib and replaced it with one from Goulet pens, whatever make of nib they sell, in fine size. It helped.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

+1 for Pajaros comment. I had a Jinhao x450 with a medium nib and it always wrote like a fine.

Edited by Herrjaeger

Thanks both of you, that clarifies things a bit.

Any suggestions on broadening the nib ?

I was thinking of taking it out and hammering it lightly (making it more curved to widen the groove)

I have one Jinhao X450 which is about (well, not quite) as fine as yours when I tighten the tines. When I do that, it doesn't skip, but it squeaks. I have another X450 which is extremely fat and wet. If I tighten it up, it starts skipping, and only gets to a medium line, anyway.

I find that I always have to take the nibs out to work on them because they're so thick and rigid. I'd never use a tool on them, but I have to use fat elastic bands to grip them whilst adjusting. Okay ... So, that's a tool. I'd never use a tool for its intended purpose on them. That doesn't sound better, somehow. ;)

My solution is to order a four-pack of Jinhao nibs so I can relax and not worry about permanently damaging the nibs. I did the same thing buying replacement Wing Sung nibs for my Pilot nib that got dropped and bent a tine up nearly 90 degrees. I'd had zero success getting the Pilot nib back to plum, but after the replacements came in I could experiment a bit more, and the nib is at least as good as when I got it. Anyway, one nib might be what you're looking for without adjustment, or you have plenty of opportunities to learn how to adjust it to your liking.

Thanks both of you, that clarifies things a bit.

Any suggestions on broadening the nib ?

I was thinking of taking it out and hammering it lightly (making it more curved to widen the groove)

I don't think this will work as you think it might. If there's tipping on the nib, and it looks like there is, you might damage the tipping or beat it off. If you want a wider nib, I think you will have to get a wider nib. You see, it is not a one piece metal item. The tipping is welded on. If you had wanted to narrow it, you could have it ground narrower. To broaden it you would need more tipping, an expensive thing. Better to buy a wider nib.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Hold the pen nib facing up with the underside of the feed towards you. With your thumbs, apply some pressure to the 'shoulders' of the nib (above the tines) and then test. Rinse and repeat until you notice a difference in flow. You might still damage the nib or it might write a little scratchy afterwards, but I think Jinhao nibs are still pretty reasonable and not super thin like some other Chinese pens.

What I already have done with Jinhaos and Wing Sungs is to widen the gap.You say, you can hardly see one. Then, the inkflow is too little and it skips.

Take a razorblade and go into the gap where the hole is. Slowly and carefully draw the razor blade all the way to the point of the nib. Try, repeat if neccessary. It may also write a little bit broader after that.

What I already have done with Jinhaos and Wing Sungs is to widen the gap.You say, you can hardly see one. Then, the inkflow is too little and it skips.

Take a razorblade and go into the gap where the hole is. Slowly and carefully draw the razor blade all the way to the point of the nib. Try, repeat if neccessary. It may also write a little bit broader after that.

Please don't use a razor blade...they are too thick and will damage the pen. Brass shims are much better, but I've had very good results pressing in the wings as mentioned before or using the fingernail method - and you won't gouge the nib slit!

My X450 writes great out of the box; maybe I got lucky. Considering how cheap they are (and lack of QC) I suggest buying 3 or 4 -- you may get a better one. Yes, you can tweak the nib, but how much is your time worth? They don't have German or Japanese QC, or the cost.