• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bexinthecity247

• wallylynn

• amberleadavis

• irrigger

but I'm really into the pink/purple right now.

My new favorite (both in color and how the ink behaves) : J Herbin Violette Pensee.

One can never have enough purple/violet inks.

I would recommend Nalgene bottles. They never leak. If you can still get small ones (1/2 oz) size they are the best.

On this picture it would be the one with a blue cap.

If you're going to the US you should be able to find them more easily.

+1. (Listen to Chrissy. She's one of the Ink Mavens here.) We use genuine Nalgene LDPE bottles of all sizes in the analytical laboratory where I work. Leakproof, non-reactive, and the plastic doesn't breakdown over the years. The small 1/2 ounce size (15 ml) is perfect for air travel. It's small enough and translucent enough that airport security doesn't give it a second glance. And the best part is that it doesn't break as things are being jostled around as you're running to make your flight connection.

All the Best.

Edited by JungleJim

Ive used a small otter box (waterproof!) to carry ink in sample vials for a couple years. Very safe!

post-14468-0-71835800-1534961195_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I took a small bottle of Diamine in the end as I didn't have time to sort out anything else but I'm not a huge fan of the colour.
Anyway I will stock up on some of these bottles an a plastic case to store them in as I have 6 weeks of travelling next year.

'Someone shoot me please.'

~the delectable Louisa Durrell~

The Nalgene bottles are a lifesaver. I use them for transferring pouch inks, and I have a few leftover to use as traveling ink bottles. They hold a ton of ink, they're light, the lids screw down very tightly so that you don't need to worry about spills (although I put mine in a Ziploc bag, anyway), and they can pass muster with TSA if you fly, which is a huge bonus.

I use sample vials encased in pill bottles. No leaks, and even if one does leak (never happened yet) it's well contained.

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

OOOOOO good idea. I usually put the sample vials into zip lock baggies when I ship, but the bigger bottles would be a better protection.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, here is WHAT NOT TO DO.

This is where I share pictures of my dear friend, Plistumi. She was NOT allowed to fly with giant bottle of ink. (I love this photo).

fpn_1361419557__tsa.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Yes! Frank C and I organized a group buy of the Akkerman inks and then we distributed them at the LA Pen show. That allowed us to meet peeps. When Plistumi went to get on the plane TSA wouldn't let her take all that liquid. She posted the picture, but I keep reposting.

OMG. I recognized the bottle, but I didn't expect anyone on FPN to actually try flying with it outside of checked luggage. I also want to photoshop a Noodler's full gallon into the picture...

Rofl

Not tried this, so keep that in mind —

Someone suggested the little glass bottles of Testor's enamel paints for hobbyists. They are glass, but it's thick and the caps screw on tightly. You'd have to empty one and clean it out, but the little guys are square and so they cluster nicely.

If someone tries it let us all know how it goes —

Edited by AreBeeBee

I take an ordinary Diamine ink bottle -- solid and the cap fits tight.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I had a 30ml bottle of Diamine Registrars Ink that developed lumps, like lousy gravy because I was using it too slowly.

This time around I draw off some ink into a tiny 10ml Herbin bottle and use electrical tape on the Diamine bottle to try & keep it airtight. The Herbin bottle is glass and can be bleached if your ink of choice happens to stain. To be an inkwell the bottle needs to be set into a wood block.

and use electrical tape on the Diamine bottle to try & keep it airtight.

Is the diamine bottle plastic or glass? The cap may be air tight, but often water will evaporate right through the plastic walls.

• 2 weeks later...

My pens hold so much ink, I can't imagine why I'd need to carry a vial of my favorite ink, unless I was going overseas for more than a month, where it might not be sold.

But, in that event, I would absolutely trust a Nalgene bottle, which is what I use for all of my toiletries when flying. Just renember that Nalgene's "4 oz." bottles are 125 mL, or 25 mL too large for TSA. I used to keep a 30 mL Nalgene HDPE jar in my desk with ink, but I just found an empty old Pelikan 4001 bottle, so I've filled that and will take it to the office, instead.

Paige Paigen

Gemma Seymour, Founder & Designer, Paige Paigen

Daily use pens & ink: TWSBI ECO-T EF, TWSBI ECO 1.1 mm stub italic, Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing

Dillo is an FPN member renowned for enabling FPN ink exchanges with their leakproof and inexpensive 5-7ml vials. They've been doing this long enough that images of them have bit-rotted.

Is the ink exchange still active? I remember it before the forum reorganization but can't remember after.