Vial For Travelling With Ink

Bexinthecity247

So I did look for a topic similar but couldn't see one (apologies if I missed any) but I have now left it too late to travel with my Yama-Budo ink (I go tomorrow night) and so will have to use my MB travel sized bottle, but I want to get some kind of travel container to take ink in the future on trips.

I looked at glass vials but I can never tell how small they are from the photos and wouldn't know if the pen would fit in them.

How do you travel with ink? (aside from carrying the whole bottle).

TIA

'Someone shoot me please.'

~the delectable Louisa Durrell~

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bexinthecity247

• wallylynn

• amberleadavis

• irrigger

Hmm seems like a good place to start.

£45 is a high price though - I wonder if any other company does something similar.

I would recommend Nalgene bottles. They never leak. If you can still get small ones (1/2 oz) size they are the best.

On this picture it would be the one with a blue cap.

If you're going to the US you should be able to find them more easily.

Ahh both of these would work quite nicely.

I don't fly a lot (maybe twice a year) but I'm always up and down the country so these would be handy for that too!

Thankyou.

Or you can use the small bottles that you get ink samples in. They are small, don't leak and can hold a couple fills depending on your pens.

https://www.purepens.co.uk/acatalog/Ink-Samples-Vials-5ml.html

I'm assuming the neck would be wide enough in diameter to insert the pen? (that sounds like a really dumb question but I've only ever received one sample and the bottle it's in is too small for me to fit a pen in).

Yes, you can insert a pen into these. The MB 149 just fits, so you should be able to get smaller pens in with no issues. It can be a snug enough fit that if you are careful, it can be used like a mini Visconti Travelling ink well by turning it upside down

fpn_1534775475__img_1783.jpg[fpn_1534776031__img_1784.jpg/URL]

Edited by irrigger
fpn_1389205880__post_card_exchange_small.png

I'm in agreement with the little ink sample vials. I know someone who is a little concerned with leaks. If that's the case then put some tape on as a second seal. Each one costs about a nickel or less and if you have a bunch of inks, I'd assume you have at least one or two lying around. They don't go over TSA regs, and was said already, they've got a bottom very accommodating for fountain pen filling.

Great stuff. Thanks!

For this, Nalgene bottles are the only way to fly. Or carry in your pocket anywhere. Leak-proof, Indestructable, heat insensitive. Not only with blue caps as shown above, but also available with colourless caps. 1/2 oz = 15 ml. Sample vials (usually 7-ml) are nothing by comparison.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Yes Nalgene bottles are great. I have one with the 15ml with colorless cap. Its perfect. Certain hotel shampoo bottles work quite well too

I started to approach this issue from the other end : just travel with high capacity pens.

I challenge *anyone* to actually use up a Vac700 and a Pilot 823 (when using the trick to get a perfect fill) in a single trip.

(and if you do : just carry the whole bottle :P )

-k

I use sample vials for ink, and a couple of Nalgene bottles for distilled water (just in case). The vials are way cheaper than the Visconti inkwell, and I've never had anyone at TSA even blink when I had them in my purse (they were in a ziplock bag just in case of spills). I was able to find Nalgene bottles at a sporting goods store in their camping section, and they're pretty inexpensive apiece as well (I also use a larger size one of those for mouthwash, again, in a ziplock bag with the toothbrush and toothpaste).

Usually my trips are short enough that refilled sample vials (one per color ink for the number of pens I'm bringing -- for long trips anywhere between four and six pens). And the distilled water is for just in case I do run out of ink, to flush/refill a pen till I get home.

I keep looking at the Visconti, then look at the price and go, "Naah...." Because a 10 pack of empty 5-7 ml sample vials are about $3 US, depending on where you get them. And if you sample an ink and like it enough to get a full bottle, you don't even have to buy new vials: just refill the ones you already have (and they're already labelled for you :thumbup:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I started to approach this issue from the other end : just travel with high capacity pens.

I challenge *anyone* to actually use up a Vac700 and a Pilot 823 (when using the trick to get a perfect fill) in a single trip.

(and if you do : just carry the whole bottle :P )

-k

Normally I'd agree however - I usually write a lot (in the middle of a hopeful novel right now) and I am using the Budo which is a pretty heavy bottle. Normally I'd take my MB 30ml travel bottle but I'm really into the pink/purple right now.

The other thing is I plan to buy lots of inks while I'm away so I already have to mindful of that because of weight limits. I am taking my TWSBI eco this time in the hopes that I won't bleed it dry.

Dillo is an FPN member renowned for enabling FPN ink exchanges with their leakproof and inexpensive 5-7ml vials. They've been doing this long enough that images of them have bit-rotted.

Edited by Corona688