Lamy Cp 1?

ryanboyd

I am thinking about trying out the black Lamy cp 1. I don't see much information about it on FPN and was curious if anyone here has any experience with this pen they'd be willing to share.

RB

Edited by ryanboyd

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ryanboyd

• DasKaltblut

• A Smug Dill

• 1nkulus

I LOVE mine. Like really, really love it. Mostly because I don't get along with the triangle grip of the Safari and others, but I love Lamy nibs. The CP 1 is perfect for me since I can roatate the pen however and find the sweet spot rather than letting the grip dictate it. This is especially important to me when I use my OB. The grip is also not metal, which is nice because it doesn't slip, the look is very sleek and it doesn't dry out. Mine has been inked up for 3 months without drying out. It feels a bit skinny at first, but holds just as much ink as any other Lamy. The clip is nicely sprung and the whole pen feels very sturdy and well made. I think this is a fantastic pen that is often underrated. Go for it!

Edited by DasKaltblut

Definitely a love it or hate it model, depending on how much you dig skinny pens. I love having the full LAMY experience in such a tiny package. It fits really nicely into my Travelers Notebook pen loop.

I don't get along with the triangle grip of the Safari and others...

Same--I struggle with it, too. I've found that I grip Safaris on the ridge of the triangle as opposed to the intended flat surface. I very much prefer simple rounded grips.

As for the width, I enjoy thin pens for everyday writing, so I think it will certainly prove to be a plus.

Edited by ryanboyd

If you can hold a narrower pen then the CP1 rather nice. Round not tri-sided, light and nimble. Find it fits great in an Agenda where mine happens to be this week.

Should add - the CP1 is similar in size as a round wooden pencil, so not toothpick thin.

Edited by aderoy

A GREAT thin pen in my humble opinion. I love mine! Never a hard or dry start, even when it sits for a few days. The CP 1 pencil is great as well.

Edited by octatonic

Octatonic

I like my matte black CP1 with EF nib far more than I thought I would.

• I don't generally enjoy using fountain pens with thin barrels for writing, not the least because they remind me of pencils, biros and Cross Classic Century ballpoint pens (which somehow my relatives have, in my youth, somehow come to believe is classy and I have learnt to regard with disdain). I also find them more tiring to grip and write with continuously.
  • Lamy's steel EF nibs have generally disappointed me by laying too broad a line for my tastes; the vast majority of my pens have Japanese F nibs.

I only bought the CP1, for US$45 delivered (which is a damn sight cheaper than the local RRP of A$149) because it is one of the few pens that would fit comfortably in the pen loop on a Lamy 50th Anniversary journal; even the Lamy Logo fountain pens (of which there are four in my household) have thicker barrels. It also goes oh-so-nicely with the journal itself style-wise.

fpn_1534865547__lamy_cp1_in_journal_pen_

My Sailor Professional Gear Imperial Black edition had problems with flow and clogging when filled with Sailor Nano sei-boku pigment ink, and the CP1 was a matte black ‘stealth’ pen I was prepared to risk, so I cleaned out my Pro Gear and loaded up the CP1 instead with sei-boku. Let's just say the performance of this winning combination far exceeded my wildest expectations!

Writing with the CP1 now give quite a bit of feedback, without feeling as it I was scratching the surface of the paper with a nail, and the ink runs quite dry without ever giving me hard starts. The net result is I'm getting a tremendous amount of control and precision, all without it being tiring on my hand, and I can produce some of my best Chinese handwriting all week with it:

fpn_1534866297__lamy_cp1_with_writing_sa

(My handwriting in English is always pretty (bleep), so let's not worry about that.)

For the price I paid, it probably was one of the best value purchases I've made in the past year.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

That settles it -- I've placed the order. Thank you for all your feedback.

Will report back with my thoughts.

I hope this doesnt make you regret your purchase, but while the Lamy CP1 writes very nice and has excellent build quality, there is one huge downside to it.

The pen has terrible balance. The cap is very very heavy compared to the rest of the pen, making the pen (while posted) extremely back heavy. The center of gravity is actually past the fulcrum point and it makes it feel like the pen is constantly being pulled out of your hand.

The pen is also to short to use unposted comfortably. I would not recomend this pen to anyone who doesnt have at least 8 inch longs hands.

Edited by PBobbert

The CP1 is one of my favorite pens. I like the overall clean, straight lines of the design and the easily interchangeable nibs. I usually have a 1.1 stub nib on it, but have also used it quite a bit with an EF. I find it much more comfortable to hold than the Safari's triangular grip.

As for size, that's very much a matter of personal preference. I started school (a very long time ago) using pencils and BICs, so this feels normal to me, not skinny or small. In fact, I sometimes wonder why some prefer writing with cigars and broomsticks B)

It works for me and I don't find it top-heavy when posted, but I have long, thin fingers. Even so, I can use it unposted if I have to quickly jot something down.

Brian Goulet mentioned a while back that his new employees get to choose a pen to use for themselves - he was surprised that many chose the CP1.

https://blog.gouletpens.com/2014/06/lamy-cp1-quick-look

Edited by migla9

@PBobbert I agree with your comment about the balance of the CP1. I could write with it posted, but it doesn't feel quite right, and I don't get as much control with precise strokes when writing with it posted. It isn't really any shorted unposted than, say, the Sailor Professional Gear pens unposted, though.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I hope this doesnt make you regret your purchase, but while the Lamy CP1 writes very nice and has excellent build quality, there is one huge downside to it.

The pen has terrible balance. The cap is very very heavy compared to the rest of the pen, making the pen (while posted) extremely back heavy. The center of gravity is actually past the fulcrum point and it makes it feel like the pen is constantly being pulled out of your hand.

The pen is also to short to use unposted comfortably. I would not recomend this pen to anyone who doesnt have at least 8 inch longs hands.

I simply don't have these issues. I suspect that the individual ways people hold pens make some more comfortable than others.

I only tend to use it as a diary pen, find it a tad slim for daily use. EF nib.

It is at the limit of using unposted, about 119mm IIRC.

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Yes it is a slim pen, but with a M nib and Diamine Damson it is a perfect everyday writing pen. I don’t use anything but fountain pens, and this one is a workhorse. I’ve taken to slimmer pens of late, from the CP1 to a Kaweco Special and my EDC Kaweco Liliput. Other pens are feeling fat now. Could have something to do with the fact that I also love writing with wooden pencils.

www.RLRaymond.com

I love this pen, too. It's simplicity is a bit deceptive since it's a quite sophisticated writer's pen. See the above post about using it with Sailor Nano sei-boku. You guys amaze me.

Edited by Calabria

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 2 weeks later...

A quick follow-up. In short, I am really enjoying the cp 1.

While I was initially concerned with the slim barrel, I have found it remarkably comfortable. I love the design and build of the pen and how well it blends into my work environment (many of my other pens stand out a little too much in the conservative financial services environment I work in). If I had but one minor complaint, it would be one of the steel nib's scratchiness, but that's less a cp 1 issue and more my broader issue with Lamy's.

Thank you again to everyone here for their feedback--it was very helpful in informing my decision to purchase the cp 1.

I was writing with my Lamy CP1 with EF nib just now on a Rhodia No.16 notepad, and there was only enough tooth for me to hear each pen stroke, and of course there is feedback, without any ‘scratchiness’ that actually causes drag and impede the movement of the nib. I don't know whether you're expecting (or just prefer) a wet writer that glides across the page. Maybe try a more lubricated ink in your CP1 if that's the sort of writing experience you're after.

A quick follow-up. In short, I am really enjoying the cp 1.

While I was initially concerned with the slim barrel, I have found it remarkably comfortable. I love the design and build of the pen and how well it blends into my work environment (many of my other pens stand out a little too much in the conservative financial services environment I work in). If I had but one minor complaint, it would be one of the steel nib's scratchiness, but that's less a cp 1 issue and more my broader issue with Lamy's.

Thank you again to everyone here for their feedback--it was very helpful in informing my decision to purchase the cp 1.

Thanks for letting us know how it is going! You can always get a gold nib for the CP1 later :D

I actually have a gold OB on mine that I love.

Edited by DasKaltblut

I was writing with my Lamy CP1 with EF nib just now on a Rhodia No.16 notepad, and there was only enough tooth for me to hear each pen stroke, and of course there is feedback, without any ‘scratchiness’ that actually causes drag and impede the movement of the nib. I don't know whether you're expecting (or just prefer) a wet writer that glides across the page. Maybe try a more lubricated ink in your CP1 if that's the sort of writing experience you're after.

Trying a different ink might be worth trying, you're right. Some of the issue I think, though, is attributable to the fact I'm an underwriting lefty--my pen pushes and pulls across the paper a little differently than your average right-hander.

Then again, maybe I'm using this all as an excuse to justify buying a gold nib.

I really miss my Pelikan Signum pen from my university days ... not sure when and how it disappeared.

The CP1 really ticks many of the boxes that made me like the Signum.