Nos 8440 Nib - Should I Use It?

Mannyonpil

So, I just got a NOS 8440 nib, complete with original, packaging and now I am afraid to use it. I would not usually hesitate but when I look at how clean and lovely it is, I mumble to myself and stop.

What do you all think I should do?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hobiwan

• pajaro

• Mannyonpil

• FarmBoy

Why would you keep an unused nib unused?

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

So, I just got a NOS 8440 nib, complete with original, packaging and now I am afraid to use it. I would not usually hesitate but when I look at how clean and lovely it is, I mumble to myself and stop.

If you aren't going to use it, does that mean you are considering holding it for the next owner or seeking to preserve a historical piece?

It's how you treat the least of these...

Eἰς ἀνήρ οὐδεί ἀνήρ
"Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out... Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you."(The Message) - Romans 12:2

If you aren't going to use it, does that mean you are considering holding it for the next owner or seeking to preserve a historical piece?

Sometimes I used to like to look at items that were unused with original box or not. Since I enjoyed looking at these items in this condition, I kept them in that condition until I was ready to use them or sell them. There is a tendency here to opine that every last thing must be used. I don't agree with this concept. I have enjoyed looking at intact, new condition items that are somewhat old, like virtually NOS Parker 51 sets in the original box, never used. I enjoyed having those pens kept new more than I would have enjoyed inking them all up to join the horde of 51s I had at the time. Some of them I eventually put into use, and some I sold. Ditto some Esterbrook nibs that came to me NOS.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Sometimes I used to like to look at items that were unused with original box or not. Since I enjoyed looking at these items in this condition, I kept them in that condition until I was ready to use them or sell them. There is a tendency here to opine that every last thing must be used. I don't agree with this concept. I have enjoyed looking at intact, new condition items that are somewhat old, like virtually NOS Parker 51 sets in the original box, never used. I enjoyed having those pens kept new more than I would have enjoyed inking them all up to join the horde of 51s I had at the time. Some of them I eventually put into use, and some I sold. Ditto some Esterbrook nibs that came to me NOS.

Totally agree. I have a handful of items that fit the "Marvel at it" category. In the end, I will go to the grave with a handful of museum pieces, but there is a good chance that they will have been read, used, played, or consumed as part of the right of ownership...and if the kiddos have no interest in them for posterity or financial reasons.

It's how you treat the least of these...

Eἰς ἀνήρ οὐδεί ἀνήρ
"Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out... Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you."(The Message) - Romans 12:2

If it's the spectacular white display box, I'd say keep it unused. If it were already used, that would be a horse of a different color. I have one that was used to the point of the gold plating being worn off. No problem using that. But a very rare piece mint? Unless you really need to, I'd say keep it mint. It is an Esterbrook historical rarity.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

While I am generally one who believes in using all the pens and nibs I have (and this includes the NOS 3668 nib I got), I have made exceptions. I actually have a couple of pens that are strictly for show and preserving their intrinsic history. The 8440 nib would be one that I would leave as is.

We're talking about a few pennies worth of nib. Is this meant to be a trick question?

Whether it is or not the answer is "of course you should"

I bought a brand new "whole" pen for less than $20

The 8440 nib is a cartographers nib. They are not easy to find, and I have seen them sell as high as $150. It's always a personal decision, but this is no common nib.

It's nice to see that you're pondering this decision. Just last night I saw a rerun of "Modern Family" about this same concept. Cam and Mitchell's house guest opened a valuable bottle of wine and jar of caviar that they had been saving and saving for that "special" occasion; the message being to enjoy what you have now. When we get too reverent about things, we can sometimes file them away until they achieve the status of untouchable. However, there's no hurry. I'd say don't use it right now, but revisit the issue from time to time. If you remain open to changing your mind, then you'll know when to uncork the wine.

Edited by Manalto

James

Thank you all for your responses.

First, as some have already pointed out, the 8440 is not at all a common nib. I have been hunting for a nice one for about 2-3 years so i was quite excited to get this one. I have another that is damaged, i fear beyond repair. I have another that is only the nib, no feed, no collar. The example in question is absolutely new and indeed in its large white box with paper insert. The packaging is not in the best condition but it is whole.

I usually would just use it without thinking but when it arrived in its relatively pristine condition, I just couldn't ink it up right away. I was surprised for thinking this way since I never have before. I will put it aside for now and maybe hunt for another one that I can use without anxiety.

For the record, bidding started at USD 125.00 but I was the only bidder so I got it for the starting price. I really thought there would be others bidding but oddly it was only me.

I have an 8440 that I remounted on a feed and collar. When I was trying to tune it, I found tiny stress cracks at the ends of both times, so it will sit in my parts. That said, I would offer to remount your orphan nib for you

Edited by gweimer1

Having read all the previous posts, I'm stepping back from mine.

Right of ownership trumps all other considerations. And the experience of writing with such a rare nib is one that's enjoyed by few these days.

I'm a "medium" nib fan myself, and chose to write with the first 6668 nib I acquired. It turned out to be a great experience, as that point writes and flows like a sweet dream; so who am I to advise another to do something different?

You can always clean it up afterwards, and it'll still be a rare nib, eh?

Or accept Gweimer1's offer, and have the best of both worlds.

PS. BTW, nice catch at a good price, sez me.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Were it me, I would use it without hesitation. But then again, I've been hunting for one for a couple of years and have never had the coin available to compete in the bidding wars.

I'm with theLorekeeper. I've been searching for an affordable 8440 nib unit for a while now (mind you, the key word being "affordable"). A couple of years ago I gave my husband his choice of my Estie J pens, and if he decides (once I get the pen up and running) that if he doesn't like any of the EF nibs I've picked up (as not being EF "enough") my next step would be to try and track down an 8440 nib for him.

But then, I'm not and have never been a c-worder: the only pens I don't use are the ones that aren't working yet. I'm not going to be spending money on something that just sits in a display case. That means the Pelikan M405 Stresemann got taken camping last year. And if I ever get my hands on an 8440 my husband will get that put onto the red J pen to use (and I get to have the 2314-B to use on a different Estie -- or sell, now that I've gotten a 9314-B nib).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I believe you should do whatever you want with it. Keep some like I sometimes did, or use every one. I have waffled on this issue over time. I have had people criticize my putting an NOS P51 into use. They made millions of them, and I am not the Tecumseh Pen Museum. There were a few I kept for myself for a while. Each must decide what he wants to do with the stuff you dig out.

C-worder. Presumably referring to "collector." I submit that if you have accumulated a group of pens of any size at all you have a collection. Just because you have collected a number of pens to use doesn't mean you are a museum curator. I do not understand the living in denial.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I can understand keeping one unused if you have another that you do use, but to have multiple copies of an unused nib, all being kept in the unused state...???

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Yeah, the 8440 warehouse.

I thought the same thing that Gary did - mount the orphaned nib in another collar with a feed and use it while you decide what to do with the mint one. Damaged 1000 and 2000 series nibs are all over the place, so the parts are available.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I think that is what I will do. I will remount the orphan 8440 and save the NOS for another day.

As for the damaged one, I am not sure about that one. The tipping is broken off one tine. Is that repairable?