I've asked FountainFeder to notify me when they get more Skull & Roses in so I can order it along with the November Rain.

That sounds like a good plan. :) :thumbup:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• djmaher

• axialix

• JulieParadise

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good news! Fountainfeder has been restocked with this ink available for 30ml and 80ml. I placed my order yesterday for 2 glass bottles and it's already shipped. :)

I just discovered minutes ago that my favorite website seitz-kreuznach has been restocked with this ink and many other Diamine inks too.

A nice-looking blue, but not special enough that I would go out-of-my-way hunting for it. Thanks for the review.

You're welcome. :)

Good news! Fountainfeder has been restocked with this ink available for 30ml and 80ml. I placed my order yesterday for 2 glass bottles and it's already shipped. :)

That's good to know. Thank you. :)

When I looked on Amazon yesterday both Skull & Roses and Passion Calligraphy Green were out of stock.

I just discovered minutes ago that my favorite website seitz-kreuznach has been restocked with this ink and many other Diamine inks too.

I wasn't aware that Seitz-Kreuznach was a stockist so thank you for updating me. :)

I wasn't aware that Seitz-Kreuznach was a stockist so thank you for updating me. :)

Thanks for your amazing review. It helped to get this ink my first big bottle from Diamine.

Thanks for your amazing review. It helped to get this ink my first big bottle from Diamine.

You're welcome. :) Enjoy the ink. :D

• 2 weeks later...

X2 bottles of Sull & Roses 30ml ordered from Fountainfeder, gifting one to a fellow fountain pen user. Costs just over £10 for both Inc shipping. I feel sure that's a very fair price as well.

• 1 month later...

X2 bottles of Sull & Roses 30ml ordered from Fountainfeder, gifting one to a fellow fountain pen user. Costs just over £10 for both Inc shipping. I feel sure that's a very fair price as well.

Available right now on the website. 4 Euro to ship to the USA (would cover 2 bottles of ink, if you are after something else as well). 9 Euro for an 80ml glass bottle.

.....the Heart has it's reasons, which Reason knows nothing of.....

Especially for buyers not based in Germany, it makes far more sense to order the Diamine inks in 30ml bottles instead of 80ml bottles from Fountainfeder.

Bottle capacityBottle materialItem weightSingle priceEffective price per ml

30 mlplastic0.05kg€ 3.70€ 0.123

80 mlglass0.21kg€ 9.20€ 0.115

You'd be paying a mere 7.2% more per ml by ordering the smaller bottles, but able to have more granular control of how much of which ink colours to get and still be under the 0.45kg threshold for the total shipping charge of €4. I chose nine different colours – most of them German market exclusives – but others might want to get, say three bottles of Skulls & Roses (totalling 90ml), three bottles of November Rain (totalling 90ml), and three other bottles, at a lower apportioned shipping-charge-per-ml.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Other than Passion Calligraphy, Skull and Rain, which others are Germany-exclusive?

Dang it! Did I miss some?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Thank you.

I saw those yes. The owner told me about them before she had them in hand, although, at the time, she wasn't even necessarily sure what they looked like.

I saw them when I placed my order for the others.

• 2 weeks later...

As an FYI, and a way to ask a bit of advice as to paper choices when using this ink, and November Rain, which is on it's way to me now (I guess I have to include OS Walden and Sargasso Sea...)

I realize that others may have had the same issues, but I guess I've not actually read this here before. I know it has to do with the smoothness of the paper, and drying time with the ink, but...

I use a Rhodia top-staple pad for ink and pen practice. Mostly for color appearance on paper, and to see how new pens write, with certain inks, etc.

I've discovered that things I wrote, literally a month ago or more, where the ink still isn't dry. Only with these particular inks I have, although I'm sure there is more....

I was picking up ink smudges, but, I couldn't figure out where. As if I grabbed a leaky pen or something. It was then that I discovered, if I gently swiped across or down the pages that I used these inks on, they smeared badly. I'd guess at 30%+ of the letters smeared. There was no noticeable trace of ink on the previous page backside. The paper pad was closed pretty much the entire time, unless I did a bit more practice, then it went back onto the shelf till next time.

I know Rhodia isn't exactly absorbent, but, of course, it's wonderful to write on. I was using Moleskine journals, but, the lack of paper consistence was driving me nuts, so I stopped.

I still love the inks. I still love the paper. But, it's like an epic battle brewing between the two, if I'm talking journaling and writing, especially for long term storage. Almost as if I'm going to be afraid if I use this ink on that paper, I won't be able to touch it afterwards. Which of course is wrong.

I would say that the page that was written on was probably open at least a half hour to forty five minutes before the pad was closed.

What does everyone else do? Stop using the ink? Stop using the paper? Any good compromises that work??

I'd say that anything 'sheeny' would be prone to that, because the traces of sheen is just a layer (or even layers) of ink unabsorbed but sitting on top of some dried ink underneath. Pressure applied sideways is apt to cause the top layer to slide off the stack, since it's unlikely there is any chemical bond between the layers of ink allowing it to hold fast; even dry rubbing will smear it as the top layer comes off, and of course if there is any moisture on your fingertips, that will just help lift the ink from the dried stack.

Seriously, when I write something in a journal, I'm not going to touch the marks, trace them with my fingertips longingly, etc. but will just handle the pages by their edges. If you want to minimise the likelihood of smearing in your journals, then find and use inks you love that will behave properly and not sheen all over the place.

Edited by A Smug Dill

Has anyone here done a non-scientific paper absorbency sort of comparison that demonstrates, very generally, how inks are absorbed into commonly available paper?

I realize that "testing" is sort of done when inks are tested, for bleed through and dry times, etc. And, I realize that paper quality can vary wildly, even with high end brands. And, I know that paper is only part of the writing equation.

I like my sheeny inks. Maybe I steer clear of them for journaling on Rhodia. And yet, they might be ok on the sometimes crappy Moleskines, that seem to be more porous at times.

We always talk about inks "behaving". Some do, and some don't. Switch papers, and magically the petulant child is perfectly well behaved, sometimes.

So, what papers, if any, are reasonably well behaved when they come under the influence of inks that are sometimes not?? LOL

This sounds like a chicken and egg thing....

My point is that sheen is evidence of unabsorbed ink, and unabsorbed ink that isn't bound to anything can easily come off. If you can see bright/reflective sheen, then it can be rubbed off; and it what gets rubbed off touches an unmarked spot/area on the page, it will smear. On the other hand, if a dull outline which appears as a different colour from the base colour of an ink counts as sheen, then that might be OK. (I still have the sheet of paper from this test in front of me on my desk. The red/purple sheeny outline is now just a dull purplish black colour, and when I rubbed it with my finger, it did not smear but what's left of the 'sheen' is basically obliterated.)

Edited by A Smug Dill

I understand what you are saying. If I may, let me add additional insight and clarification.

I keep an ink journal. A5 Clairfontaine basic journal(maybe a clue...). Every time I get a new bottle of ink, or even a sample, I grab a Q-Tip, ink it heavily, and draw Z patterns, back and forth, top to bottom. Heavily inked at start, fading to minimally inked near the end. If that first couple of top swipes don't appear very dark or heavy, I dip again, and swipe those top couple of lines again.

So, I have my own ink swatches, maybe different that what other people do, but, they are large, and I can see clearly what the ink color looks like, heavy to light. Not scientific, but, I can see it well.

I have 7 or 8 sheeny inks, including the ones in question. With those, I swipe the top lines heavily, because I want to clearly see the color of the sheen. The lighter swipes don't allow the sheen to really show well. I let the page dry for maybe 5 to 10 minutes or so, then close up my ink journal book for later. I don't really fuss with it. The full page swipes really help me see the various colors that make up for the ink, especially if I look at it in sunlight (5200-5500 K) I can't see all of the separate colors like in chromatography, but, depending on how my sample is, I can often see them at the fringes. Again, not scientific, but, it works pretty well. Plus, my vision sucks, so, that helps, where as writing sometimes doesn't.

Once those samples sit and dry a bit, I can actually feel the sheeny parts with my finger, almost as if there's something sitting on top of the paper (which there is) But, the sheen wont come off unless I give it a good rub. I probably could scratch some off if I tried. My Skull and Roses sample, I can easily "feel" the sheen. BUT, it won't come off unless I press a bit, and swipe. Lightly swiping back and forth, I can get it to come off, but, I do have to press and swipe several times to make that happen.

I make that point only because that sample page was done the same day as my writing. The sample was much heavier on the page than my writing was. The sample was dry. My writing was not. My sample I could make the sheen come off with pressure. My writing smeared merely by gently passing my finger over my writing lightly. It caught me completely by surprise, even more so as I literally only touched the surface and moved my hand. As if the ink never dried at all. Because it didn't. Not only did the sheen smear, but the ink did as well.

Ink smears all of the time. Not unusual. I've smeared all kinds of inks, usually because I'm careless in the process of writing, if a particular ink is a slow dryer especially. This may seem like an odd grumble, and I'm sure some might say, "Whats the big deal? Inks smear all of the time".

Agreed. But, I've never had an ink do that after sitting in a closed journal for a month+. I'd be curious if others have had the same experience, and with what ink and paper combination.

In my case, the only variable of note was the paper. On the Clairfontaine paper, the sheen "stuck" quite nicely, and I had to work to get it to shift. On the Rhodia, I literally only touched it and moved my finger, and smear it did.

The first ting that now comes to mind is, "Will it ever dry, and if so, how long will it take"? Maybe a big deal if you are journalling for the future.

It's one thing if water gets it. But, a light swipe of a hand? Sheesh...

BTW, I still love this ink. But, it makes me think twice about my paper choice. If indeed, that's the only issue...

Edited by djmaher