Montegrappa Extra Colori Del Mare

Ceelo

I have the Rosso Venetiano and the Extra 1930 Bamboo, and am delighted to see these colors portrayed in such excellent photographs!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• Ceelo

• Richard F

• jmccarty3

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I've got absolutely nothing on the photo's that precede these ones but here they are. My Extra colori del mare turtle has arrived and I was absolutely blown away by the richness of the celluloid pattern in the flesh. The material catches the light wonderfully, has a little bit of translucency and is a joy to behold. The nib design just tops things off, I went with a fine size.

IQgpLr0h.jpg

RlYvJbmh.jpg

2GscppXh.jpg

K59pEq5h.jpg

fcJ258zh.jpg

1TJByYch.jpg

And one more pic of my little Extra collection.

z5M6Xcth.jpg

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

I have long admired the Montegrappa Turtle celluloid BUT your nib makes it a showstopper!

Thank you very much for sharing it with us & I hope you enjoy using it.

So I've got absolutely nothing on the photo's that precede these ones but here they are. My Extra colori del mare turtle has arrived and I was absolutely blown away by the richness of the celluloid pattern in the flesh. The material catches the light wonderfully, has a little bit of translucency and is a joy to behold. The nib design just tops things off, I went with a fine size.

Wow, CeeElle! Your photos are a joy to behold. Enjoy your new pen.

And one more pic of my little Extra collection.

z5M6Xcth.jpg

It is beautiful! And the trio is stunning! Congratulations!!!

I read frequently that people consider Montegrappa fountain pens small artworks, and I really agree. They are a joy to see and a pleasure to handle. And I have the impression that Montegrappa is in a very happy creative moment, revisiting classic models and introducing small but exquisite variations.

CeeElle, are the waves on the cap ring of the Extra Colori del mare etched or printed? Looking at the photographs it seems that have some three-dimensionality on them.

The Extra Otto is out of this world. I like anything about this pen, and I think that it is an extraordinary contemporary revisitation of the Extra 1930. It is not only the eight-faced body (which is beautiful), but also the interpretation of the fret on the cap ring, where the Greek was changed for the Montegrappa filigree, the incision of the nib with the same filigree motif, and last but not least, the simply perfect clip: rectangular but slimmest in the middle, flat but with that subtle longitudinal rib, and still with a ruzzolina at the end. Super refined and elegant!

I read on Montegrappa web page that they call this version of the Extra Otto a best seller, and they barely produce enough pens to meet the demand. Good for Montegrappa. Bravi! And good for you to have one secured. Bravo!

Some great observations there fpupulin. I too agree that Montegrappa appear to be having somewhat of a renaissance in tasteful, classically designed fountain pens. I have struggled with a couple of things with the brand in recent years, that have prevented me adding any of their pens to my collection; restraint and price. Classic celluloid designs with sterling silver craftsmanship that have come out this year have been hard to resist, especially because Montegrappa (or at least their dealers) have sharpened up their prices to something much more attainable. Small, niche variants of the Extra have, in particular, really made me stand up and take notice of their pens.

In answer to your question, the waves on the cap band of the Colori de mare are etched in that one can gently run their fingernail over them and feel a change in depth on the band.

I too am loving the Extra Otto, most pleasant is the overall balance with the pen and the faceted design to both hold and behold. You sum up all of the design particulars beautifully and I do hope that more pen nuts like us begin to take an interest in what is a wonderfully conceived and executed writing instrument. A few more happy snaps of the Otto below ;)

mqx2KJDh.jpg

CKJjTdZh.jpg

o2qVZUKh.jpg

2Xxr1K2h.jpg

Edited by CeeElle

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

Thanks for some beautiful pen photography in this thread. The representatives at Kenro told me about the new Montegrappa collection and I took a look at them at the Chatterly tables. I ended up purchasing a Turtle (normal edition) from a different vendor, inspired in part by the beautiful photos of said pen posted by fpupulin in the past. Many years ago I had a Symphony in red and my young children called it a lollipop!

post-22656-0-73535500-1534677052_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for some beautiful pen photography in this thread. The representatives at Kenro told me about the new Montegrappa collection and I took a look at them at the Chatterly tables. I ended up purchasing a Turtle (normal edition) from a different vendor, inspired in part by the beautiful photos of said pen posted by fpupulin in the past. Many years ago I had a Symphony in red and my young children called it a lollipop!

My warmest congratulations! A classic is a classic. Forever.

You probably know that Montegrappa claims for the Extra being inspired to a pen of the Thirties. I searched by large within books and the information and images available on the net, and even tough I saw more than one really beautiful vintage Montegrappa, none o them is similar to the Extra or could have served as a model to this pen. Extra 1930 is truly a unique pen, a coupe de génie of Montegrappa's designers towards the end of 1990s, when they created the true forefather of all the Extra dynasty, the Classica. The curves, the size, the weight, the choice of the celluloids and how this beautiful material blends into the silver, both on the cap ring and int the section, anything about the Extra is so simple and perfect. It is a modern, a contemporary timeless pen.

Your pen has both the historic Greek fret on the cap ring (Montegrappa calls this motif "Palladio") and the new Montegrappa filigree on the nib, which make it an even more modern classic.

Use your stunning Extra in good health.

Edited by fpupulin

Thanks to everyone who posted pics. I've been eyeing the Extra 1930 in Turtle for a while now, and the CdM seems like the right pen at the right price. Should have mine tomorrow. :)

• 7 months later...

Aand now my limited Extra Colori del Mare "Sea" is on its way to me as the last piece of the limited Edition... I am happily looking forward to this beauty...