Montegrappa Extra Colori Del Mare

Ceelo

Well friends of Italian pens and wonderful celluloid creations, we have another very limited release Montegrappa Extra on our hands! Not 1, but 7 new celluloid Extra's being sold exclusively through Chatterley pens (no affiliation) as the Colori Del Mare collection.

The pens are themed of course, Colours of the Sea, with a donation being made to a 4 Ocean with each pen. The nib on the pens are a bi colour 18kt seahorse that looks incredible! A bit of the marketing blurb below:

In collaboration with Chatterley Luxuries, the Extra family of classic pens will be presented in new colours with a marine ambiance. Each pen is identified by the image of a seahorse engraved on the custom 18k gold nib, with trim in sterling silver. Colori del Mare describes a vibrant collection of special Fountain Pens that utilizes Montegrappa’s treasure trove of natural celluloids in a wide range of hues, tones and colours. Each type of celluloid employed in the range has been hand-selected for its appropriateness in paying homage to the glories of the oceans.

Seven colours have been chosen representing the 7 seas, to be offered in limited editions of 15 examples per colour, with the turquoise version – The Sea – represented by 27 pens. Each pen is hand-engraved with the edition number, with symbolic wave patterns engraved on the ring.

I've got myself lined up for Sea Turtle, anyone else picking one of these up? What are your thoughts?

9888XVnh.jpg

KL1satzh.jpg

4dZuksoh.jpg

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• Ceelo

• Richard F

• jmccarty3

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I already have an Extra 1930 in the tortoise shell brown and so I ordered the black and white "Shark" with a broad nib. It should arrive tomorrow. I agree, the seahorse nib looks sharp.

Great choice! Please post some pics if you can put the pen down when you receive it. My turtle is probably a couple of weeks away but am really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

When I saw those at the DC pen show I was already maxed out in my purchases. So, I convinced my son to grab a Brown - it didn’t really take much convincing, that nib sold him very quickly :) .

They are all absolutely gorgeous and the celluloid feels fantastic in the hand.

Congratulations, CeeElle and RichardF, for your new purchases. They look terrific!

The "coral" seems to be a different red from that of the recently re-launched Extra 1930 Rosso and previously used for the Rosso Veneziano, Extra (non 1930), Miya, Emblema, and others. It appears more similar to the "cinnamon" of the original Classica instead.

My personal choice would probably be the turquoise, a celluloid that really pops up, but I really like them all! And, for a Montegrappa Extra, the price is certainly tempting...

I saw these in DC, and was highly tempted by the yellow one, but also had overspent my budget.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Sorry for the poor quality of these iPhone pics. The broad nib is perfect.

Thanks for posting your pics! Are my eyes deceiving me or is this extra longer than your tortoise extra?

Congratulations, CeeElle and RichardF, for your new purchases. They look terrific!

The "coral" seems to be a different red from that of the recently re-launched Extra 1930 Rosso and previously used for the Rosso Veneziano, Extra (non 1930), Miya, Emblema, and others. It appears more similar to the "cinnamon" of the original Classica instead.

My personal choice would probably be the turquoise, a celluloid that really pops up, but I really like them all! And, for a Montegrappa Extra, the price is certainly tempting...

Exactly what I thought when I saw the coral, a match for the older celluloid classica. Tempting indeed and perhaps a temptation you may give in to one day. Do you have any other extras?

Thanks for posting your pics! Are my eyes deceiving me or is this extra longer than your tortoise extra?

I thought the same thing after I took the photo and had to go back and check. It’s an illusion; they are the same size.

Exactly what I thought when I saw the coral, a match for the older celluloid classica. Tempting indeed and perhaps a temptation you may give in to one day. Do you have any other extras?

I am attaching a pic of my Extras and a pearl grey Classica. I like the Classica in celluloid as this pen is the model from where all the Extra line started and evolved: the Historia, the resin Classica, the Extra, the Extra 1930, the Extra Extra Otto, and the limited editions based on the same body. I thought several time about an Extra 1930 Black and White, but the Otto Shiny Lines is the next Extra that really calls me...

The Extra 1930 Black Bamboo was a gift from my wife and she is my most treasured pen: she has a stub nib.

The Turtle I have double, the pictured one with a Medium nib, while the other one is waiting me in Italy, after a visit to Bassano to exchange the original M nib to a Bold.

The red one is an Extra, and you can see the imprint on the pen body, which was eliminated in the Extra 1930. It differs from the recent re-making because through the empty lines of the greek on the cap ring you can see the color of the celluloid instead of the white inner thread in plastic of the current version.

fpn_1534294434__four_awesome_montegrappa

They are beautiful. I wish I could afford them...

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

Fabulous post fpupulin and a great photo that will no doubt allow more than just me to drool over

I will post some photo’s of the turtle when it arrives, only a few days to go, and also my small Extra collection.

Just so folk can see the colors:

The Red of the Miya, Symphony & Emblema:

http://www.fototime.com/C5D12A1D93A41FA/large.jpg

The Cinnamon Classica:

http://www.fototime.com/7050C44CE2CBB98/large.jpg

And the red of the Historia:

http://www.fototime.com/0CB2070A0C852D5/large.jpg

The Turquoise Classica:

http://www.fototime.com/04D2E12A6A90E3F/large.jpg

My Website

Just so folk can see the colors:

Dear Jar: your encyclopedic, first hand experience on Montegrappa and your willingness to share it with others are always truly appreciated. Beautiful reds and blues... Thank you.

Fabulous post fpupulin and a great photo that will no doubt allow more than just me to drool over

I will post some photos of the turtle when it arrives, only a few days to go, and also my small Extra collection.

Thank you, CeeElle. Waiting for one of your great pics of the Extra Sea Turtle!

I will post some photo’s of the turtle when it arrives, only a few days to go, and also my small Extra collection.

Not to speak about some pics of your new Extra Otto in Lapis celluloid when you will receive it, in real life...

Dear Jar: your encyclopedic, first hand experience on Montegrappa and your willingness to share it with others are always truly appreciated. Beautiful reds and blues... Thank you.

Just another aside:

The Cinnamon celluloid is often misrepresented as rippled red hard rubber even by those who have been in the fountain pen profession for decades. It is as unique a rendition as the OMAS Arcos or the Montegrappa Sterling engravings.

I first saw the Cinnamon Classica listed as a red hard rubber/ebonite Montegrappa in the catalogue of one of our major fountain pen dealers but had a feeling that it might be the cinnamon celluloid instead so took a chance and bought it. Really glad I did since I have not seen another example come up for sale in many years.

My Website

Here again the rosso of the Extra:

fpn_1534476838__montegrappa_extra_red_ce

fpn_1534476888__montegrappa_extra_la_ros

And the green, almost edible, of the Black Bamboo...

fpn_1534476951__montegrappa_extra_1930_s

fpn_1534477004__montegrappa_extra_1930_b

...tender as the fresh shoot of a bamboo!

fpn_1534477099__montegrappa_extra_acque_