G-Pen Reservoir - Non-Diy!

Sted

Hello, frequent listener - first time caller etc.

I've just started dipping my toes into dip pens (ho ho) and have made a discovery I thought I'd share (if this is common knowledge then just humour me).

If you enter 'Wood Copperplate Calligraphy Pen' into eBay's search you'll quickly come across this....

uFRj6Pw.png

It's a very cheap dip pen set from China - you get a wooden holder, three nibs and a tiny pot of ink.

Well, it turns out that the reservoir attached to the 'Student Nib' pings off very easily and slides onto a regular G-nib with no fuss whatsoever!

Syo5dth.jpg

ScXs9B4.png

3maulBo.png

It holds a ton of ink and goes forever.

I've ordered five more kits (a whopping £11) just for the reservoirs. As it happens the holders are comfortable and the 'Round Nib' is genuinely excellent to use so why not?.

The reservoirs (the 'Round Nib' also comes with a reservoir) will probably fit other popular nibs, too, but like I said I'm new to all this so I can't check.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• sajiskumar

• bass1193

• Sted

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Sted,

Thanks for the tip. I have tried your technique to some other dip pen nibs. It works perfect, though the reservoir is used underneath of the nibs.

btw, could you please share the eBay link of your pen.

Thanks

Saji

Great find, I picked up 5!

Now, do I want express shipping? it's only $495.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine today, the clip required a little bending tighter with some needlenose pliers, but holy (bleep) can this thing hold a lot of ink! The round nib is junk, but the holder is comfortable and the other two nibs, while rigid, are quite good. Ink works decently too. Not bad at all, the overfeed itself is worth the whole cost!

I tried fitting it to a brause 230EF and no go, too narrow. But it does fit the G nib on an oblique holder and lined up with the center line perfectly.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I also figured out that the overfeed for the round nib works on a zebra G nib really well too, you just have to flip it over and use it as an under-feed, just bent the tip "up" until it barely touchesthe slit in the nib. works GREAT. I think the overall ink supply is equal for both feeds

So you technically get two zebra G feeds for $2.

• 1 year later...