I Finally Found It, An Eyedropper Pen That Dont Burp..

calvin_0

I hate dealing with filling system, so i often look for pen that could be eyedropper converted, like Noodler's Ahab or Nemosine Singularity...

but the problem with eyedropper converted pen is, they always burp when the ink level drop to certain level..

however this changes with PENBBS 266... this is a beautiful demonstrator that can be eyedropper converted... and the best part is, it doesnt burp.. to my surprise.. just look at how little ink my pen has... no burping.. XD

the only downside is, using this pen locked me in with PenBBS "fine" nib.. kinda wish i could use a stub nib..

0UAAO99.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• calvin_0

• Bo Bo Olson

• Driften

I think you mean has not burped yet.... I think the only ones that really don't burp are the ones made as eyedroppers that have shutoff valves.

Good Luck!

As said, yet....I of course don't have one that burps either.....don't have one, nor will get one. :doh:

There are some pretty Indian ones that are now using cartridges or converters, that I'd give more thought to.

India is the only place they have held on...perhaps because it was too hot rubber sac pens.

I do have enough pens to carry enough non-burping ones to have that huge ink supply, with out pulling out my eyedropper. I do have a pen that I need a syringe for, but that is a Safety pen....which is of course an ED.

Picture with permission of Penboard.de....in they make great pictures. My Fendomatic ....made in Italy in the '20-30's is not a huge pen like the Indian ones; and has a slightly different chasing.

It don't burp in the overlay is thick enough to stop heat transfer; which seems to be the problem for burping.

I don't know if non-overlay Safety Pens burp......not a lot show up here to be gossiped about.

Well, I have to admit, I know nothing about the Noodler Safety pen.

One is in this case, is enough for me.

UPQpECd.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

my current experience with ED pens is that most of them burp, especially the cheap ones.

Viceversa I have a very positive experience with Ranga ED pens, they look really nice, the ebonite material they are made of is warm in the hand, and despite being ED they have not yet burped on me.

I do say yet, as it may happen, but so far not, so I am really happy with them, and in my opinion the advantage on the generous flow and lack of hard starts is such as to give them serious consideration.

It is true that in the Ranga range even some versions that are CC, can be converted to ED, but in such case the nib group will be a ready made one (Jowo, Bock) which will cause loosing the ebonite feed (which is a bonus IMO).

So my recommendation is try a true ED with ebonite feed but ask Ranga to fit a Bock nib in (best of both worlds).

I have been very happy with such configuration (which btw holds tons of ink)

here is one of my Ranga ED (a 3C) with ebonite feed and Bock nib

fpn_1533595572__p1150407-3.jpg

It's too big for the smaller old semi-flex Bock nib I have....Sigh cubed. I just don't have a pen and ebonite feed for it.

There are some real pretty Indian ebonite or rippled hard rubber pens.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I use some Sheaffer school pens that I use as eyedroppers. No cartridges. No burping. However, I do have an issue with leaking out the section, occasionally.

The only eyedropper I own that burps at all is a big ranga eyedropper. I need to just fuss with it some more. Not even my noodler's charlies burp.

But I agree, the penbbs offerings are great eyedropper pens too. The moonman M2 is another awesome eyedropper. I have the every model of the penbbs acrylic pens, and I keep the desk pen version mounted in a block of wood, eyedropper filled, and only just got bored and cleaned it after six months. It never dried out with only very occasional use, and no staining whatsoever, never burped either.

You can swap the penbbs nib for any #6 stub. the only weird thing about the penbbs pens is that while they take almost any #6 nib, their own nib doesn't fit other #6 pens.

I can confirm that the TWSBI vac700 1.1 stub fits just fine. And IIRC that's a plain jane JoWo.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I’m very interested in those Moonman pens. Glad to hear they aren’t burpers either.

I’m very interested in those Moonman pens. Glad to hear they aren’t burpers either.

the M2, apart from having no clip, is one of the best made chinese pens I've seen.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I think you mean has not burped yet.... I think the only ones that really don't burp are the ones made as eyedroppers that have shutoff valves.

Good Luck!

well maybe you are right, but normally the pen would have burp by now... i cant even get it to burp by heating it with my palm, something that i can easily do with other eyedropper converted pen..

however sometimes I do notice increase ink flow and the fins in the feed are filled with ink... maybe that is the secret to this pen for not burping, the pen does burp but it just handle the burp very well..

kyovDR7.jpg

The only eyedropper I own that burps at all is a big ranga eyedropper. I need to just fuss with it some more. Not even my noodler's charlies burp.

But I agree, the penbbs offerings are great eyedropper pens too. The moonman M2 is another awesome eyedropper. I have the every model of the penbbs acrylic pens, and I keep the desk pen version mounted in a block of wood, eyedropper filled, and only just got bored and cleaned it after six months. It never dried out with only very occasional use, and no staining whatsoever, never burped either.

You can swap the penbbs nib for any #6 stub. the only weird thing about the penbbs pens is that while they take almost any #6 nib, their own nib doesn't fit other #6 pens.

I can confirm that the TWSBI vac700 1.1 stub fits just fine. And IIRC that's a plain jane JoWo.

that is what i often heard, but i'm unable to get the nib out of the housing.. i have pretty much try everything short of using a plier to yank it out.. for obvious reason..

Good Luck!

Koloro!

Add lightness and simplicate.

Yes the Opus 88 Koloro is a great example of a eyedropper with shutoff.

Thirded. Mine never burped.

Wish I could say the same for my beautiful but finicky Edward Todd.

I'm having a custom 139 lookalike ED made by Scriptorium Pens ... we'll see how that behaves.

-k

Most of the KIM ACR Ebonite Eyedropper pens (made in India) are free from inkburp.

Neither of my two vintage (ca. 1925) safety pens = eyedroppers ever burped. Both have a very simple and flat feed yet work perfectly full to almost empty, in warmer temperatures up to 40°C like now as well as in winter time when my room has only 20°C.

Edited by JulieParadise

It's too big for the smaller old semi-flex Bock nib I have....Sigh cubed. I just don't have a pen and ebonite feed for it.

There are some real pretty Indian ebonite or rippled hard rubber pens.

You might ask Ranga to make one for your nib, they do custom work at very affordable price.

Your nib may deserve it.

A starting point could be their model 2 which takes a #5 nib,

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1486955736__fullsizerender_copy.jpg

but I am sure they can modify the section if your nib is smaller.

Might be worth consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Well, my pen is almost empty now.. there is like 90% air.. and still no burping... so i really dont think this eyedropper converted pen is going to burp...

mrvbedZ.jpg

My ED's don't burp.

ASA Patriot - JoWo nib unit

ASA Maya - Visconti gold nib

SK nova - Bock nib and ebonite feed

All great pens, nice, large and light.

I use some Sheaffer school pens that I use as eyedroppers. No cartridges. No burping. However, I do have an issue with leaking out the section, occasionally.

And here I thought I was the only one with an eyedroppered sheaffer school pen :)

Mine was in the bottom of an estate sale pencil box. Maybe 1960s... It had a dried up cartridge in it. I had tossed it in a cup full of other misfit pens and forgotten about it. One day I happened to pick it up and noticed that the clear barrel didn't appear to have any holes in it..... I had never tried the eye dropper trick, but I had some silicon grease, so I tossed the old cartridge in the bin and filled the barrel up with Diamine ancient copper.

It's an EDC for me now, and it has always behaved nicely. Sometimes a dollar pen just works out.