Please Help Me Find A Thread

penmaxwell919

Hi,

Can you help me find a thread in this forum that a member posted that has very high quality macro images of le petit prince nib or the WE Antoine d'Saint Exupery nib. I saw the thread a few days ago but I can't remember the title of the thread and I did a search already but can't seem to find it. I'm deciding on which pen to buy and the above mentioned 2 are some of my choices. The post particularly talks about the different geometry that the nibs have and how they differ from previous editions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penmaxwell919

• Michael R.

• Cyrille81

• meiers

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

You have this thread and particularly the last page that could be what you are looking for: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/334985-montblanc-le-petit-prince/

In this thread I posted photo with the WE Saint-Exupéry 1931 of last year with the Petit Prince LeGrand Solitaire. You can also find more photo of the 2 pens in my personal thread with photos of all my pens here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/320970-personal-collection/

I hope it can help you in your research and decision.

Hello,

You have this thread and particularly the last page that could be what you are looking for: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/334985-montblanc-le-petit-prince/

In this thread I posted photo with the WE Saint-Exupéry 1931 of last year with the Petit Prince LeGrand Solitaire. You can also find more photo of the 2 pens in my personal thread with photos of all my pens here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/320970-personal-collection/

I hope it can help you in your research and decision.

Cyrille, thank you for the link. It is the thread that I was looking for. Do you know if the nib geometry is the same for the AoSE, le petit prince resin and the solitaire? Is the solitaire significantly heavier than the resin?

I don't know exactly what you mean by nib geometry but if you compare the shape of nibs of Le Petit Prince and Saint-Ex they are more or less the same:

35909210361_feaf6c9a78_c.jpg

40518663515_c806d16f07_c.jpg

For the special editon of Saint-Ex and the other editions of the Petit Prince you have to compare with the photo posted by other members as I don't have them and didn't tried them but I think it should be more or less the same because they are all based on a #6 nib.

I don't know what is the weight of the resin but yes the solitaire is heavier: 64g with the cap and 39,6g without but the pen is well balanced and it is easy to write with it, at least for me but I'm used to write with heavy pens as most of mines are limited edition that are heavier than resin pens.

I don't know exactly what you mean by nib geometry but if you compare the shape of nibs of Le Petit Prince and Saint-Ex they are more or less the same:

35909210361_feaf6c9a78_c.jpg

40518663515_c806d16f07_c.jpg

For the special editon of Saint-Ex and the other editions of the Petit Prince you have to compare with the photo posted by other members as I don't have them and didn't tried them but I think it should be more or less the same because they are all based on a #6 nib.

I don't know what is the weight of the resin but yes the solitaire is heavier: 64g with the cap and 39,6g without but the pen is well balanced and it is easy to write with it, at least for me but I'm used to write with heavy pens as most of mines are limited edition that are heavier than resin pens.

By geometry, I just mean the way the nib is shaped. The thing that stood out when I looked at the Exupery bold nib was the faceted surfaces on the side and also the top, something that I have never saw before.

I did a few comparison pictures of the resin Prince and resin Saint-Ex.

Just follow the flickr link below and go to albums...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159137301@N07/albums

Cheers

Michael

Thanks for the link, your collection of pens are really quite nice.

I'm deciding on whether to buy the resin Prince or the resin Exupery. Which one do you like better and can you elaborate on the reasons why?

Thanks

Luckily for me none is better than the other; just different ... so I'm afraid it will be up to you ;-)

- the Saint-Ex is a writers edition; I really like the idea behind the writers edition pens. But also it is slightly more expensive.

- Le Petit Prince is a "dressed up" LeGrand; I like to see some colored 146 variations besides the normal black model.

- Petit Prince should be slightly more affordable.

- both will offer the same nib selection

- Le Petit Prince has an ink view window

- Le Petit Prince is slightly lighter in color and more towards a slight purplish-blue tone; the Saint-Ex is darker and more like a true navy blue

- the Saint-Ex has an extra metal ring at the section and metal threads; some prefer one over the other

- Le Petit Prince is less "dressed up" whit slightly less bling and even a little bit more "classic; but both are elegant

- the Saint-Ex has more special details and things to discover and is a unique pen much different from the regular 146 pens

- the Saint-Ex is a true numbered edition

So overall the Saint-Ex might be the more exciting and more unique pen but also more expensive.

Others might disagree ;-)

Do you have a chance to try both in real life?

Cheers and have fun choosing the right pen ... or get both ;-)

Michael

Luckily for me none is better than the other; just different ... so I'm afraid it will be up to you ;-)

- the Saint-Ex is a writers edition; I really like the idea behind the writers edition pens. But also it is slightly more expensive.

- Le Petit Prince is a "dressed up" LeGrand; I like to see some colored 146 variations besides the normal black model.

- Petit Prince should be slightly more affordable.

- both will offer the same nib selection

- Le Petit Prince has an ink view window

- Le Petit Prince is slightly lighter in color and more towards a slight purplish-blue tone; the Saint-Ex is darker and more like a true navy blue

- the Saint-Ex has an extra metal ring at the section and metal threads; some prefer one over the other

- Le Petit Prince is less "dressed up" whit slightly less bling and even a little bit more "classic; but both are elegant

- the Saint-Ex has more special details and things to discover and is a unique pen much different from the regular 146 pens

- the Saint-Ex is a true numbered edition

So overall the Saint-Ex might be the more exciting and more unique pen but also more expensive.

Others might disagree ;-)

Do you have a chance to try both in real life?

Cheers and have fun choosing the right pen ... or get both ;-)

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I was able to see both at the Dallas boutique and I really can't decide because both have details that draw me to them. I like the Prince because it has an ink window, the nib design, and the overall theme is more playful with the star and the nib design. But I also want to try a Montblanc that has a metal section. I might end up buying both. Which one do you think will sell out first? That way I can purchase that one first. There's a 15% promo code that ebay is offering only for today, so I want to see if I can take advantage of it.

Also, would you say that they both write the same?

Yes, both share the same nib base (#6 nib just like on the 146 with a different design) and ink feed.

I tend to buy the more expensive one and/or older one first so it will be more easy to by the more affordable one later.

Please note that the Saint-Ex does not have a metal section; only a fairly broad section ring and threads.

Cheers

Michael