Let's Pretend We Are In England, 1920 - What Inks Are Offered?

SchaumburgSwan

Hi,

I' waiting for a about 100 years old pen in the irish mail.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/338365-just-bought-my-first-eyedropper-yesterday/?do=findComment&comment=4087865

Now I'm wondering what inks would match the time and style of the old Swan eyedropper.

What inks were available around 1915 to 1925 in England (or the continental Europe)?

Colors? Blue, blue-black and black only? Iron gall sure.

Maybe some of you have old ink bottles or catalogues at hand.

A second question is about finding modern inks with vintage look and behavior.

Greetings and thank you for all ideas

Jens

Edited by SchaumburgSwan

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SchaumburgSwan

• amberleadavis

• Runnin_Ute

• Miyuki

The one ink that comes to mind most readily is Diamine Blue Black Writing Fluid made by T.W. Webster & Co. at the time, they possibly were making their ink powder at this time as well. The powder was an iron-gall ink similar to their Registrars ink currently made. It does seem that there were a few other colors that Diamine makes that were created quite awhile ago, Diamine Umber is one I believe. They also appear to have had a red ink of some sort for use in banking at that time period. The modern company possess the original book that listed the inks being produced throughout their early history. It does appear a little hard to find examples of these early inks online...

The standard ink lines of many of the companies that have been around for awhile carry a vintage look to them: Waterman, Sheaffer, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot, and Sailor...

I find many of Diamine's non-saturated inks to fit well with vintage inks as well...

There is also a good amount of vintage ink sold online, though not always a good bargain, nor the best quality after many years of sitting and evaporating, but there can be some good finds amongst the bad...

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

The one ink that comes to mind most readily is Diamine Blue Black Writing Fluid made by T.W. Webster & Co. at the time, they possibly were making their ink powder at this time as well. The powder was an iron-gall ink similar to their Registrars ink currently made. It does seem that there were a few other colors that Diamine makes that were created quite awhile ago, Diamine Umber is one I believe. They also appear to have had a red ink of some sort for use in banking at that time period. The modern company possess the original book that listed the inks being produced throughout their early history. It does appear a little hard to find examples of these early inks online...

The standard ink lines of many of the companies that have been around for awhile carry a vintage look to them: Waterman, Sheaffer, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot, and Sailor...

I find many of Diamine's non-saturated inks to fit well with vintage inks as well...

There is also a good amount of vintage ink sold online, though not always a good bargain, nor the best quality after many years of sitting and evaporating, but there can be some good finds amongst the bad...

Thank You, Jakob,

well, I somewere saw an advert for powder ink to be used during WWI, maybe these age better than opened bottles of vintage ink solution. Very interesting. I'll look for it.

Diamine Registrars is a good idea, I don't have it, but the similar Akkerman IG #10 blue-black.

Sure some inks look great used with vintage pens, I like Diamine Classic Green or Macassar here... Diamine Umber is looking interesting, too.

Best wishes

Jens

.....................................................................................................

If you want to save yourself some money and/or disappointment, don't get the Diamine Registrar's because it writes too dry and at the same time leaves a watered down impression. The Akkerman IG #10 blue-black is "much better" in this regard. In the meantime one of the "best" IGs out there.

IMO.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

If you want to save yourself some money and/or disappointment, don't get the Diamine Registrar's because it writes too dry and at the same time leaves a watered down impression. The Akkerman IG #10 blue-black is "much better" in this regard. In the meantime one of the "best" IGs out there.

IMO.

I see. The pen has arrived yesterday, it is a wet writer. More about it here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/338365-just-bought-my-first-eyedropper-yesterday/?p=4088941

Best

Jens

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

The powdered inks are interesting. Just mix with distilled water. I have tried samples of them. Also Pelikan 4001 Blue Black to me always had a vintage look and feel to it. Maybe that is part of the reason I like it so much,

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The powdered inks are interesting. Just mix with distilled water. I have tried samples of them. Also Pelikan 4001 Blue Black to me always had a vintage look and feel to it. Maybe that is part of the reason I like it so much,

Have you used pre 1945 powder inks? What colors?

Yes, Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black is more than just another standard ink...

A great ink for wet writers and wet vintage flex pens.

Yours

Jens

I personally am really enjoying my new Mabie Todd Blackbird inks. They're newly made, but they come in vintage styled packaging and are supposedly not too different from the original recipe. I highly recommend Kingfisher Blue.

No iron gall, but for me that's a plus.

Ink Sample Exchange Post

I have many unlisted but I'm trying not to spam the thread.

I also am happy to provide new vials for samples too!

IMO.

Disagree wholeheartedly. it's a dry ink, yes, but the fun in it is that it goes down so pale and then over the course of 15 seconds becomes legible, and after a day or two is completely black.

It's one of the most dramatic iron galls out there, with the possible exception of platinum citrus black.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I personally am really enjoying my new Mabie Todd Blackbird inks. They're newly made, but they come in vintage styled packaging and are supposedly not too different from the original recipe. I highly recommend Kingfisher Blue.

No iron gall, but for me that's a plus.

Thank You, Miyuki. I'll take a look at their website...

Best

Jens

Disagree wholeheartedly. it's a dry ink, yes, but the fun in it is that it goes down so pale and then over the course of 15 seconds becomes legible, and after a day or two is completely black.

It's one of the most dramatic iron galls out there, with the possible exception of platinum citrus black.

Hi,

I don't have a problem with dry inks as the pen writes really wet... Diamine Registrar's stays on my wish list.

Platinum IG inks look very interesting, the Sepia and Khaki would give an oldstyle look with the old pen... Have You tried the Forest Green?

Best

Jens

• 9 months later...

Hi,

just as an update:

I ended up using ESSRI with the very wet pen. A very nice and vintage looking IG ink.

Gutenberg G10 is fine, too, if I want a brown/black.

Best

Jens

Platinum Classic inks are lovely. I especially like Citrus Black (but it may not be everyone’s cup of tea. If you have a super wet vintage writer, the ink will look dark olive green, even toward black in places) and Khaki Black (tirns into warm-toned shading brown). Scabiosa by Rohrer & Klingner has a very beautiful look, especially on ivory-toned paper. Paler modern IG inks (low IG content), such as the aforementioned inks, look theor best with wet lines and offer gentle shading. Citrus Black shading can be too dramatic for some: from pale yellow to olive-black. Scabiosa is more even in that regard.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Platinum Classic inks are lovely. I especially like Citrus Black (but it may not be everyone’s cup of tea. If you have a super wet vintage writer, the ink will look dark olive green, even toward black in places) and Khaki Black (tirns into warm-toned shading brown). Scabiosa by Rohrer & Klingner has a very beautiful look, especially on ivory-toned paper. Paler modern IG inks (low IG content), such as the aforementioned inks, look theor best with wet lines and offer gentle shading. Citrus Black shading can be too dramatic for some: from pale yellow to olive-black. Scabiosa is more even in that regard.

Hi,

indeed R&K Scabiosa is a nice modern IG ink.

I like Platinum Classic Forest Black, a nice warm green... Citrus Black is on my buy list.

Best

Jens

• 2 years later...

Hi,

just as an litle update,

I choose one of the stronger ig inks for most of my vintage Swan's:

Diamine Registrar's for very fine nibs, Swan 3213 (ef) and 3003 (0.3mm stub).

ESSRI for a 0.35mm ci nibbed eyedropper, Swan 3202.

Gutenberg G10 (ok, not english style but german Urkundentinte made similar those times) for a flexy stubbish Swan 3012.

Stay well

Jens