Montblanc Mozart - Cartridge Size

caefpens

My husband has purchased a Montblanc Mozart in Bordeaux for me as a birthday gift. (YAY!) I know in advance because he picked it out and then had me approve, since he doesn't know a lot about fountain pens. He sure made a good call on this one!

This is my first experience with a Montblanc, and I'm quite excited. I won't get to write with it until September, but I want to be prepared with the right ink cartridges. I assume that I could just go with Montblanc cartridges, but I'd like to know the right size so I can use other brands as well. The posts I've seen on this topic have been a bit contradictory - some say standard international, and some say short international. Can a Mozart owner/user chime in to confirm which is the right size?

I have heard mixed reviews on using converters for this pen, so for the time being at least I am going to use cartridges.

Caroline

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caefpens

• Chrissy

• inotrym

• JulieParadise

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a new Mozart in Bordeaux too. I assumed I could use any International sized cartridges, and you can. However, Montblanc cartridges are more shaped at the front end and that makes them much easier to push in and out of the Mozart than the alternative International cartridges I tried. Because of the tiny section there isn't much to grab hold of to pull out standard International cartridges that don't have the same Montblanc shaping.

In fact because of this slight problem, I've ended up refilling empty Montblanc cartridges.

Also consider the Templar mini coverter. SBREBrown has tried it and confirmed it works.

edit: Congrats on your new pen (and on choosing a very thoughtful husband :) )!

Edited by inotrym

Standard international short, definitely. Tried a KaWeCo, a Pelikan and a Diamine cartridge in my MB 114 a minute ago. B)

They go in, and they work. My first attempt was a Kaweco. They are just harder to push home and to pull out than Montblanc cartridges is all. I sometimes take out cartridges before they are empty, and the Kaweco made a mess.

On the other hand, my Mozart had just come home from Montblanc with a brand new section....So it was tight

I bought my MB Mozart the year they came out - in 1991. They were a commemorative of the 200 years since his death.

I did use MB cartridges in it from time to time, but also the other, standard international (short version) and have never noticed any difference in ease of pushing in or removing... My main reason for using the MB cartridges was always that they were the only black ink cartridges I could find locally. The standard internationals I've found here are mostly blue, sometimes a variety pack of different colors. The MB boutique had black.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I fell in love with this little beauty this past May when I happened upon one at an MB boutique and tracked one down shortly after. I adore it! As a matter of fact, I've got it inked and with me today. I grabbed a random short cartridge and it works great.

Congratulations!

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

inotrym - I prefer to use bottled ink and I appreciate this information on the converter - thank you! And yes, I agree, my husband is very thoughtful. He is not into pens at all (watches are his thing) but he is very supportive of my interests.

JulieParadise - thank you for confirming, and for posting the results of your "experiment"!

Chrissy - I appreciate your update.

mhguda - I wondered why it was an homage to Mozart. I generally like playing with different ink colors, but I have to say, I do like the MB cartridge in Oyster Gray and think it would be a good complement to the Bordeaux color of the pen.

Shannon - I am getting excited to use the Mozart. My husband offered to let me start using it when it arrived, but I had him put it away until my birthday in September. The anticipation is part of the fun. I'm actually kind of glad he told me about it, and let me see it, in advance, because I didn't even know about the Mozart model before.

Thanks all for your thoughts!

Caroline