August: Complementary Colours - 2018 Monthly Ink Combo Project

lgsoltek

Happy summer/winter! For August, do a combination of complementary colours. (There is more than one model to define "complementary colours", apparently. See for example Wikipedia here.)

Click here to read more about the 2018 project.

Edited by Lgsoltek

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• namrehsnoom

• crahptacular

• Noihvo

That Wikipedia link was interesting (I just skimmed it due to time constraints, but really want to read it in depth at some point).

The charts on the side of the different complementary colors reminded me so much of the Josef Albers color theory assignments from my freshman year Color and Design 1 class (except that we used little squares of the complementary color instead of the larger ovals.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

For this challenge, I took the traditional path with blue/yellow as complementary colours. Since I love the L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio series of inks, I went with L'Heure Dorée for the yellow ink, and Oconto for the blue.

A big thank you to Lg for keeping this great ink challenge series going - always good for a couple of fun hours. I've embedded a small tribute in the drawing... if you can crack the code ;-)

fpn_1533378890__201808_-_complementary_i

For this challenge, I took the traditional path with blue/yellow as complementary colours. Since I love the L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio series of inks, I went with L'Heure Dorée for the yellow ink, and Oconto for the blue.

A big thank you to Lg for keeping this great ink challenge series going - always good for a couple of fun hours. I've embedded a small tribute in the drawing... if you can crack the code ;-)

It's gorgeous! Thank you!

I can guess the symbols stand for LGSOLTEK, and that "top right corner with a dot" symbol is the letter L. I can't figure out where the sequence starts and in which direction though. :D

I have this prepared for a long time. Once I knew we were gonna do a complementary colours combo, I knew I had to do this:

fpn_1533380096__img_6287.jpg

A pastiche of Martial Raysse's Made In Japan: La Grande Odalisque, with Diamine Meadow and Sailor Irori. It's one of my favourites paintings in Centre Pompidou.

The original looks like this:

made-in-japan-la-grande-odalisque-1964.j

I had a good time reading and learning about complementary colors for this month. I remember learning the RYB color model back in elementary school, but we never learned about any pairs besides the primary and secondary colors, and it never really occurred to me that there would be complementary pairs for all of the “in-between” colors. After some thought, I wound up choosing RO Tranquility and KWZ Grapefruit (based on the color star’s “teal-vermilion” pair).

fpn_1533440152__08_august.jpg

I have this prepared for a long time. Once I knew we were gonna do a complementary colours combo, I knew I had to do this:

A pastiche of Martial Raysse's Made In Japan: La Grande Odalisque, with Diamine Meadow and Sailor Irori. It's one of my favourites paintings in Centre Pompidou.

This is super cool!

I can guess the symbols stand for LGSOLTEK, and that "top right corner with a dot" symbol is the letter L. I can't figure out where the sequence starts and in which direction though. :D

+1 for deductive skills ;-) You can google “Masonic Cipher” for the code used... a quite popular ciphercode when I was a teen.

I have this prepared for a long time. A pastiche of Martial Raysse's Made In Japan: La Grande Odalisque, with Diamine Meadow and Sailor Irori. It's one of my favourites paintings in Centre Pompidou.

Great drawing for presenting these complementary colours. Excellent choice of subject!

I had a good time reading and learning about complementary colors for this month. I remember learning the RYB color model back in elementary school, but we never learned about any pairs besides the primary and secondary colors, and it never really occurred to me that there would be complementary pairs for all of the “in-between” colors. After some thought, I wound up choosing RO Tranquility and KWZ Grapefruit (based on the color star’s “teal-vermilion” pair).

fpn_1533440152__08_august.jpg

I love that doodle!

Loving both of these colours, and the image . . .

I, ADORE this piece from you. It may well replace the 54 Kyonooto ink sample page as my favourite post of yours . . . :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by Tas

My very lame attempt at drawing, which I don't do very often at all…

post-100584-0-16856700-1533830831_thumb.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Some great colour matches and new ink discoveries this month again. Thank you all for your entries.

Lgsoltek; i love how you extracted the very essence of that painting in your version. It is in no way less attractive and less mysterious as the original painting to me. And it seems Diamine meadow has hints of a sheen reminiscent of the orange background? It's beautiful.

I went with a red/ cyan match; the red being Monteverde Ruby, and the turquoise is R&K Blu Mare. I found absolutely nothing to write -_-

20180818_152250b.jpg

The ultimate test; invert the colours in a software: not spot on, but close enough

20180818_152250c.jpg

The color inversion is a really neat idea! I tried it with mine to see how close my choices were (so I cheated and adjusted lightness until the colors weren't totally neon, but didn't mess with the hues).

fpn_1534719766__08_august_invert2.jpg

Some great colour matches and new ink discoveries this month again. Thank you all for your entries.

Lgsoltek; i love how you extracted the very essence of that painting in your version. It is in no way less attractive and less mysterious as the original painting to me. And it seems Diamine meadow has hints of a sheen reminiscent of the orange background? It's beautiful.

I went with a red/ cyan match; the red being Monteverde Ruby, and the turquoise is R&K Blu Mare. I found absolutely nothing to write -_-

20180818_152250b.jpg

The ultimate test; invert the colours in a software: not spot on, but close enough

20180818_152250c.jpg

Thank you for your kind words! Indeed Diamine Meadow has a slight sheen of yellow/gold.

Your colour inversion is a neat trick! (But I think it works only for complementary colours according to the RGB additive model, not for the traditional RGB subtractive model.)