Reaktor Line - Starliner Xl Fountain Pen

Karas Kustoms

The Reaktor Line of Writing Instruments, our entry level, fully machined writing instrument line, is now available for purchase. The Starliner XL fountain pen is part of the Stage 1 Launch of the Reaktor Line, retailing for $55 USD with a standard Bock polished steel nib and free shipping in the United States. See more details below

The style and elegance of a fine writing instrument without sacrificing durability or function in the new Starliner XL fountain pen. Inspired by classic fountain pen designs, built with modern machining techniques; it’s truly a marriage of history and technology. With an all new slip-cap retention system and comfort-contour grip to ensure the cap stays in place with a solid “click”. The absence of threads provides a smooth transition from the grip to the body, making the pen perfect for any writing grip. Designed to be comfortable when not posted, the Starliner XL also features a deep posting cap for added balance if needed. CNC Machined from 6061-T "space age" aluminum, which provides extreme durability, performance, and comfort.

Featuring the Bock 076 (#5) nib units available in various tip sizes and materials, capable of using either standard international cartridges or a standard international cartridge/converter, it’s a writer’s dream. Ships standard with a Polished Steel nib in sizes EF-B, 1.1mm stub, 1.5mm stub, or 1.9mm stub, a Schmidt K5 Converter, and two Monteverde black cartridges. Upgrades to Titanium and 14k Gold available.

Rugged enough for an outback excursion, dignified enough for the board room; let the Starliner XL from Karas Pen Co fulfill all of your writing needs. Reaktor: Create.Explore.Record.

PRDUCT REVIEWS

Figboot on Pens

Gourmet Pens

Pens!Paper!Pencils!

The Gentleman Stationer

The Clicky Post

UK Fountain Pens

The Finer Point

BYOB Pen Club

The Well Appointed Desk

post-121134-0-32962600-1532646244_thumb.jpg

post-121134-0-14091500-1532646257_thumb.jpg

post-121134-0-22426800-1532646274_thumb.jpg

post-121134-0-16649600-1532646284_thumb.jpg

post-121134-0-88889700-1532646309_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karas Kustoms

• KellyMcJ

• bass1193

• Spelikan

Already ordered my yesterday. I'm so excited for this pen...trying to decide what to ink it with!

Really good looking design! I think I'll definitely be buying one. And it's amazing that you can offer it at that price point! Is it use of automation in the production that allows this?

Really good looking design! I think I'll definitely be buying one. And it's amazing that you can offer it at that price point! Is it use of automation in the production that allows this?

It's a convergence of certain things. Removal of problematic anodize colors lowers the product loss rate. Less customization reduces assembly time and labor costs. Designing this strictly as a fountain pen without the ability to convert it to a rollerball reduces design time. Mastery and use of updated multi-axis CNC machining centers cuts production time. Not printing instructions and sourcing a less expensive box to ship the pens in reduces costs. At every turn with this pen we made decisions to cut costs, reduce loss, increase efficiency, while maintaining quality and adapting the design to user feedback so that we had a unique, durable entry level fountain pen that was fully machined in the United States.

Such a detailed response, and really great of you to share this info! I appreciate you taking the time, and I'll definitely be ordering one of these. Loving the tumbled aluminum, and I think this will be my first foray into titanium nib territory!

Designed to be comfortable when not posted, the Starliner XL also features a deep posting cap for added balance if needed.

Huzzah! :)

~ S.

It's a convergence of certain things. Removal of problematic anodize colors lowers the product loss rate. Less customization reduces assembly time and labor costs. Designing this strictly as a fountain pen without the ability to convert it to a rollerball reduces design time. Mastery and use of updated multi-axis CNC machining centers cuts production time. Not printing instructions and sourcing a less expensive box to ship the pens in reduces costs. At every turn with this pen we made decisions to cut costs, reduce loss, increase efficiency, while maintaining quality and adapting the design to user feedback so that we had a unique, durable entry level fountain pen that was fully machined in the United States.

With all of those things, this is the first line that really appeals to me- you've done away with the step in the section that the screw cap models have, and you've invented a truly serviceable push cap (I assume the O rings holding it are fairly easy to replace, making a push cap mechanism that's nearly infinite.) This is a huge, huge design win.

Mine is out for delivery as we speak and I'm engaging in some serious postal service stalking until it arrives. I'll be sure to post pix!

One thing I'd LOVE to see is rollerballs that can accept more refills..I'm in the minority, apparently, in that I really dislike Pilot G2 refills. Everyone seems to love them, but they really don't work for me, they skip and are scratchy whenever I try to use them. I much prefer Uniball Signo refills...I'd love to see one that offered that function...especially when paired with the slip cap option! :D

It would be super cool, too, if you did something like a "Reaktor Luxe" line with brass and copper as options. At a suitably elevated price point, of course! Sounds like this design, with its robust replaceable o-ring cap, is awesome enough to deserve a broader range of materials. Kudos again on your innovations, Karas Customs!

There is so much consideration for the customer with this pen and it's built to last a lifetime.

You guys have created one heck of a pen.

It would be super cool, too, if you did something like a "Reaktor Luxe" line with brass and copper as options. At a suitably elevated price point, of course! Sounds like this design, with its robust replaceable o-ring cap, is awesome enough to deserve a broader range of materials. Kudos again on your innovations, Karas Customs!

This is a possibility. Depending on how the standard Al versions sell we may add a "plus" or "premium" line with brass or copper at some point, likely in smaller batches if we do make that call.

With all of those things, this is the first line that really appeals to me- you've done away with the step in the section that the screw cap models have, and you've invented a truly serviceable push cap (I assume the O rings holding it are fairly easy to replace, making a push cap mechanism that's nearly infinite.) This is a huge, huge design win.

Mine is out for delivery as we speak and I'm engaging in some serious postal service stalking until it arrives. I'll be sure to post pix!

One thing I'd LOVE to see is rollerballs that can accept more refills..I'm in the minority, apparently, in that I really dislike Pilot G2 refills. Everyone seems to love them, but they really don't work for me, they skip and are scratchy whenever I try to use them. I much prefer Uniball Signo refills...I'd love to see one that offered that function...especially when paired with the slip cap option! :D

We do use an O-ring for the cap to grip closure. In the event the O-ring breaks or wears over time, that is something we'd cover under our lifetime warranty. So we planned ahead and would either send a replacement or if the customer wants service they can send the pen in and we will service the entire pen replacing any parts that needed replacing.

As for the Signo refill, that is a ~110mm refill, I think it's just a hair longer than 110mm. I will see if I have one and test it with the Galaxie XL, but I believe it will work in that pen without the need for any kind of major adaptation.

I just tested it and the Signo does need a small amount of plastic trimmed from the back end. I didn't measure it exactly, but a quick slice with a razor blade rendered a perfect fit on the Galaxie XL for the Signo UMR-87 refill I had in my desk.

I just tested it and the Signo does need a small amount of plastic trimmed from the back end. I didn't measure it exactly, but a quick slice with a razor blade rendered a perfect fit on the Galaxie XL for the Signo UMR-87 refill I had in my desk.

Oooh, nice! Thanks!