More Expensive Fat-Sectioned Pens

PotatoJesus

I am very happy that I can order the Pelikan for much cheaper from Cult Pens but where should I go for the Montblanc? (That MB Dumas is quite lovely looking, this forum leads me down a dark path :rolleyes: )

How long did it take the grip section to irritate your thumb? I was kinda getting sold on Visconti but the threads could be a big problem for me

Hey, we do what we can to enable a fellow fountain pen addict user. :D

I don't remember much how long it took for the threads on the HS to irritate me, but it wasn't that long (it has been more than 1.5 y since I've used it). But, that is a bit personal, of course. My son has a grip similar to mine and it doesn't bother him.

Do you have the opportunity to try it? Maybe a trip to Fountain Pen Hospital... or one of the pen shows.

Montblancs 149, if bought used are well inside your budget. But if you want one of the more exotic nibs (that OBBB is to die for :wub: . Just saying ... :rolleyes: ), then Europe is the place to go. I always buy mine from La Couronne du Comte (Dennis is a great guy). Once you take out VAT and use a coupon (Brown10) it comes close to your budget. They always have 20% off sales too (sign up for their newsletter), so if you are patient its is pretty close to the budget (thanksgiving and new year's have sales for sure). Finally, there are a couple of times a year that they have some MBs up to 30% off (I had a 149 Rose Gold BB in my cart earlier this year for about $500, but decided against it. When I came to my senses they were gone :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: ).

Edited by Lam1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PotatoJesus

• Honeybadgers

• Lam1

• Driften

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't remember much how long it took for the threads on the HS to irritate me, but it wasn't that long (it has been more than 1.5 y since I've used it). But, that is a bit personal, of course. My son has a grip similar to mine and it doesn't bother him.

Do you have the opportunity to try it? Maybe a trip to Fountain Pen Hospital... or one of the pen shows.

Montblancs 149, if bought used are well inside your budget. But if you want one of the more exotic nibs (that OBBB is to die for :wub: . Just saying ... :rolleyes: ), then Europe is the place to go. I always buy mine from La Couronne du Comte (Dennis is a great guy). Once you take out VAT and use a coupon (Brown10) it comes close to your budget. They always have 20% off sales too (sign up for their newsletter), so if you are patient its is pretty close to the budget (thanksgiving and new year's have sales for sure). Finally, there are a couple of times a year that they have some MBs up to 30% off (I had a 149 Rose Gold BB in my cart earlier this year for about $500, but decided against it. When I came to my senses they were gone :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: ).

Looking at a Rose Gold 149 I will definitely be waiting eagerly for the next sale, though is it special holidays where they have the sales or just random?

Don't think I would have the opportunity to go to FPH seeing that they aren't open during the weekends and that would be the only time I could go :unsure: , kinda sucks because seeing pictures of the store makes it look like a great place. And googling some other stores in the city it seems like they are all closed on the weekend :yikes:.

All I took away from this was imagining someone trying to take notes. In class. with an OBBB.

"THE" *NEXT PAGE* "SUM" *NEXT PAGE* "OF T" *NEXT PAGE* "HE AR" *NEXT PAGE* "EA IS"....

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I as someone who favors more stiff pens, would the M1000 require a much softer touch not to flex?

How exactly do you hold your visconti, because now that Lam1 brought it up I my thumb will most likely sit on top of the threads and I don't think that it would be very comfortable, you're making me consider the homosapiens but the threads seem to be much more prominent which could cause issues with my grip. I dont really know if I will buy from nibs.com because they dont seem to have a normal grind nib down option for the nib customization, just straight to needle point

I hold with either a firm tripod grip or with the pen resting on the final joint of my middle finger, my thumb and index finger are always either parallel or my thumb slightly behind the index finger.

I honestly have never heard someone complain about the threads before today. Not in any review. So like he said, it's personal. We all have quirks, and if your grip is anything remotely standard, you likely will never notice it.

None of these pens are going to be flexible. Even a semiflex nib shouldn't influence your writing. Only the softest full flex and wet noodle pens should change your writing. If you like extra fine nibs, the EF m1000 nib will likely give you a little line variation as you write, but not so much as to slow you down. it mostly just bounces along like a gold nib should. My 149 is genuinely like writing with a steel nib. I would prefer it to be quite a bit bouncier.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

it's balanced, it writes well, but the only things that stand out on it are the white star and the ENORMOUS nib (which is honestly what sold me on it. I'm such a sucker for a huge nib) but there are no really exotic materials.

If you are really looking for a big nib, check out Namiki Urushi #50. Those nibs are way bigger than a 149 nib. Edited by Mew

If you are really looking for a big nib, check out Namiki Urushi #50. Those nibs are way bigger than a 149 nib.

Sure, let me just go sell my car.

Looking at a Rose Gold 149 I will definitely be waiting eagerly for the next sale, though is it special holidays where they have the sales or just random?

Don't think I would have the opportunity to go to FPH seeing that they aren't open during the weekends and that would be the only time I could go :unsure: , kinda sucks because seeing pictures of the store makes it look like a great place. And googling some other stores in the city it seems like they are all closed on the weekend :yikes:.

They have sales at the major US holidays and a couple at set times throughout the year (but I never kept track). The one that had the 149 for the price I mentioned was around February (I think) and it is different of the other sales, since it is just selected pens and at 30% off. It really pays to subscribe their newsletter.

All I took away from this was imagining someone trying to take notes. In class. with an OBBB.

"THE" *NEXT PAGE* "SUM" *NEXT PAGE* "OF T" *NEXT PAGE* "HE AR" *NEXT PAGE* "EA IS"....

You seriously can't do that... I nearly choked when I read it :lticaptd: .

But, actually, being oblique, the OBBB is not that broad. I almost put it in the drawer of "skinny" nibs :P .

Oh, and I do math alright with it - admittedly, sub/superscripts are on the chubby side :D . But, hey, paper is cheap!

It just occurred to me that, if you are within striking distance from DC, they will have the super show there next weekend. You would see all of the pens mentioned and then some. The risk, of course, is to completely blow the budget and, if you're married, your better half send you to the doghouse for the better part of the year :lol: .

Dont forget about something like a Sailor KoP Pro Gear that can be had new from reputable Japanese eBay vendors within the target price range.

27065428157_c744a72d01_k.jpg

Edited by Tseg

PotatoJesus : if you are looking at the Pelikan M1000 pen, check out the website of Cult Pens, which is a dealer in the UK. Their prices are definitely lower than any Pelikan dealers in the USA. My friend just bought a Pelikan M1000 from them about 2 months back and he saved a lot of money on his purchase.

PotatoJesus : if you are looking at the Pelikan M1000 pen, check out the website of Cult Pens, which is a dealer in the UK. Their prices are definitely lower than any Pelikan dealers in the USA. My friend just bought a Pelikan M1000 from them about 2 months back and he saved a lot of money on his purchase.

Yeah that was gonna be the place I bought it from, its crazy how much more expensive it is in the US

It just occurred to me that, if you are within striking distance from DC, they will have the super show there next weekend. You would see all of the pens mentioned and then some. The risk, of course, is to completely blow the budget and, if you're married, your better half send you to the doghouse for the better part of the year :lol: .

As much as I would love to go I am only 17 and I am certain my parents wouldn't want to drive down to DC with me (maybe I could convince them to go with me next year it I start early)

Dont forget about something like a Sailor KoP Pro Gear that can be had new from reputable Japanese eBay vendors within the target price range.

Which ebay sellers should I be looking for?

Edited by PotatoJesus

Montblanc 149 is quite pudgy, and I can’t comfortably use one.

My Dolce Vita OS, however is great.

Always try first if possible.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

"""All I took away from this was imagining someone trying to take notes. In class. with an OBBB.

"THE" *NEXT PAGE* "SUM" *NEXT PAGE* "OF T" *NEXT PAGE* "HE AR" *NEXT PAGE* "EA IS"...."""" :lticaptd: :thumbup:

I have a Pelikan 500 with a maxi-semi-flex OBBB, with 30 degree grind. A legal signature takes 2/3rds-3/4ths of a page.

I do have a number of OBB's a couple modern, and a couple vintage. And they are no where as wide as OBBB.....

A '50-70 149 will be semi or maxi-semi-flex. I have a medium-large 146 from that ear with a maxi. My '70-80 Large ...light and nimble 146 is only a regular flex.I find the Large146 to be lighter and more nimble than a 800. But not all that much into thicker pens, like the much better balance of a '50-60's medium-large 146.

My fat MB LE Virginia Woolf is a Large pen with a thick body.Thicker in the body, than a 1000, but a tad thinner in the section.

So is it a thick body...or a thick section that is most important?

I find my used 1005 not to be as quite as wide or large as I thought having tried it back before I had a few Large pens. Mine was not the semi-flex I tested in my B&M, but a nice springy OBB regular flex. I lucked out in a live auction for E200 + 25% auction house fee and tax ie E250/$300. I'd not spent a lot of money on it. In it wasn't up my alley. So if so look for used ones....look in German Ebay...could/should be cheaper than US Ebay.

A couple went for E272 & 275, another for E300.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

"""All I took away from this was imagining someone trying to take notes. In class. with an OBBB.

"THE" *NEXT PAGE* "SUM" *NEXT PAGE* "OF T" *NEXT PAGE* "HE AR" *NEXT PAGE* "EA IS"...."""" :lticaptd: :thumbup:

I have a Pelikan 500 with a maxi-semi-flex OBBB, with 30 degree grind. A legal signature takes 2/3rds-3/4ths of a page.

I do have a number of OBB's a couple modern, and a couple vintage. And they are no where as wide as OBBB.....

A '50-70 149 will be semi or maxi-semi-flex. I have a medium-large 146 from that ear with a maxi. My '70-80 Large ...light and nimble 146 is only a regular flex.I find the Large146 to be lighter and more nimble than a 800. But not all that much into thicker pens, like the much better balance of a '50-60's medium-large 146.

My fat MB LE Virginia Woolf is a Large pen with a thick body.Thicker in the body, than a 1000, but a tad thinner in the section.

I find my used 1005 not to be as quite as wide or large as I thought having tried it back before I had a few Large pens. Mine was not the semi-flex I tested in my B&M, but a nice springy OBB regular flex. I lucked out in a live auction for E200 + 25% auction house fee and tax ie E250/$300. I'd not spent a lot of money on it. In it wasn't up my alley. So if so look for used ones....look in German Ebay...could/should be cheaper than US Ebay.

A thick sections is most important to me.

Thanks for the heads up, I will check out German ebay for used Pelikans. I like the previous black finial with the 2 chicks much more than the all gold one anyways, so buying used is probably a better idea for me

I was able to snag a Visconti Homo sapiens used for real cheap and it should be here by Friday, so hopefully the grip section won't bother me. Though I probably will be sending it straight off to get a nib reduction since I need pens that won't completely bleed through cheap paper

Edited by PotatoJesus

I was able to snag a Visconti Homo sapiens used for real cheap and it should be here by Friday, so hopefully the grip section won't bother me. Thought I probably will be sending it straight off to get a nib reduction since I need pens that won't completely bleed through cheap paper

Just see how it goes. My Homo Sapiens is not that wet. My B is 0.75mm. I love the section on my HS. It's the most comfortable one I have with it's hourglass shape. It's close to a M800 but the outer edge is more comfortable to my support finger then a m800.

If yours ends up bring too wet, maybe get the flow adjusted as apposed to leaving it wet but ground thinner, but people can do both at once so after you know what it's like they should be able to tailor it to what ever you want including writing angle.

Quoting this because I absolutely forgot. the KoP is absolutely a fat section, super high end pen. The nib is a lot softer than a 149 but not as soft as the M1000, and has that lovely pencil-like feedback.

The only downside to the KoP, in my eyes, is that it's not a piston filler. I hate that sailor charges an extra arm/leg for the Realo models.

You're 17 and you just bought a homo sapiens?

Kids these days.

Still, kudos to you for not making an impulsive decision on your purchase.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Just see how it goes. My Homo Sapiens is not that wet. My B is 0.75mm. I love the section on my HS. It's the most comfortable one I have with it's hourglass shape. It's close to a M800 but the outer edge is more comfortable to my support finger then a m800.

If yours ends up bring too wet, maybe get the flow adjusted as apposed to leaving it wet but ground thinner, but people can do both at once so after you know what it's like they should be able to tailor it to what ever you want including writing angle.

It would be great if I didnt need to get it reground, but the pen is a medium and I will be using it in college ruled paper so it might be too thick to write with

Quoting this because I absolutely forgot. the KoP is absolutely a fat section, super high end pen. The nib is a lot softer than a 149 but not as soft as the M1000, and has that lovely pencil-like feedback.

The only downside to the KoP, in my eyes, is that it's not a piston filler. I hate that sailor charges an extra arm/leg for the Realo models.

You're 17 and you just bought a homo sapiens?

Kids these days.

Still, kudos to you for not making an impulsive decision on your purchase.

I have to agree, if the Sailor KOP was a piston filler I would definitely go for it, as I really enjoy the feedback they have on their nibs.

Yeah I have been into fountain pens for about 3 years now and I have slowly made my way up from a cheap 2 dollar jinhao to flagship pens as my tastes evolved, but with my good luck all of my pens more than 200 were bought used, so I got them for significantly cheaper than what they go for new and always less than 400 bucks. Though honestly its really easy to not make impulse purchases when most of the pens that catch my eye are 500+ and I dont usually have that amount burning hole in my pocket so I really have to check and make sure its really what I want while saving up money.

Edited by PotatoJesus

It all depends on your pen. My Visconti Opera Club is a M and writes half way between F and M. It has no problems with small writing. Not all Visconti are over width gushers, but yours might be. Let's say yours is really wet, just adjusting it to not be so wet will make the line with thinner. My gold nib Pilot's (Vanishing point, custom 74) went from a 0.6mm M to a 0.5mm M just by changing the ink.

It costs more to regrind then to adjust the flow and smoothness. Also changing the width from M to F or what ever size in mm you want can with some nibmiesters cost more then a regrind to a stub or CI. It's interesting how going from a round nib to a stub/Ci can make a wide nib seem narrower on the page. Using a CI does slow down my writing a little. It makes me take more care in forming the cursive letters since they can look so nice with the built in line variation.

The last thing to think about. Having a pen custom ground can affect its value up or down. In a year you might want to sell the pen to get a even higher end pen or just something different. The nice thing is they can make a pen write best for you, the bad thing is it writes best for you and may not for someone else. Pick who does the work wisely. Expect at least a 4-6 week turnaround on nib work. If you went to something like the DC Pen show they could do it while you wait and let you test as they go to make it perfect for you.