How Many Pens Do You Have Inked At Any One Time?

Moonfruit

I have three pens inked most of the time. Sometimes four.

Usually inked:

-Parker Lady Duofold

-Parker IM (old style)

-Parker Urban (old style)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• 1nkulus

• TSherbs

• cellmatrix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha, I guess I just don't understand how someone would keep the number of their fountain pens inked at a given point in time (assuming not during a mass cleansing exercise) to a number countable on the fingers on one hand.

What if the question was modified to: what percentage of fountain pens you own do you keep inked at any one time?

I guess my answer would be 50%-60%.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

What if the question was modified to: what percentage of fountain pens you own do you keep inked at any one time?

Interesting point. In percentage terms my inked fountain pens are 75% with the potential to get to 100%. (Yes, I can't say I collect pens).

I just received a display case with the capacity of thirty pens. It's now filled almost to capacity, half with pens that are loaded with ink. I have another maybe twenty cheap fountain pens, two thirds of which are loaded, sharing the habitat of a large soup cup. I have eleven pens arriving in the mail, hopefully within the next week.

(That's not counting the two dozen or so fountain pens of which my fiancee has relieved me, haha!)

Filling just five out of all of those at any one time just would not make sense to me.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Haha, I guess I just don't understand how someone would keep the number of their fountain pens inked at a given point in time (assuming not during a mass cleansing exercise) to a number countable on the fingers on one hand.

At the moment the ratio of inked pens to all in my possession would be 10 inked to 40 I have, so 25% inked. I have to admit that I would like to keep the percentage well above 75%.

(Which probably prompts me to prepare for another round of selling pens -- 10 or so -- or giving more of them to my children and keep only the most loved ones.)

Filling just five out of all of those at any one time just would not make sense to me.

"sense"?

You're in the wrong hobby. 😉

• 3 weeks later...

I just received ten new fountain pens for myself (and a couple as gifts for others) – all Platinum branded pens featuring snap caps, mostly Plaisir pens marketed as being able to prevent ink from drying inside the pen even if unused for several months – and I've already filled seven of them with ink.

I have two modes that I write in.

During periods of serious writing I will only have two inked. The others I will empty and clean up.

During pen play mode, I will have 6-8 inked. This is when I am comparing pens, playing ink, etc.

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

I just received ten new fountain pens for myself (and a couple as gifts for others) – all Platinum branded pens featuring snap caps, mostly Plaisir pens marketed as being able to prevent ink from drying inside the pen even if unused for several months – and I've already filled seven of them with ink.

I also have a Plaisir on the way (I already own two) and have been very pleased with them. They perform way above their pricepoint (IMO).

Right now, nine

Waterman Man 100

MB 149

Bexley

Parker Duofold

Pelikan 800

Targa

Sheaffer School

Parker 51

Schaeffer Desk Prelude

Edited by Charles Rice

I also have a Plaisir on the way (I already own two) and have been very pleased with them.

This order of pens gave me my first user experience with a Platinum Plaisir. They're alright, but the finer of two nib sizes in which the pens are offered writes a teensy-weensy little too broad for my personal tastes in ‘serious’ writing tasks. For the lighter colours (Iroshizuku fuyu-syogun, kiri-same, yu-yake, etc.) with which I've inked most of them, they're OK.

I bought them because they were one of the cheapest options for me to get pens with inscriptions of partial quotes from the Confucian Analects, and – now that I've tried them – they do write as well as or even better than the Sailor Lecoule, which costs more.

I'm much happier writing with the F nib on the Platinum Balance, and the actual feel of the pen (barrel) in my grip is subjectively better, too.

If I was selecting a pen for over-performance in a cheap model, I'd go with the Pilot Metropolitan every time.

Six.

Seven if you count the Pelikan 150 beater with the "fude" nib.

Like, 20 (?) if you count the Platinum Preppies and similar low-cost pens that hold my seldom-used ink colors.

So... six.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

32. Except one or two, which I'm currently testing, all the rest can wait perfectly for more than two weeks without hard starts, so no problema in that sense.

If I feel minimalist (not that often) I need to have at least a two: an F Royal Blue (Pelikan 4001) and a F Black (Waterman or Platinum).

Edited by Qoan

Max. three at any point.

I also have a Plaisir on the way (I already own two) and have been very pleased with them. They perform way above their price point (IMO).

+1

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Depends on what I have going on.

I have a Lihit Lab Smart Pouch that is essentially a purse for me. It holds my phone and a Midori Passport notebook, which has an FP in the loop. Where I go, the Lihit Lab goes. So it has to have a pen, in case I need to log appointments or other vital information in my notebook. That pen only leaves the pouch for writing on the go, or to be cleaned. I don't use it for class, unless I have a pen emergency.

For class, I usually have at least five other FPs inked: One for my major writing tasks, inked with a blue or blue-black ink. The others are for color coding, and are always inked with a purple, green, orange and pink ink.

At home, I'll usually have a broad nibbed pen inked with a shimmer ink, for goofing off. Just got a flex pen, though, so it will probably be the shimmer ink pen for a while. That means I can switch the broad-nibbed pen over to great shading inks. Also, I'll usually have my Waterman Carene inked up with blue or blue-black ink on my desk, in case I left my pen case in my backpack across the house and don't want to hike to get it, either out of laziness or because I need to write something NOW.

I otherwise don't keep other pens inked, unless I'm tired of the ones I've been using, or need them for an art project. Then I rotate them in or out, as needed.

Edited by Aquaria

I have "only" seven pens inked at the moment. It will be nine soon, because my Passport pen and my orange ink pen are taking a bath right now.

And that means I'm using only 4.8% of my collection right now. When it gets to nine, the percentage will be 6.2%