Platinum Procyon New Model

Olya

I only saw a Japanese review of this pen on YouTube so I assume that's the one you saw?

It was a "M" nib size and the line size is compared to a Kakuno "F".

Overall the pen is longer than a Kakuno and based on the video is as wide (at the widest part of the pen) as the Kakuno.

Personally, it looks bigger than what I expected

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• JonSzanto

• minddance

• dan in montreal

I saw two different Youtube videos from the same Japanese woman. In both she had the Procyon alongside the Kakuno. The lines looked the same, which I'm a little surprised by. My Platinum Cool M is about the same as my Kakuno M and my Plaisir M.

I really wish the Youtube transcription translator was on, because I'd really liek to know what she said about the pen and how it compares in feel to the Pilot which costs one-fifth the price....

Edited by tvradio

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

After seeing the review, ehm.... how do I put this... The pen just seem meh.

Maybe I need to see the dark blue one in action to spur up my interest again.

Personally, it looks bigger than what I expected

Perhaps the reviewer has small hands

It's the Internet. You can find people complaining everywhere about anything.

How feedbacky the nib is depends on the ink, paper and nib combination.

My sailor nibs filled with Pelikan Black on copy paper will feel very feedbacky but the same nib filled with Kiwa Guro ink writing on Claire Fountaine will be glass smooth.

I to find Platinum nibs used on 3776 and Nakaya have a lot of feedback. They are great for logographic language like Japanese or Chinese but I find it a bit too much for cursive, especially the soft fine and soft medium.

Platinum President nib is on the other hand less feedbacky and one of the best stiff gold nibs around.

I heard that one well known on line retailer has taken Sailor off his offerings because too many people were complaining about scratchy nibs. The problem is that people read reviews when people rave about glass smooth Sailor nibs and they are than disappointed especially if they are new to the fountain pen and they accustomed to smooth ballpoints and rollerballs. IMHO Sailor nibs are best made nibs, followed by Pilot. Then there is a big gap, and after a while there is Aurora, closely followed by Pelikan and Platinum.

I noticed that Pilot fine nib pens that I bought directly from Japan have more feedback than the ones I bought from the UK retailers. It could be a coincidence but I would be interested if anyone else has a similar experience.

As far as Procyon go, I cant see myself not buying it.

Edited by vonManstein

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

Very true on Sailor. I too think many came from different areas (either coming from gel pens and others that write smoothly, or other fpen brands that make very smooth nibs) and expected the same writing experience with Sailor and were then disappointed and thought the pen faulty... I've read some comments that Sailor had a dip in quality control a few years ago, but I don't know.. I think that may have been around the time when they changed the engraving on their nibs and the tipping was made differently too with those nibs (the start of the foot) and that may have confused some... Sailor nibs are in my experience tempramental, quite smooth with some inks and papers and toothy with others.. Quite unique in my experience so far, but always flawless performers. I have yet to come across a dud.

My Pilots have all come from Japan directly so far and have been very smooth, buttery even.

Sailors are never boring. Always sensational and for me, always something to discover. Nothing conventional.

Sailors are not Pelikans. If one seeks extremely smooth and round like a rollerball, Sailors are not the pen.

My Sailors do not enjoy Rhodia.

Pilots are really mixed quality and sensations. I have very smooth Sfm, BB, SM, EF, and feedbacky Fine (extremely dry and refused to write) and SF. I wonder if it is the vendor recycling returned pens or is Pilot made this way.

Platinum I dislike very much, but I enjoy Preppy. The feedback is not Sailor feedback. Sailor feedback is interesting and helpful in producing variations in lines but Platinum feedback is not. Platinum feedback feels like it is at odds with any paper I use, except Tomoe River.

Edited by minddance

Platinum I dislike very much, but I enjoy Preppy. The feedback is not Sailor feedback. Sailor feedback is interesting and helpful in producing variations in lines but Platinum feedback is not. Platinum feedback feels like it is at odds with any paper I use, except Tomoe River.

I actually have the opposite experience. I enjoy the F nibs on the Platinum but much less so on the Sailor F nibs.

I actually have the opposite experience. I enjoy the F nibs on the Platinum but much less so on the Sailor F nibs.

It's good to know that you are enjoying your Platinum F. Maybe someday I should revisit my Platinums - ink them with different inks and write on different papers again. I still keep my Platinums, they are "third chance" pens. Sailor was "second chance" pen, meaning I did not like Sailor at first.

Tastes change, as do writing habits and hand.

I also keep my Sailor inked usually with Blue Black, it is such a nice pen. As for the Platinum, it is also good as backup.

They are reliable and the slip & seal is very handy at those situations.

Those Plaisirs really look like the Jinhao X750 in all silver in the photos.

I'm wondering why the Procyon has not been released yet officially? I thought it was supposed to be released this September (although technically there are still 2 weeks until the end of September)

Edited by penzel_washinkton

Goulet and others have them for $53, though with severely limited availability right now it's being price-gouged on ebay for $88.

I assume internet prices will come down significantly as shops get it in stock - for example, the Cool sells in the US for $44, but I got mine shipped from Japan for half that.

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

Figboot finally has a review online claiming that it will be available shortly.

Looking at the writing sample, it writes a really fine (and really dry) line. If it's the same as the 3776 then I won't have a problem but it looks like drier than the 3776

O dear, drier than 3776 means it will exclude many inks for me. I already had a very hard time finding inks that will give me the look I want with 3776 medium.

Nope, I am not going to spread those tines.

I don't get it: one of the easiest adjustments to do to most any pen is adjust it for wetter writing. Why is everyone wringing their hands and clutching their pearls?

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Yes, check out the review and judge for yourself whether it is drier or not.

IMO it looks like it is drier and I am interested on the left stroke & upstroke of the Procyon, might experience skipping if it's too dry.