Downtime Fpn Last Night

wimg

Dear all,

FPN was down last night, due to a general http-problem on our server. A simple reboot started everything up again, and Support is investigating what could have caused this.

IOW, we were here all the time, just that no one could get to the web site.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

FPN Admin

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• dennis_f

• inkstainedruth

• Pete-M

I had wondered what was going on. I tried several times last night to log on and got an error message, but thought it might just be that you were doing upgrades.

Glad that it was just temporary, though.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Tip: Fountain Pen Network should have a twitter account so we can check any disruptions in the future.

I had wondered what was going on. I tried several times last night to log on and got an error message, but thought it might just be that you were doing upgrades.

Glad that it was just temporary, though.

:)

Whenever we do maintenance etc., we will always display a message of some sort. If you do get an error message, like the error 503 message last night, it means something is indeed amiss, in this case, the Apache server no longer working. Unfortunately it was way past bedtime over here, so only discovered it this morning, Took only a minute to fix, but it is indeed annoying :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Tip: Fountain Pen Network should have a twitter account so we can check any disruptions in the future.

We do have a twitter account, but we do not use it. We are all volunteers here, and it just takes way too much time. Running FPN from an admin POV already is more than a full job as it is, I am afraid.

See my reply above: when we do any maintenance, a message to that extent is displayed. A server wide error we can't do much about, however.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

P.S.: This should have been picked up by Hosting Support, as they monitor httpd, but somehow it didn't show. They added another tool, to notify them if something like this goes wrong, so they can actually fix it. We are on a managed server, and this is really part of the service.

the Mad Dutchman

• 2 weeks later...

That's fine. I don't use Twitter, nor do I expect FPN to be on every possible social media site out there to provide technical updates LOL! Glad all is well.

~April

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,

see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone else had any trouble receiving forum and/or thread updates ever since the downtime last night?

Ever since it's happened I haven't recieved any of my usual dozens of updates (and I've checked to see if I'm still subscribed to all of my forums and threads, and to see if there have been new posts in those forums and threads (there have been)).

I'm not sure if this is a global problem and might be affecting other users, or if it's just a strange coincidence and happened to occur after the FPN crash.

D

Edited by dennis_f

I haven't. In fact I have the opposite problem -- I forget to unfollow topics and other responses (sometimes a great number of them) end up in my inbox.... :headsmack: And that doesn't seem to have changed since the server issues last month.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I haven't. In fact I have the opposite problem -- I forget to unfollow topics and other responses (sometimes a great number of them) end up in my inbox.... :headsmack: And that doesn't seem to have changed since the server issues last month.

Thanks for letting me know ISRuth... Given that the problem started during the evening of the crash, I just assumed it was a board issue (software or something). But it doesn't seem to have resolved itself, so maybe it's something else entirely.

D.

I'll check with hosting support, what has happened.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Last message that came through for me was on Aug 14 about a PM addressed to me.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I've had nothing since 20 August and I usually get quite a few per day. Before that, it was running OK as fas as I can see.

Edited by The Good Captain

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

There is also another thread (" Not Receiving Email Notifications") in the Community Feedback forums where another group of members indicate they are not receiving email notifications.

Most likely it is effecting everyone, but most members don't realize it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that is fixed, see topic in CF.

It was fixed, apparently, a couple of times, but that did not work that well, until time spent yesterday and today on this problem.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman