Danitrio Junikaku Tame-Nuri Kama-Nuri

jandrese

This week I picked up two urushi pens, a Danitrio Junikaku tame-nuri kama-nuri and a Nakaya Portable Writer araishu. I’m posting separately but there is overlap in the photos.

43356760022_e6399f3bfc_k.jpg

The Junikaku (12 rectangles) is an oversized pen in terms of both length and girth. Dimensions are as follows:

Overall length capped: 15.7 cm or ~6.5”

Length un-capped: 14.0 cm or ~5.5”

Cap diameter: 2.3 cm or ~7/8”

Body diameter: 2.1 cm

Grip section: max. 1.6 cm, min. 1.3 cm or ~5/8” to 0.5”

29534199868_d0b0983fa3_k.jpg

So, it’s a big pen. Nevertheless, it is an excellent writer and comfortable to use. It positively dwarfs the Nakaya Portable Writer, which itself is simply a full sized pen on the order of a Pelikan M800.

29534203028_6426996769_k.jpg

29534201088_afb821fda6_k.jpg

This pen has a little flair at the end of the section reminiscent of vintage pens. My other Junikaku has a section that simply tapers without the flair. Both offer a positive grip but the flair is really a nice touch in terms of appearance and function.

28535093437_72d47c7288_k.jpg

29534201238_43578c7c95_b.jpg

Filling is via eyedropper and as a Japanese eyedropper it has a shutoff valve. Just twist open a little for an extended writing session. As you imagine it holds a lot of ink. I think I stopped at 4 ml but maybe could have gotten more inside.

29534204698_b7049f6f04_k.jpg

29534201758_4eb1f5ae52_k.jpg

Nib is the #8 size 18k gold found on many a Danitrio pen. Size is broad with a slightly stubbish shape that makes me think of the finishing on older Montblanc nibs. Gives a bit of style to the lines making it more interesting to use. Feed is ebonite and flow is ample. The nib is not flexible at all but it’s not hard as a nail either. Just enough softness for a luxury feel.

29534202278_434f973ffe_k.jpg

The base material is ebonite that is given a tame-nuri urushi finish before carving all the divots. Imagine the time and concentration it took to make this pen. The carvings are a type of kamakuri-bori technique with a long tradition in Japan. Here is a link to a most excellent article on the technique. This is the first time I’ve seen this this technique on a junikaku body and it is perhaps the ideal canvas. The facets provide a natural ground for the carvings that deliver texture and color variation. The corners of the facets then allow the light to play with the urushi layers in a most pleasing fashion. I especially like the carvings on the ends, the radial pattern just looks cool. In the light this pen is bling bling.

29534202328_510e32e441_b.jpg

Packaging is a paulownia wood box including a pen sleeve and an eye dropper. Focus is on the pen, not the packaging.

28535091757_9b1f97e4d7_k.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• Lloyd

• kazoolaw

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations.. that pen is awesome.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

That's an awesome junikaku. I think the kama-bori technique is indeed a good fit on this large canvas. Should you think of selling thisnpen, look me up!

Enjoy your new treasure.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I think about selling all the time like an addict trying to quit ha ha.

That's an awesome junikaku. I think the kama-bori technique is indeed a good fit on this large canvas. Should you think of selling thisnpen, look me up!

Enjoy your new treasure.

• 2 weeks later...