Dating Montblanc 146 (Legrand)

neugeekig

sansenri

ok so if 14k (instead of 14c) is post 82 (the OP says 14k starts much earlier) and black piston is up to 85 I assume I can approx. date my pen in that range.

I can see in any case it's difficult because several elements on the same pen may tend not to coincide with the available dating data...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael R.

• sansenri

• siamackz

• como

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TheDutchGuy

Very informative discussion and great dating chart - thanks!! I already knew that my 146 is a mosaic pen, probably due to one or more trips to Hamburg. But it’s an awesome pen and I cherish it just the way it is.

-146 mm: post-1994

-Meisterstück cap ring engraving: 1994-1997

-14C mono-colour EF nib: pre-1980

-nib holes left and right of nib: pre-1994

-plastic feed with hole: post-2000

-slightly-curved clip without engravings (possibly a replacement): pre-1997?

-clear striped ink window: post-1990

-straight grip with trumpet collar: post-1990

Adding it up, possibly a 90s pen with a vintage mono-colour 14C nib, a modern feed and a replacement clip.

9F630172-E93B-49E8-895D-1B65594F3841.thumb.jpeg.5e1d4acdde5b9ab155c965400b21a4a9.jpeg

D596612E-A41D-48F9-94DF-9AC6A677C990.jpeg.4a5e5b373abbf1348cf39ed57f4ab49d.jpeg

BBDDE9D9-78AD-4F3F-90AF-7FA9C5BA74E3.thumb.jpeg.5ca9dd968f7075a6a53922540678cd69.jpeg

287BC168-9B2F-4B15-B4DB-B4CFDF9E7458.thumb.jpeg.b9e42caf401abcfae734d1e2db5da0d2.jpeg

8474BD6B-69B2-4E6C-A04B-229F7E876866.thumb.jpeg.9459aeae76b48cef3a548ffc832a50eb.jpeg

Bo Bo Olson

It's nice to see @ what age my two 146's are, one @ F the other OB/OBB.Both have Germany, no number. One is clear the other gray.

So with no W. Germany both are after '91. Both have regular flex nibs.

For a Large pen, they are somewhat light and nimble posted. Balance  is adequate. Prefer it to a 800.

I prefer my '50's-60 medium-large 146, it is very well balanced posted, and has a maxi-semi-flex nib.

""""14C mono-colour EF nib: pre-1980 ???"""

mine are monotone 14K/585.

"""Germany was used on Montblanc pens during the 60's, 70's and 80's. W-Germany was only used for a short period between when Germany recognized that East Germany existed and reunification. Then back to Germany."""""

So I'm going to have to go back to find exact dates....though I don't see much difference, but I'm 'nooboie' to the 146...at least dating one.

@ 5 years ago, one in near mint condition sat in an live auction hall, and I felt sorry for the poor lonely pen; getting it as start bid price of E150......pure impulse buy, In I was looking for other pens later inthe auction.

.I was more interested in chasing very slowly, very slowly taking me a decade to get three 50-60's MB's with semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex nibs. 234 1/2 Deluxe(52-54 only) KOB semi-flex, rolled gold 742 with a nib between semi-flex and maxi-semi=flex; the only one I have to me a slightly odd flex (35 semis&14 maxis) , and a medium-large 146 with a wonderful maxi-semi-flex nib.

The other regular flex OB/OBB sat on a black glass plate more or less regular glass inkwell, and I got it too for the start price of E150. The boot of the inkwell made it worth chasing to me.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

TheDutchGuy
3 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Prefer it to a 800.

Oh yes, definitely. Both are great pens, but personally I’ll take the 146 any day. Must say that the removable nib/feed/collar of the Pelikan is a great feature, though.

Shamin Sebastian
On 6/29/2018 at 12:40 AM, neugeekig said:

Not only the 149 underwent various changes over time ...

Since the 146 was first produced in 1950, it changed a lot and even went out of production for a decade.

About a year ago, when I wanted to date the used 146s I was buying, I started this spreadsheet.

And as I learned a lot in this forum, I'm happy to share the gathered information - as suggested by siamackz, carlos.q and sanfong, here is the the extra thread on it :)

post-137201-0-43533300-1530212938_thumb.jpg

If you find any mistake or have new information, please share. I'll try to keep this doc updated.

cheers!

Stefan

PS: thanks to DKbRS for the inspiration with his dating 149s thread & chart

Shamin Sebastian

Hi all. I've been using fountain pens for a few years now. And I own a Lamy, Waterman, Sailor,Parker and Sheaffer. I would like to buy a Mont Blanc. I recently came across a pre owned Mont Blanc Meisterstuck 146 pre 1980s which costs approximately half the price of a brand new one. So should I go for the pre owned one or buy a new one. Which is better?

1 hour ago, Shamin Sebastian said:

So should I go for the pre owned one or buy a new one. Which is better?

If the pen comes from a trusted seller and if you know what you can/should expect from a 146, then the pre-owned one might make you happy and save you a lot of money. Otherwise, I’d suggest visiting a brick and mortar store to try one out before you buy. 

Two of my three 146's are from in or about the '90. They are large pens. I'm ocd on balance. They are ok, fairly light and nimble and can write posted, which is unusual for a large pen. Regular flex nib.

The other 146 is '50-60's :drool:medium-large one. Has great balance, a maxi-semi-flex nib....1 in 5 German pens with a bit of flex of that era was so on my guess. Will be at least a semi-flex. 

I'd gotten lucky with the maxi.

Semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex nibs are flair nibs, not calligraphy ones.

Sooner or later you are going to get a semi-flex, and the vintage 146 balances as well as a 400nn.

I'd suggest used, if so then, the better '50-60's 146. Go out of your way to get one; try Penboard.de. (top of the line in used great shape  pens)

All my MB's 5-6 outside of my Virginia Woolf were bought used.

How I hate the mealy mouthed sanitation engineer for a garbage man, and pre-owned for used.

Pre-Owned can be legit, with the pen that is NOS, only.:angry:

NOS, New Old Stock......a used pen that has never been used. Still full stickered.

I've had 5-6 over the last decade. 3 are now just old pretty used pens.

I wouldn't insist on NOS on any pen.........but some times one is lucky..............:bunny01:....then one uses it.....why have a pen you don't use?

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.