Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael R.

• sansenri

• AcLondon

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good Work! well overdue analysis, I have now Pinned it

PoA: Copernicus; JP Morgan  WE: Hemingway; Proust; Dickens; Mann; Twain; Swift  149's: 1986 2 tone; 75th 1924 LE; 90th Anniversary; Platinum; Kingsman Edition; Calligraphy 

146 Solitaire: Hematite; Gold & Black; Silver Fibre Guilloche.

Misc: 234 1/2L; Boheme Medium size non-retractable BB nib; Starwalker FP & RB; Montblanc Newson (Matt)

Want to Buy MB 129, 139 , 138 136  & 149 Silver Rings or Special Nibs

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! This chart was quite helpful as I explored and considered my first Montblanc purchase.

FWIW I am purchasing a 146 with a customized fine cursive italic nib. Will not receive it for 7-14 days and I am really looking forward to using it.

THANK YOU for your work and the shared knowledge here.

-S-

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Wow! This chart was quite helpful as I explored and considered my first Montblanc purchase.

FWIW I am purchasing a 146 with a customized fine cursive italic nib. Will not receive it for 7-14 days and I am really looking forward to using it.

THANK YOU for your work and the shared knowledge here.

-S-

My 146 has a custom cursive italic nib by Linda Kennedy. Had her make it more on the crisp side. Love writing with it!

My 146 has a custom cursive italic nib by Linda Kennedy. Had her make it more on the crisp side. Love writing with it!

Thank you for the encouragement. I am looking forward to getting and using it in the next few weeks. Saw a small writing sample and it looks really nice. Particulary interested in the "fine" cursive italic aspect of it.

Although I don't know Linda, I do know that she studied with our local "Master" nibmiester, Richard Binder. In fact, as I understand it he is scheduled to do a nib polishing workshop for our Boston Pen People in the near future.

Again, thank you for the input.

-S-

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• 1 month later...

To keep this going:

While I'm still working on putting dates on all changes - which is not easy - the following main variations can be found:

• celluloid pens in at least three variations with a mix of length of ink window, nib design, feed, imprints, size of threads (late 40-50s)

• transitional model; single barrel construction without section rim, blue in window, two-tone nib from the celluloid model (60s)

• first generation of the regular (catalogued) resin model with straight section rim, grey ink window, single barrel construction, 14C/18C single tone nibs, ebonite feeds (70s-early 80s)

• second generation with angled section rim grey ink window, two piece barrel construction, 14K/18K single tone nibs, ebonite & plastic feeds (80s-early 90s)

• first generation of the modern 146 with striped ink window, 14K/18K two-tone nibs, plastic feeds (80s-early 90s)

• second generation of the modern 146; longer barrel with striped ink window, 14K/18K two-tone nibs, plastic feeds (90s-10s)

• third (and current) generation with striped ink window, single-piece barrel construction, 14K/18K two-tone nibs, plastic feeds (10s-)

Many other minor changes can be found within the main versions like the shape of the clip, construction of the piston filler, imprints on clips, cap bands and nibs, feeds, ...

Hopefully I will have those documented one day and maybe I can find some other variations one day :-)

Would anybody know if the transitional version with the blue (not grey) ink window also came with a friction fit filler unit? Both of my pens already have the screw-in filler unit of more recent models.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael R.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I came across a blue inked window 146 on e-bay, with a gold mono-tone nib, and the feed that looks quite consistent.

However the clip says "Germany" instead of "W. Germany" is that possible? or am I possibly looking at something that has been put together using various parts?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I came across a blue inked window 146 on e-bay, with a gold mono-tone nib, and the feed that looks quite consistent.

However the clip says "Germany" instead of "W. Germany" is that possible? or am I possibly looking at something that has been put together using various parts?

"Germany was used on Montblanc pens during the 60's, 70's and 80's. W-Germany was only used for a short period between when Germany recognized that East Germany existed and reunification. Then back to Germany."

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/270266-marked-w-germany/

The above quote from an older thread is what I've always believed to be the case.

Edited by austinwft

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! Very helpful and I got my 146 ID'd. It's accurate and confirmed by people who knows.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

To keep this going:

While I'm still working on putting dates on all changes - which is not easy - the following main variations can be found:

• celluloid pens in at least three variations with a mix of length of ink window, nib design, feed, imprints, size of threads (late 40-50s)

• transitional model; single barrel construction without section rim, blue in window, two-tone nib from the celluloid model (60s)

• first generation of the regular (catalogued) resin model with straight section rim, grey ink window, single barrel construction, 14C/18C single tone nibs, ebonite feeds (70s-early 80s)

• second generation with angled section rim grey ink window, two piece barrel construction, 14K/18K single tone nibs, ebonite & plastic feeds (80s-early 90s)

• first generation of the modern 146 with striped ink window, 14K/18K two-tone nibs, plastic feeds (80s-early 90s)

• second generation of the modern 146; longer barrel with striped ink window, 14K/18K two-tone nibs, plastic feeds (90s-10s)

• third (and current) generation with striped ink window, single-piece barrel construction, 14K/18K two-tone nibs, plastic feeds (10s-)

Many other minor changes can be found within the main versions like the shape of the clip, construction of the piston filler, imprints on clips, cap bands and nibs, feeds, ...

Hopefully I will have those documented one day and maybe I can find some other variations one day :-)

Would anybody know if the transitional version with the blue (not grey) ink window also came with a friction fit filler unit? Both of my pens already have the screw-in filler unit of more recent models.

Cheers

Michael

Thank you for sharing your invaluable info! As a newbie to MB, I've been struggling in identifying an MB 146 which is I love most.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all your work. Since it goes to 2018, can you tell me about any changes in 2019. I just bought a LeGrand and on the center band, instead of reading "Meisterstuck Pix," it reads Montblanc - Meisterstuck. Is this new for 2019?

• 1 month later...

Ahoi-hoi,

had some months off from the fountain-pen hobby, still not as joyful as it should feel, but I'm back.

And as I was about to sell some of my 90s 146 before Christmas, I thought this document could get some update:

updated:

size for version from the 50s - thanks to siamackz
added burgundy, but unfortunately not dates for this yet
collar variations during 80s (but with a big question mark on the exact timing) - thanks to Boltonator and Michael R.
Hope you enjoy it. And a big thank you to jamesgibby for pinning this topic. That's quite an honour!

To keep this going:

Cheers

Michael

OMG, Michael ...
Your obsession for details and the transition-periods (periodS (!)) is killing me. :) And the pictures ... :o

Thanks so much for all your work. Since it goes to 2018, can you tell me about any changes in 2019. I just bought a LeGrand and on the center band, instead of reading "Meisterstuck Pix," it reads Montblanc - Meisterstuck. Is this new for 2019?

I'll check that in Hamburg in person next week. Again a change - Dear Montblanc, my mental health is just a sick game to you, isn't it?! :lol:

As for the earlier monotone 14c vs. later monotone 14k (70s vs 80s), was there any difference in the nibs? Were the earlier "softer"?

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

• 2 months later...

Hi !

yes it seems to be new that there is no more Meisterstück Pix at the Center band.

your new 146 from 2019:

what nib do you have ? 14K written or not ?

whats at the back side of the clip ? Made in Germany ?

at the Clip only Serialnumber at the middle ?

kind regards

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Can confirm, i purchased mine in the later half of 2019.

Montblanc - meisterstuck

Serial number is at the top of the clip on the opposite side of the clip.

Made in germany under the clip.

• 2 months later...

The chart mentions 14C/14K nibs but no 18K nibs. From what I've read these 18K nibs would have been made for the French market. Would I be correct in this?

I have a MB146 that seems to be a transitional model. It has:

- 18K two tone nib

- split ebonite feed

- solid gray inkwindow

- brass piston

- W. Germany on one side of the clip and a serial number on the other

So maybe a 1990-1991 transitional for the French market?

Edited by carlos.q

• 4 weeks later...

The chart in this topic is amazing, but I am still left in the dark about my recently arrived 146. It has:

- a monotone 14k nib

- a transparant ink window (could this be 'grey'? Definitely not blue.)

- Meisterstück 146 on the cap band

- GERMANY on the clip band - and not W-Germany

I thought this might be late 70s, early 80s, but surely Montblanc wasn't anticipating the fall of the Berlin Wall? I have a 149 with W-Germany from the early 1990s so it would make a nice pair in this respect.

Any advice?

<p>Hors d'oeuvres must be obeyed at all times.</p>