Jinhao 51A, Another New ( Or Is It Renewed ) C/c Filling Hooded Nib

Mech-for-i

Guess what, we have Wing Sung 613, Hero just got us 616 plus, and Jinhao obviously not wanting to be left behind I guess .... we have da da da .... Jinhao 51A ( courtesy of my window shopping around for summer hiking supply, somehow end up showing me this ... ) .. look like there is 3 solid color version ( black, burgundy and blue ), 5 Demo version and 2 wooden barrel ( with metal section / converter coupling ) finishes.

TB2bEPpAb1YBuNjSszeXXablFXa_!!2733361870

Edited by Mech-for-i

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• truthpil

• penzel_washinkton

• Mongoosey

I can't read the text, but does it say something about the Parker 51?

(I see "51" and 1939.)

It said " Homage to Parker 51 ", and the small text basically state when P51 was introduced and that its widely considered the best pen

Edited by Mech-for-i

And yet another Parker 51 inspired pen, the design has been the hot stuff for Chinese fountain pen lately haven't they?

Has the release of the 51 copies been this many previously in the short span of let's say 1-2 years? Just out of curiosity asking here

I don't know how many models there were, but Hero and Wing Sung made their 51 copies since the 1950's.

Recently Chinese fountain pen industry has somewhat of a renaissance, hence many new interesting releases. And since 51 copies were manufactured in China for a very long time now it's only natural they reach for classic, proven designs.

Edited by WJM

Those wooden ones...

(edit)

Thanks for this post! Just ordered 2 of them

Edited by Proto

well its not the last 2 or 3 years, Hero and others had been keeping on releasing these hooded nib since way way way back ( as in the 1950's ) there were always new models addition routinely added and even during the down period of the late 90's / early Y2K, of course as others had put it, some fresh ideas since had prop up like utilization of C/C filling even for main stream economy models like the 616 ( C/C filling in such hooded nib is nothing new and had been around since the late 80s but usually on more up market models ). The more recent development is just that the Mfr had taken vintage models and updating them , as sown in the 616 plus.

Just like many other new model fountain pens, the Mfr end up providing them as OEM basis and thus you would see such as this, a close examination of the photo show that this is likely the Hero 616 plus in a re branded / slightly altered OEM variant.

Edited by Mech-for-i

I had to pick up one of the wooden ones too. They look very classy. As I start to collect more and more of these hooded pens, I'm curious about interchanging the parts.

Gotta give points to Jinhao for trying to come up with an original desin here, instead of straight off copying the Parker 51 like Hero and Wing Sung do.

I don't really like this design but still... well, the wooden ones are nice but I don't care much for the clip...

The design of the see-through versions, seems to me, an improvement over the original in at least two ways:

1. The filling system is not dependant on an inkwell (or crafty tricks with syringes and bits of plastic hoses put on the up-side-turned pen, and such)

2. The ink level is visible at all times, reducing the need for carrying several pens around, to avoid unforseen ink-draught (so frustrating).

Getting myself a couple of these beauties would save me the trouble (or enjoyment) of taking to injection moulding my own see-through barrels for a few of my, until now,"best pens in the world" I will consider them hence the "second best", (but of course love them still as much).

Gotta give points to Jinhao for trying to come up with an original desin here, instead of straight off copying the Parker 51 like Hero and Wing Sung do.

I don't really like this design but still... well, the wooden ones are nice but I don't care much for the clip...

original design .... ????

am I seeing something .. those had all been done before , and I mean on a hooded nib, the demo body, the ball clip, even the wooden barrel and metal coupling ... and on Chinese made hooded nib fountain pen in fact ... all these dated way back to the 70's and 80's , I guess like all thing retro, something old can be something new again ... lol

Edited by Mech-for-i

Forgive my ignorance! My fantasies about kitchen moulding see-through 51-barrels came because I weren't aware of see-through pens with hooded nibs already existing. Which were they? I'm obviously "just dipped", and not yet very knowledgeable.

well its not the last 2 or 3 years, Hero and others had been keeping on releasing these hooded nib since way way way back ( as in the 1950's ) there were always new models addition routinely added and even during the down period of the late 90's / early Y2K, of course as others had put it, some fresh ideas since had prop up like utilization of C/C filling even for main stream economy models like the 616 ( C/C filling in such hooded nib is nothing new and had been around since the late 80s but usually on more up market models ). The more recent development is just that the Mfr had taken vintage models and updating them , as sown in the 616 plus.

Just like many other new model fountain pens, the Mfr end up providing them as OEM basis and thus you would see such as this, a close examination of the photo show that this is likely the Hero 616 plus in a re branded / slightly altered OEM variant.

I don't know how many models there were, but Hero and Wing Sung made their 51 copies since the 1950's.

Recently Chinese fountain pen industry has somewhat of a renaissance, hence many new interesting releases. And since 51 copies were manufactured in China for a very long time now it's only natural they reach for classic, proven designs.

Thanks for the info guys, I did not know previously that this particular model has been recycled for many years already.

And yet here is another must have for me that is . :)

I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

And yet here is another must have for me that is . :)

Resistance is futile .......

It said " Homage to Parker 51 ", and the small text basically state when P51 was introduced and that its widely considered the best pen

Good to know.