Homage To Homer Thread

Kalessin

The first batch of Homer already sold out here in the MB boutique. I am now focusing on 149 nib pens, since there are not skeleton pens that interest me, I decide to order another Homer for OB nib. The Greek blue Homer ink is also very well. :)

I am glad. I ordered 2 regular edition pens as well :-) one is not enough .. and this will sell fast.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• mjchuang9

• Michael R.

• blottingpaperforlife

~ mjchuang9:

Thank you very much for the helpful image of the pen in your hand.

Your comment is very interesting to know.

I love the perspective on the photograph!

I'm so glad that you're enjoying your new pen.

Tom K.

Thank you Tom for your kind words. I always enjoy your essays and photos, I have not been so excited for WE such a long time.

Ah, but shift your fingers back so that your forefinger and adjacent are on the silver band. NOW how does it handle?

If Ghost Plane says yes to Homer , Ill buy one without guilty or tormenting myself 🙂Tom K. please convince her to purchase one. 🙂

I am glad. I ordered 2 regular edition pens as well :-) one is not enough .. and this will sell fast.

That is true there are so many preorders so when the Homer came to the boutique , they all sold out quickly . The first impression of the photo will make someones feel it is hard to hold , in fact the Homer sits in my hand quite stable . By the way, what nibs do you choose ?

Edited by mjchuang9

If Ghost Plane says yes to Homer , Ill buy one without guilty or tormenting myself Tom K. please convince her to purchase one.

Even if I loved it, which I don’t, my health care providers have control of this year’s funds. Hitch your hopes to another wagon, bpfl.

That is true there are so many preorders so when the Homer came to the boutique , they all sold out quickly . The first impression of the photo will make someones feel it is hard to hold , in fact the Homer sits in my hand quite stable . By the way, what nibs do you choose ?

OB & OBB

As it’s a #9 nib will they offer OBBB?

I was told yes.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I just went to my local boutique. They had a "demo set" I could look at and handle. I think the resin. black model is very interesting as it is quite sculptural. The matte finish works for the pen. I think there may be a bit too much metal on the piston cone, but the overally look is much more interesting int he hand than has been captured in any photos I ahve seeen so far. My main concern was around the threads and the slanted step at the section. This is right where I want to hold the pen and it may become an issue. Still, with limited hand time it was not annoying. I also like the cap has threads with a stop that ensure alignment. Thre is almost a little click where you can feel it coming into alignment. One thing I did not like, in terms of quality control, was how the face of the nib did not perfectly align with the top of the design. It is minor but would bother me over time if it could not be remedied.

The conversation around the pen and MB USA's business strategy shift were quite interesting. Please take this with a grain of salt as I do not have enough information to separate what is fact from what is spin. I am merely sharing my understanding of what was said to me. Apaprently the first two planned shipments of the pens to my local boutique are all spoken for. MB is focusing their efforts on creating a sell out to ensure there is no product left floating aroud for years like the earlier WE pens. They are trying to find the spot where demand exceeds supply by a fair bit. I was being told I could put a deposit down for a FP and they would try to get one for me, but no gaurantees. (Now that almost made me laugh as I am sure it would not be hard to get this pen as of today, but I could actually see MB restricting the flow of pens to boutiques to create artificial scarcity in the store and drive up percieved interest.) I was also given the frustrating news that the boutique was told not to sell the Homer ink without the pen. (What rubbish if that is the actual policy. They just drive sales to other outlets.)

So it looks like they are reducing the number of pens from previous years (relatively speaking), creating artifical scarcity and making a concerted effort to drive sales to the boutique. For example, the pen is on the website but not available for purchase. Not surprising at the end of the day, but a little frustrating for those of us who are more casual users looking to pick up occasional pieces.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Sounds like they’re determined not to sell in the US? Boutiques are as obsolete as Toys R Us.

I just went to my local boutique. They had a "demo set" I could look at and handle. I think the resin. black model is very interesting as it is quite sculptural. The matte finish works for the pen. I think there may be a bit too much metal on the piston cone, but the overally look is much more interesting int he hand than has been captured in any photos I ahve seeen so far. My main concern was around the threads and the slanted step at the section. This is right where I want to hold the pen and it may become an issue. Still, with limited hand time it was not annoying. I also like the cap has threads with a stop that ensure alignment. Thre is almost a little click where you can feel it coming into alignment. One thing I did not like, in terms of quality control, was how the face of the nib did not perfectly align with the top of the design. It is minor but would bother me over time if it could not be remedied.

The conversation around the pen and MB USA's business strategy shift were quite interesting. Please take this with a grain of salt as I do not have enough information to separate what is fact from what is spin. I am merely sharing my understanding of what was said to me. Apaprently the first two planned shipments of the pens to my local boutique are all spoken for. MB is focusing their efforts on creating a sell out to ensure there is no product left floating aroud for years like the earlier WE pens. They are trying to find the spot where demand exceeds supply by a fair bit. I was being told I could put a deposit down for a FP and they would try to get one for me, but no gaurantees. (Now that almost made me laugh as I am sure it would not be hard to get this pen as of today, but I could actually see MB restricting the flow of pens to boutiques to create artificial scarcity in the store and drive up percieved interest.) I was also given the frustrating news that the boutique was told not to sell the Homer ink without the pen. (What rubbish if that is the actual policy. They just drive sales to other outlets.)

So it looks like they are reducing the number of pens from previous years (relatively speaking), creating artifical scarcity and making a concerted effort to drive sales to the boutique. For example, the pen is on the website but not available for purchase. Not surprising at the end of the day, but a little frustrating for those of us who are more casual users looking to pick up occasional pieces.

Well, for those prices, they have to perform some sort of wizardry.....

I think the date of release is earlier this year for WE. The first batch is of course just a few and the boutique is willing to sell the new products first for the customers that have bought or so called VIP. What you said artificial scarcity or hungry marketing could be possible ,I notice MB produce many different pens than before, however they reduce the quality of production of WE. It is possible that MB learn from Panerai or even Patek Philippe for the hungry marketing , in general watches are more expensive than pens , but this is not a news for the selling strategy . At least it is not possible for me to urge to buy the pen. I just want to say the sculptural form of the Homer is not an issue for me, on the contrary, I feel comfortable and appreciate the art form. There are many more pens make me feel uncomfortable when holding them. It did happen that some customers just bought a lot of the limited inks without the pens. It was hard to buy the limited inks for a period of time here, so the boutique decided not to sell to those who just wanted inks. I think if the products or pens are not good enough, the hungry marketing will become a joke .

Edited by mjchuang9

Pens like the Christie, Kafka, Proust, Verne, and Fitzgerald were good pens in big editions. There was no need to push artificially (and crudely).

Apparently the decision not to allow Patrons of the Boutique to purchase the Homer Limited Edition bottle ink, without purchase of the pen, must not have reached the online MB USA shop. I just added a bottle of ink to my cart & promptly emptied it. Perhaps the online shop is allowed to sell the ink, since they have no pens available to sell?

The more pictures I see the more I like this one (mainly the size and the matte black). Unfortunately I just ordered a heritage 1912, put in two nib replacements and (unrelatedly) picked up an m1000 so I just have to hope there are a few left when Im allowed to come up for air!

Judging from the thoughts that Montblanc is trying to go for the marketing of this is so rare you have to hope you get lucky enough to be allowed to pay for one and them really trying to shift the demand and supply curve, I may just miss out on this one. But congrats to all those who got and are able to get this, it looks like it will be a great one!

Boutiques are as obsolete as Toys R Us.

Word.

I would add .. so are the box and papers that accompany each pen. Pens must be registered with Hamburg and that should be enough. No BS box and papers ..

Edited by nishant

Here I share mine. I love the design. Especially if you look at the side with the cap on, you will see a complete side view of the horse. I tried to take photo of it but couldn't make it obvious. the weight was quite nice but I felt it is a bit back heavy. Maybe I have smaller hand. I felt tired after 20mins of writing. I usually don't buy oversized pens. I'm still getting use to the weight and girth size.

post-125552-0-30245400-1530584592_thumb.jpg

Edited by sanfong

Sounds like they’re determined not to sell in the US? Boutiques are as obsolete as Toys R Us.

Perhaps in the US (I dont know, but I accept your view), but in Europe, all the luxury retails are going down the Boutique route to exert more control over their product. Just look at watches e.g. Rolex and Omega.