Vintage Pens With Their Nibs, And A Brief Writing Sample

Here are two American icons. One is a pen (a Waterman's 52) and the other is a phrase. Both are valuable and, sadly, both are rare these days.

Hear, hear!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cunim

• SchaumburgSwan

• christof

• fountainpen51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Here's a metal Wahl, unusual in that it is silver filled. Most of that has worn away, leaving what appears to be a gold filled surface over most of the barrel and brass where both the silver and the gold filling have worn away. The mix of silver, gold and brass - with a small dent here and there - makes the pen look a bit scruffy. However, it writes well, with a fine line unflexed, good tipping, decent snap, good flow, and and easy flex. Ink is Waterman's absolute brown.

fpn_1545276968__wahlsf.jpg

fpn_1545277055__wahlsf-3.jpg

So lovely! :wub: Great picture of my all time favorite pen, that ink is lovely too. Still in need to get more into those vintage Pelikan obliques, the only one I have is a 14k OF "Script" nib currently housed in a black 500NN (my desk pen that I keep always ready in a bakelite Pelikan pen holder).

• 5 months later...

Lots of nice pics in the photo threads recently. Here's a comparison of two Waterman's 52 pens. The upper is a somewhat scruffy example, equipped with an XXF "Account" nib. Very stiff but a nice smooth writer if you like that sort of thing. Note there is a lot of color variation in the thin lines (Waterman's Serenity Blue). Not sure why that is. The lower pen has a very flexible XF nib that takes a bit of skill because the tines can catch.

fpn_1561145216__252s.jpg

SchaumburgSwan

Lots of nice pics in the photo threads recently. Here's a comparison of two Waterman's 52 pens. The upper is a somewhat scruffy example, equipped with an XXF "Account" nib. Very stiff but a nice smooth writer if you like that sort of thing. Note there is a lot of color variation in the thin lines (Waterman's Serenity Blue). Not sure why that is. The lower pen has a very flexible XF nib that takes a bit of skill because the tines can catch.

fpn_1561145216__252s.jpg

Hi,

very nice pens, nibs and handwriting. :-)

I would love to write with such a vintage xxf nib (or a Swan needlepoint posting nib).

What line width does it give? I know, that's not easy to say, if a microscope and micrometer are not at hand...

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Jens, line is 0.2 - 0.3, depending on how light your hand is. Great pen for equations, not that I write equations.

fp51, I like that olive ripple 94. My twin to that (see post #45) feels like a dip pen nib, which is about the highest praise I can give a fountain pen..

Croma and everyone else thanks for posting. I really enjoy looking at these pictures.

fountainpen51

fpn_1561299959__20190623_152559.jpg

fpn_1561300010__20190623_151935.jpg

fpn_1561300055__20190623_151957.jpg

Cunim, over here I have another twin of 55 who has recently arrived at my hands. Soon I will upload photos.

I do not know why the photos I upload are so big.

SchaumburgSwan

Jens, line is 0.2 - 0.3, depending on how light your hand is. Great pen for equations, not that I write equations.

fp51, I like that olive ripple 94. My twin to that (see post #45) feels like a dip pen nib, which is about the highest praise I can give a fountain pen..

Croma and everyone else thanks for posting. I really enjoy looking at these pictures.

Thank You, Cunim.

0.2mm is great, less would be too fine for me...

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

This delicate little Doric pushes my buttons. I like adjustable nibs, needle points, and lots'o'flex. The text? I'm hoping someone can give us a punchline.

fpn_1561753484__doricadj.jpg

fountainpen51

I´m agree!

Hi,

great! For my taste one of the nicest MBs ever! :-)

Gratulations

Jens

Edited by fountainpen51

FP51, what is that handwriting style? Many of the posters in this thread have a lovely and relaxed cursive. It does a good job of showing how these pens would have been used in the day. In contrast, my script is either (crude) copperplate or chicken scratch cursive. Sigh. I suppose I should try to learn. So lazy.

I have to remember poting here when I go back home. This is one of the most beautiful threads I've come along.

fountainpen51

FP51, what is that handwriting style? Many of the posters in this thread have a lovely and relaxed cursive. It does a good job of showing how these pens would have been used in the day. In contrast, my script is either (crude) copperplate or chicken scratch cursive. Sigh. I suppose I should try to learn. So lazy.

I practiced a little cursive time, and from there it derived in that "own style". a kind of mixture.

• 2 months later...