Vintage Pens With Their Nibs, And A Brief Writing Sample

cunim

On 4/3/2020 at 3:43 AM, cunim said:

Here we have three long-tined ripple aristocrats. They are all good flex pens, but they write very differently. The olive 94 is my favorite. Its hairlines are super fine, and it responds very quickly to both pressure and release of pressure. Although it can't spread very wide (XXF - 1.3 mm), the 94 nib gives the Zebra G a run for its money.

The pink nib in the #7 is good, and I guess is a collector's item. I enjoy it, but it is not my first choice for writing. XF tip, good snap, moderate spread (to 1.4 mm) but the hairlines are not as refined as with the best vintage nibs. If you look at the text, this nib is just a bit slower than the others.

The 52 is the softest of these and manages to keep its spring back pretty well. Needs a light hand but a rewarding pen to use.

Finally, the text sample shows a Zebra G in a Flexible Nib Factory housing/Edison Menlo pen. Got to say it blows away the vintage nibs as a calligraphy tool, but that's not the point here.

Ink is Waterman's (Zebra is Iro Shin Kai). Check out the shading in the blue sample.

fpn_1585880432__text.jpg

fpn_1585880524__pens.jpg

fpn_1585935917__nibs2.jpg

WOW THESE GUYS ARE DEDLY.

They will ruin your life! they will blackmail you to brake a bank. They will lead you to your divorce by bankrupting  your finance .They will separate from  your whole family.

They will force you to live with one Kidney??  😮

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cunim

• SchaumburgSwan

• christof

• fountainpen51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Chicago pen"

This pen is a huge pen but very light. It has a italic type nib great for cursive writing.

This is quick writing sample I did with it.

IMG_0026.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A little while ago, I showed a Wahl Oxford as an example of a simple, low value pen that I am quite fond of.  That pen has charms in the holding and in the writing, charms that rise above its humble origins.  Today, continuing on this topic of humbleness, I offer you a pen that has very little to recommend it.  Not charming.

This Waterman's 3V is made of thin plastic.  The barrel seems as if it would crush if any pressure were applied, and the material has a nasty feel, sort of like a panel switch in a 1974 Ford Pinto (I'm old enough to remember those). The nib is a replacement, one of the generic "Warranted" nibs often used when the owner did not want to pay for a Waterman part.  The good thing about these Warranted nibs is that they are made of thin gold alloy and so they tend to flex.  However, they usually lack the springiness and precise feel of a really good vintage nib.  This one can be made to generate decent line variation, partly because it will open up the tines and partly because it is somewhat stubbish (0.7 vertical x 0.4 horizontal).  While you can do flex writing with this pen, it isn't fun so I don't bother.

The ink is Ancient Copper and the paper is Rhodia.  I wasn't going to break out the TR for this one.

W3V-3.jpg

W3V-2.jpg

5 hours ago, 149OBB said:

Sheaffer balance

Anlnp.jpg

Nice demonstration that flex is not required to use a vintage nib elegantly.

Yes Sir this nib is very hard/firm but she slide on the paper like à Swan on the water .

But i am not very easy  with her i prefer à softer or more flex one .

Il s my first Sheaffer fp and i have yet  to learn

time does not respect what is done without it

• 3 months later...
On 4/3/2020 at 3:43 AM, cunim said:

Here we have three long-tined ripple aristocrats. They are all good flex pens, but they write very differently. The olive 94 is my favorite. Its hairlines are super fine, and it responds very quickly to both pressure and release of pressure. Although it can't spread very wide (XXF - 1.3 mm), the 94 nib gives the Zebra G a run for its money.

The pink nib in the #7 is good, and I guess is a collector's item. I enjoy it, but it is not my first choice for writing. XF tip, good snap, moderate spread (to 1.4 mm) but the hairlines are not as refined as with the best vintage nibs. If you look at the text, this nib is just a bit slower than the others.

The 52 is the softest of these and manages to keep its spring back pretty well. Needs a light hand but a rewarding pen to use.

Finally, the text sample shows a Zebra G in a Flexible Nib Factory housing/Edison Menlo pen. Got to say it blows away the vintage nibs as a calligraphy tool, but that's not the point here.

Ink is Waterman's (Zebra is Iro Shin Kai). Check out the shading in the blue sample.

fpn_1585880432__text.jpg

fpn_1585880524__pens.jpg

fpn_1585935917__nibs2.jpg

This is an Amazing  photo . Of course they are the GRAND MASTER TOOLS OF WRITING.

• 10 months later...
On 6/10/2020 at 7:59 PM, cunim said:

Christof, superbe. I've never tried a flexy stub but now I can imagine it.

Waterman flex stubs are some of the best!

• 9 months later...

I haven't held a calligraphic pen in more than a year, so apologies for the miserable text quality.  However, I thought I would try to resurrect this thread.

Here we have two very similar Watermans.  On the right is a #55 with a flexible but not notable nib.  You can see in the last phrase of the poem, that this nib lays down a fatter line and is slower to alter it's thickness as I change the pressure.  On the left we have a #7 with a pink nib.  This pen was used for most of the text.  Although this is not the most responsive nib, it is quite good - laying down a fairly thin unflexed line and moving from thin to thick and back again with some alacrity.

try1.thumb.jpg.cbaa71f8c33dc20cee8ba8d2a4c69ff5.jpg

try2.thumb.jpg.3322dc0bc0c616c7f17f91181033abd6.jpg

This is a lovely  pen and as it is ideal  in a skilled hand as it does in yours. Your writing / lettering is perfect. this is one of my dream nibs. I just once missed this similar pen with the same pink nib. But I'll have it one day. I already have a No 5 pen with a red nib . It is a medium flex nib and it writes well. But the  "PINK IS PINK" Lovely share @cunim!! Thank you.

• 8 months later...

I have shot this little Wahl with this proverb before, but it just seems so apt to the politics of today.

image.thumb.jpeg.b1b0f9a4a383006f4ecc52637a962c4c.jpeg

• 3 months later...