Vintage Pens With Their Nibs, And A Brief Writing Sample

cunim

A little bit of the Heavy metal representing. We can't let Hard Rubber and Celluloid hog the entire scene ;) .

Waterman 552 1/2V 14k, and a Skyline Command Performance Gold filled over Sterling. Please don't blame the pens for my poor penmanship... they can do much more in a better writer's hand.

PIctures: Both pens,

Waterman Nib

Skyline Nib.

fpn_1569774653__heavy_metal_representing

fpn_1569774730__nib_552_one_half_v.jpg

fpn_1569774785__zoom_nib_wonderful.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cunim

• SchaumburgSwan

• christof

• fountainpen51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I miss this thread. Time to poke it.

Sadly, I have only one Mabie Todd pen, this little Blackbird. The ink is Waterman Intense Black. The Blackbird does flex easily, but sort of sighs as it does it. "Really, you want me to do the splits at my age?" A bit of a British matron this pen.

fpn_1579564981__blackbird.jpg

fpn_1579565042__blackbird-2.jpg

Edited by cunim

I miss this thread. Time to poke it.

Sadly, I have only one Mabie Todd pen, this little Blackbird. The ink is Waterman Intense Black. The Blackbird does flex easily, but sort of sighs as it does it. "Really, you want me to do the splits at my age?" A bit of a British matron this pen.

Hi Cunim,

it is a great threat indeed. Thanks for reviving it. :-)

Pen and writing look fine, the flex isn't too wet.

I had a noisy flex nib caused by a misrotation of one of the tines...

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Jens, I got this little bird from Parkette, who sent it over with its original box and even its price sticker. It is in fine shape, but it's a Blackbird - not an eagle (or a Swan) - so expectations are not too high. I am hoping to try some other MT pens at a pen show some time, just to get a better feel for the MT nib family.

I think what makes this thread special is that it is not about showing what pens you have. It is about showing what the pens you have can do. That is much more interesting and I hope it continues.

Jens, I got this little bird from Parkette, who sent it over with its original box and even its price sticker. It is in fine shape, but it's a Blackbird - not an eagle (or a Swan) - so expectations are not too high. I am hoping to try some other MT pens at a pen show some time, just to get a better feel for the MT nib family.

I think what makes this thread special is that it is not about showing what pens you have. It is about showing what the pens you have can do. That is much more interesting and I hope it continues.

Dear Cunim,

sure, Blackbirds were sold for less money then Swans, but they are very good pens.

My BB2/60 is as good as one my Swan SM 205/60, same design, both well made, both great nibs. I even like the BB M stub better then my Swan M stub. BB's have usually a bit less material on their nibs and not that opulent decorations on their pens... on the other side some stunning celluloids were only offered as BB's.

Anyway, the MT nib family is really, really huge, for any taste there are many variants... :-)

Much fun at the pen show. Those british gems are worth a look, not only Swan and Onoto, but also Wyvern or Cameron...

Yours

Jens

Edited by SchaumburgSwan

.....................................................................................................

Today's topic is a political commentary.

This Doric is growing on me. The nib varies from wet noodle at one adjustment extreme, to semi-flex at the other. Typically, I have it set one notch stiffer than minimum, as it is in the picture. At that setting, the nib flexes very easily and can catch because it is so fine. Takes a light hand and some care but is rewarding to use because, as soft as it is, it has plenty of snap back. Ink is Waterman Absolute Brown.

fpn_1579650654__doric3-2.jpg

fpn_1579650957__doric3.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just purchased this little Doric Gold Seal from an FPN member, The pen is a bit of a mystery, as I have not seen any of the high end Dorics in this small size (just over 4.5" capped). Then there is the #7 adjustable nib. I suspect that is a later replacement. If anyone has more information I would love to hear it.

At any rate, it writes well and I am fond of these nibs. Ink is Waterman's Absolute Brown.

fpn_1583978783__tinydoric.jpg

fpn_1583981943__tinydoric-4.jpg

Edited by cunim

• 2 weeks later...

The European pens on this thread are interesting and I would like to add a few to my little collection of flex pens. Are there any recommendations for makes and models that have the best flex nibs? Best = XF unflexed (max 0.3 mm), flex to at least 1.4 mm, strong snap back, sufficient flow. I have heard that the vintage Omas nibs can be superb?

Edited by cunim

The European pens on this thread are interesting and I would like to add a few to my little collection of flex pens. Are there any recommendations for makes and models that have the best flex nibs? Best = XF unflexed (max 0.3 mm), flex to at least 1.4 mm, strong snap back, sufficient flow. I have heard that the vintage Omas nibs can be superb?

Mabie Todd Swan!

Many great flex nibs, pens for every taste.

The quality was at a very high level from pre WWI to the early 1950s.

But MT engraved no nib characteristics onto the pens or nibs, just the size - you have to trust the sellers describtion or guess the nib from poor photos...

I have Swan nibs writing like a german OF or modern Lamy M, semiflex xxf with needlepoint doublepoint, waverly / tuned up nibs.

0.3 mm can be found, below 0.25 with much flex is harder to find, wet noodle xf is seldom.

Best wishes

Jens

Edited by SchaumburgSwan

The European pens on this thread are interesting and I would like to add a few to my little collection of flex pens.  Are there any recommendations for makes and models that have the best flex nibs?  Best = XF unflexed (max 0.3 mm), flex to at least 1.4 mm, strong snap back, sufficient flow.  I have heard that the vintage Omas nibs can be superb?

Swan and OMAS, definitely yes!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/337206-vintage-pens-with-their-nibs-and-a-brief-writing-sample/?p=4072731

c.

Are there dip pen nibs that are medium or broad and described as smooth writing with good flow?

Lots!

Depends what sort of writing you are trying to get.

For a nice easy flow Roundhand nib look at William Mitchell nibs.

For pointed pen you can look at Brause, Zebra, Gillott among others.

For a nice easy flow Roundhand nib look at William Mitchell nibs.

For pointed pen you can look at Brause, Zebra, Gillott among others.

Thanks!

Yes, I saw that and the very nice Swan postings by Jens.

I had a modern (1980) OMAS Burkina Paragon with a fine extra-flessible nib. Beautiful cellulod but rubbish to write with - as is the case with all modern flex pens I have tried. Wait, my Regalia Crossflex beats any of my vintage but that's the only modern nib I am really fond of. Clearly, vintage Italian (and maybe British) nibs like the ones I see on this thread are what I will look for.

Are there dip pen nibs that are medium or broad and described as smooth writing with good flow?

fpn_1584809464__thumbnail.jpg

Nice demonstration, Stompe. Here's one I did for another thread. Just to keep on topic I'll repost an earlier pic of the #3 adjustable nib shown in the comparison.

fpn_1537922309__compare_1_of_1.jpg

fpn_1579650957__doric3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is an amazing thread,

I am inspired and tempted to dust off my old pens. I'will write some thing soon to post here. :yikes:

Here we have three long-tined ripple aristocrats. They are all good flex pens, but they write very differently. The olive 94 is my favorite. Its hairlines are super fine, and it responds very quickly to both pressure and release of pressure. Although it can't spread very wide (XXF - 1.3 mm), the 94 nib gives the Zebra G a run for its money.

The pink nib in the #7 is good, and I guess is a collector's item. I enjoy it, but it is not my first choice for writing. XF tip, good snap, moderate spread (to 1.4 mm) but the hairlines are not as refined as with the best vintage nibs. If you look at the text, this nib is just a bit slower than the others.

The 52 is the softest of these and manages to keep its spring back pretty well. Needs a light hand but a rewarding pen to use.

Finally, the text sample shows a Zebra G in a Flexible Nib Factory housing/Edison Menlo pen. Got to say it blows away the vintage nibs as a calligraphy tool, but that's not the point here.

Ink is Waterman's (Zebra is Iro Shin Kai). Check out the shading in the blue sample.

fpn_1585880432__text.jpg

fpn_1585880524__pens.jpg

fpn_1585935917__nibs2.jpg

Edited by cunim