Diplomat Pen - 90S/80S?

AidenMark

There isn't an over-abundance of information about Diplomat pens on the forum and I haven't been able to identify this understated guy.

post-140354-0-08944200-1529151737.png

I bought him for 18E on the small ads. It's the first Diplomat I have owned and I can report that it is a shockingly fine pen for 5 times that price. It has little sign of age, writes very well and gives the impression of being very solid in construction. I would compare it to a middle range Waterman of the 80s, but without the rust.

post-140354-0-18943100-1529151717.png

The pen works well with standard/Pelikan cartridges and converters.

The body is a grey and black granite enamel or plastic coat over brass. The cap is brass and the clip is GP steel, stamped 'Germany'. The body finial is convex gold plated brass and the cap finial has a gold ink on brass legend 'Diplomat Germany'. In the centre is a three-line logo, which is also present in the clip.

post-140354-0-96639100-1529151747.png

I had always associated a Maltese cross logo with Diplomat but it is nowhere to be found on the pen.

post-140354-0-92798000-1529151694.png

The nib is gold plated steel, some of the gold has worn off. The nib has no breather hole but has the same three line logo and is marked 'Diplomat B'. It's one of those super smooth, who needs gold, steel nibs. A great writer.

Can anyone identify which model it is, or tell me more about it?

Edited by AidenMark

Less is More - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AidenMark

• Bo Bo Olson

• senzen

• Time-Traveller

I have the same pen in green, and I believe it's a Diplomat Triomphe. I totally agree with you - it's a great pen, very solid feeling and a wonderful writer.

Debbie

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

I would compare it to a middle range Waterman of the 80s, but without the rust.

Or high end Waterman for that matter :lticaptd:

That looks like a decent pen, how wide is the section?

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• 3 weeks later...

I would compare it to a middle range Waterman of the 80s, but without the rust.

Or high end Waterman for that matter :lticaptd:

That looks like a decent pen, how wide is the section?

Yes, that's a good comparison - it has a mid-range Waterman feel but without the leaks and rust.

Got the callipers out:

Section is 8.2mm - 10.0mm thinnest to widest.

Body 8.4mm at the finial and 10.7mm at the join.

Length 134.5mm

Uncapped 120.0mm

Posted 150.0mm

I bought it a brother, an identical model but in flighter trim - all steel. I'll post a picture when I get the camera charged.

I have the same pen in green, and I believe it's a Diplomat Triomphe. I totally agree with you - it's a great pen, very solid feeling and a wonderful writer.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that model.

The Finial, is at least late '60's more than likely '70's.

I have a Maltese branded Diplomat, that I think is early-mid 50's...Waiting for the Camera to load enough to transfer pictures I just took.PP pictures....is why I try to use other folks pictures.

41rCAfd.jpg?1

1DIYkcn.jpg

Should have edited somewhere other than Imgur.....can't even get it to darken up enough to show the Maltese cross on the clip nor nib.

Did chalk the imprint.....should have chalked the cap ring.

QWJgVRg.jpg

bTEU5e1.jpg

This one, a silver plated, gold plated stirrup, is I WOG '80's....there is one with a tennis racket and tennis player also. Picture I took from the guy who sold me the pen.....is silver not the gold looking it appears.

tgq7mYh.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 8 months later...

I think it's the Diplomat Attaché.

In current use: Cleo Skribent Classic, Waterman Expert, Diplomat Excellence, Pineider Avatar, Sheaffer Targa (the good old Sheaffer, not one Made in China)

• 4 weeks later...

The silverish one with the stirrup is silver plated not silver. Better late than never.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 years later...
On 6/16/2018 at 2:37 PM, AidenMark said:

It's the first Diplomat I have owned and I can report that it is a shockingly fine pen for 5 times that price.

Hi @AidenMark, just in case you never did manage to find out what this model is, I believe it is the XL and probably a 90s or possibly early 2000s version, as it says Germany and not W-Germany, as well as going by the color. I am a few years late to the party, but I just now found this post while scouring the internet for model numbers. I agree with you that they tend to be shockingly fine writers, which is why I recently started collecting them after buying a new Excellence A2 and Optimist last year. I have been trying to find out more info about the various models from the past - I would love to have one of each! - but they seem to be shrouded in quite a bit of mystery! 😀 This is one that I have actually managed to pin down (in as far as that is possible with Diplomats), but I had also never heard of the Triomphe. Ah, well, more research to do... Hope you are still enjoying your beautiful pen!!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.