Eternal Obsession For Burgundy (Life Of Montblanc 144 And More)

jhsd1124013561

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jhsd1124013561

• Tom Kellie

• max dog

• stylographile

If it comes from an authorized dealer, then it is legit and good, first time that I ever saw a burgundy 145 with Special nib, that is nice,

The special nib comes with huge amount of tipping, it is a gaint K nib (the fountain pen industry created a the fountain nib to get the writing effect of a ballpoint pen from the 1950's), you can always save it and can give it to a nib master to grind into a Naginata-Togi nib in the future :P

I believe It has been there for a very long time. They don't have the tester for the S Nib. Maybe because the S Nib is not fast-selling here.

Do you have any experience with S Nib and is it convenient to use for daily writing?

Unfortunately at that time they refused to give me additional discount. 10% max :yikes:

I said: "this 145 has been here for decades", but they told me: "yes, but this is a meisterstuck with a timeless design :wacko: "

Greetings,

Edited by antleo

Was there a deeper shade of Burgundy ever produced?

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I believe It has been there for a very long time. They don't have the tester for the S Nib. Maybe because the S Nib is not fast-selling here.

Do you have any experience with S Nib and is it convenient to use for daily writing?

Unfortunately at that time they refused to give me additional discount. 10% max :yikes:

I said: "this 145 has been here for decades", but they told me: "yes, but this is a meisterstuck with a timeless design :wacko: "

Greetings,

Not a problem, unfortunately, I have not tried the S nib yet.I once had the chance to look at some pictures of the S nib tipping with high resolution, but never had the chance to write.

I was offered a price of 350 USD for a black version before, I eventually went for a 90 years EF MB 145 instead :P

Was there a deeper shade of Burgundy ever produced?

Not to my knowledge, hope someone can share their insight.

• 3 months later...

Do any of you know if the burgundy JFK is meant to be a limited-time-only thing, or will it continue to be sold as long as the blue JFK is? Montblancs website seems to describe them both identically as Special editions but neither of them as limited editions.

If its supposed to be for a limited time only (e.g. only for 2019, etc.) then I will surely pick one up in duty-free next time I fly. But if not, then I might save that money and put it towards getting a different older MB.

Edited by Derwin-Milhous

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that the MB 144 with the slip on cap is fitted with a screw on converter. I am trying to find out when and who introduced this type of converter for the first time. Would anybody know when it was introduced on the MB 144? I suspect in the late 80's along with the brass section bushing. Could someone confirm?

I understand that the MB 144 with the slip on cap is fitted with a screw on converter. I am trying to find out when and who introduced this type of converter for the first time. Would anybody know when it was introduced on the MB 144? I suspect in the late 80's along with the brass section bushing. Could someone confirm?

The MB 144 originally was equipped with old style friction fit converters.

I believe it was the lastet MB 144 model was changed to screw on converters, and so does the MB 145 (the successor of MB 144). My guess is 2000s.

I own a 144 (bought it used last year) that does have a friction fit converter. The pen, though, cannot be from the 80s, not even the 90s, and I do believe it was originally bought about 4-5 years ago. Maybe it was (new) old stock back then, but still ...

• 7 months later...

fpn_1586214234__natural_light.jpg

Montblanc Meisterstück Special Edition 146 Petit Prince and Planet EF

fpn_1586221611__outside_in_daylight.jpg

Outside in Daylight

Thank you Tom Kellie for bringing this thread back to the surface! I must look closely at the photos of the original post to determine which generation my 144 is ! My burgundy 144 fountain pen, with matching ballpoint, snug in their burgundy leather pouch, are my favourites - I carry them with me all the time ! They're both fantastic note-takers in all circumstances! The nib of mine is 18ct gold and it says "Germany" on the cap clip. I need to try and determine now if it is 1st or 2nd gen. Thank you for a great post ! As for the Petit Prince special edition, niiice ...

Edited by stylographile

Great photos, thanks so much for sharing the new burgundy color, Tom, the new series looks amazing and quite tempting :P

I am saving for the "curved nib" launching in Sep, I need to stop looking at the new pens LOL

fpn_1586214234__natural_light.jpg

Montblanc Meisterstück Special Edition 146 Petit Prince and Planet EF

fpn_1586221611__outside_in_daylight.jpg

Outside in Daylight

Thanks for sharing, I did not realize the 18k nibs' existence until now, the 144 series nib are divine, much better than the current production in my opinion.

As for the generation, please check your feed, if it is a plastic feed, then it is the 2nd gen.

Thank you Tom Kellie for bringing this thread back to the surface! I must look closely at the photos of the original post to determine which generation my 144 is ! My burgundy 144 fountain pen, with matching ballpoint, snug in their burgundy leather pouch, are my favourites - I carry them with me all the time ! They're both fantastic note-takers in all circumstances! The nib of mine is 18ct gold and it says "Germany" on the cap clip. I need to try and determine now if it is 1st or 2nd gen. Thank you for a great post ! As for the Petit Prince special edition, niiice ...

I have been using burgundy 144s since 1983 and 1990. I have enjoyed using them.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Hello jhsd, here is the 18 ct nib. The feed detail is different, so are the threads. You can see the converter too.
This 144 belonged to my mother and it was bought in France in the mid 1980s.

Thanks

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1586443326__mbl_144_nib_18_ct.jpg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1586443358__mbl_144_back_nib_and_screw.jpg

(I've never posted pictures here before so I hope you can actually see something!)

Hi there,

The first photo looks like a first gen nib, with black section.

However, the second photo does not looks like to be the same pen, I am a little bit confused...

Hello jhsd, here is the 18 ct nib. The feed detail is different, so are the threads. You can see the converter too.
This 144 belonged to my mother and it was bought in France in the mid 1980s.

Thanks

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1586443326__mbl_144_nib_18_ct.jpg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1586443358__mbl_144_back_nib_and_screw.jpg

(I've never posted pictures here before so I hope you can actually see something!)