Eternal Obsession For Burgundy (Life Of Montblanc 144 And More)

jhsd1124013561

These are nice pens. I love my black W German 144. This is my expensive pen and very glad I bought it. Enjoy this amazing hobby.

peace to all. Edited by RonE

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jhsd1124013561

• Tom Kellie

• max dog

• antleo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jhsd1124013561, I do not why, but I missed this post when you posted it several months ago. Time to remedy...

As a botanist, I have a predilection for "monographs", that kind of studies where an author takes the time to critically examine, compare, revise, ordinate and illustrate all the species of a given group of plants. Monographs are the best source for anyone interested in a group, as they usually "exudate" the familiarity and intimate knowledge that the author developed about his subject during a long period of frequentation and study.

Yours, jhsd1124013561, has all the characters of a monograph. As a good monograph, it is consistent in the descriptions, and in the iconographic apparatus as well. The neutral gray background, the consistency of the illumination, the accurate choice of the details to shown, all represents a conscious choice aimed at facilitating direct comparison for the reader. You prepared a scientific paper on the Montblanc 14X burgundy lineage. Congratulations.

As a typical by-effect of any good monograph, you elicited interest in the reader. I confess that I never was sensible to the call of the 144, but your monograph show this dynasty of pens in a different light, and I really appreciate the subject and your way to treat it as well.

Thank you.

jhsd1124013561, I do not why, but I missed this post when you posted it several months ago. Time to remedy...

As a botanist, I have a predilection for "monographs", that kind of studies where an author takes the time to critically examine, compare, revise, ordinate and illustrate all the species of a given group of plants. Monographs are the best source for anyone interested in a group, as they usually "exudate" the familiarity and intimate knowledge that the author developed about his subject during a long period of frequentation and study.

Yours, jhsd1124013561, has all the characters of a monograph. As a good monograph, it is consistent in the descriptions, and in the iconographic apparatus as well. The neutral gray background, the consistency of the illumination, the accurate choice of the details to shown, all represents a conscious choice aimed at facilitating direct comparison for the reader. You prepared a scientific paper on the Montblanc 14X burgundy lineage. Congratulations.

As a typical by-effect of any good monograph, you elicited interest in the reader. I confess that I never was sensible to the call of the 144, but your monograph show this dynasty of pens in a different light, and I really appreciate the subject and your way to treat it as well.

Thank you.

Thank you so much for the kind words :) I really appreciate it and guess the academic training really helped :P

The Montblanc 144 is a fascinating serie and the nib is just divine, if you could grab one with EF nib, you know what I mean ;)

Also, I would highly recomend another Montblanc serie to you from an older post that I have finished, it is pinned in the Montblanc forum so people may ignore it ->(https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/326283-a-thorough-report-on-montblanc-121422243234-series/)

It is the Montblanc 12/14/22/24/32/34 serie, the nib is as good as (or even better than) the Montblanc 144 serie, it is really a candy from the past, and people can still enjoy ;)

By the way, nice work on the Christmas card, just love it, I recently just purcahsed an Omas vintage paragon 556/F from the 1950's like the one you showed in your post, cannot wait for it.

Kind regards,

These are nice pens. I love my black W German 144. I is my expensive pen and very glad I bought it. Enjoy this amazing hobby.

Thank you, I am really glad you enjoy the 144 and this wonderful hobby, the nib on 144 is just divine :D

Is it possible to get a burgundy 144 with a screw cap? I really like the 144's but I hate the push caps and find they allow the nib to dry out to quickly

Thank you.

........what he said !

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Is it possible to get a burgundy 144 with a screw cap? I really like the 144's but I hate the push caps and find they allow the nib to dry out to quickly

I am afraid that I have not heard a screw on cap version for 144, unless for the celluloid version 144 in the 50s.

Montblanc did come up with 145 with screw on cap, but the nib of 145 is smaller size compared to 144 :S

• 2 months later...

Wow great and very informative thread!

Namiki Yukari Maki-e Zodiac Horse 1st edition, by Masaru Hayashi 林胜 | Namiki Yukari Royale Vermillon Urushi No. 20 | Pelikan M1000 | Montblanc WE 2004 Franz Kafka LE | Montblanc POA 2018 Homage to Ludwig II LE 4810 | Montblanc POA Joseph II 2012 LE 4810 | Montblanc 146 75th Anniversary SE | Montblanc Meisterstück Great Masters James Purdey & Sons SE | Montblanc 118232 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir Spider Metamorphosis SE Coral | Montblanc 10575 Meisterstück Gold 149 | Montblanc 114229 Meisterstück Platinum 149 | Montblanc 111043 John F. Kennedy LE 1917 Rollerball | Montblanc 116258 The Beatles SE Ballpoint | Montblanc 114723 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir SE Rollerball | Montblanc Meisterstück Platinum-Coated Classique Ballpoint |

Hi OP,

Thanks for making this wonderful post. I bought a 144 recently off of eBay and am not sure if it is genuine. It feels very light and the finial with the Montblanc snow peak does not screw off like in a Meisterstuck pencil I own. Is it supposed to screw off? And is there any way you could weigh yours?

Hi OP,

Thanks for making this wonderful post. I bought a 144 recently off of eBay and am not sure if it is genuine. It feels very light and the finial with the Montblanc snow peak does not screw off like in a Meisterstuck pencil I own. Is it supposed to screw off? And is there any way you could weigh yours?

Hi, thanks so much for the nice words, I really appreciate it :D

Unfortunately, I don't have the weight information, but I am pretty sure that the 144 line is pretty light weighted, however, that does not mean that your pen is a fake.

I found this site very helpful (http://captainchang.com/pens/fakes.html), you can use the information compared with mine to check your pens.

Base on my experience, if you pen comes with a 90's converter, there is a pretty good chance it is genuine.

Good luck!

I really wish I had pulled the trigger on a 146R when I first came across one! Love that pen! You have a wonderful collection!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I really wish I had pulled the trigger on a 146R when I first came across one! Love that pen! You have a wonderful collection!

Thank you, Sir :D

The 144 line is equipped with bigger nib than 145, the the nibs are just divine, love it :P

• 4 weeks later...

What a wonderful thread!

This is why FPN is the best pen forum on the net!

Thank you to all who have contributed!

WOW!

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

Hi, I am considering to purchase Meisterstuck 145 Special Nib. Tried this few days ago, and it seems quite rare to find a NOS 145 Burgundy in S-Nib. Any advice for this?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Hi, I am considering to purchase Meisterstuck 145 Special Nib. Tried this few days ago, and it seems quite rare to find a NOS 145 Burgundy in S-Nib. Any advice for this?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Hi there,

For the Montblanc 145 Special Nib, I only saw them come with the black version, unfortunately I never see one comes with burgundy color.

I guess you can get a 145 special nib with black version and swap the nib on a burgundy.

Hope this helps,

Hi, I was offered a NOS Burgundy 145 S Nib from the authorized dealer.

Actually I consider to get this, but I am not into broad nib. The S Nib also "wetter" in my opinion.

Hi, I was offered a NOS Burgundy 145 S Nib from the authorized dealer.

Actually I consider to get this, but I am not into broad nib. The S Nib also "wetter" in my opinion.

If it comes from an authorized dealer, then it is legit and good, first time that I ever saw a burgundy 145 with Special nib, that is nice,

The special nib comes with huge amount of tipping, it is a gaint K nib (the fountain pen industry created a the fountain nib to get the writing effect of a ballpoint pen from the 1950's), you can always save it and can give it to a nib master to grind into a Naginata-Togi nib in the future :P