• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• bemon

• A Smug Dill

• TheDutchGuy

Id love to make it my primary ink, but In Canada this ink is pushing $30 for 20 ml once you factor in tax and shipping. I feel like a chump for buying a bottle and its ruining the experience.

Everyone is entitled to make money, but at this price you just know the Sailor execs are laughing at us. Right?

Id love to make it my primary ink, but In Canada this ink is pushing $30 for 20 ml once you factor in tax and shipping. I feel like a chump for buying a bottle and its ruining the experience.

Everyone is entitled to make money, but at this price you just know the Sailor execs are laughing at us. Right?

Sadly you're right. :(

While Sailor's price increases are cause for concern, I sincerely doubt that Sailor execs are laughing at us. Sailor is producing an incredible number of different inks, each of which is of the highest quality and each of which requires a sizable investment to develop, produce, market, distribute and sell it. And a 20mL bottle may seem small, but lasts a long time. If this is your dream ink, then it'll give you pleasure every day. That's worth something.

Personally, I'm very happy with 'basic' Sailor blue, priced at 15 to 18 euros for 50 mL and I don't see myself re-stocking my two bottles of Yonaga once they're finished.

While Sailor's price increases are cause for concern, I sincerely doubt that Sailor execs are laughing at us. Sailor is producing an incredible number of different inks, each of which is of the highest quality and each of which requires a sizable investment to develop, produce, market, distribute and sell it. And a 20mL bottle may seem small, but lasts a long time. If this is your dream ink, then it'll give you pleasure every day. That's worth something.

Personally, I'm very happy with 'basic' Sailor blue, priced at 15 to 18 euros for 50 mL and I don't see myself re-stocking my two bottles of Yonaga once they're finished.

Well maybe they have enough integrity not to laugh at us, but they know for damned sure that they've gone from getting the better end of of a business deal to all out taking advantage of the customer.

There's more than just business overhead in play here.

Edited by bemon

If that's how they approach it then they'll go out of business, because someone else will produce ink of the same quality, but at a lower price. A company exploits its customers only at its peril. In our case, nothing is stopping us from getting a larger bottle of Herbin for half the price or an even larger bottle of Noodler's which will last a lifetime. Personally, I'll gladly pay for a bottle of basic Sailor blue, I'll gladly pay more for a bottle of their truly extraordinary Kiwaguro black, but I don't see the need to buy the 20 mL bottles anymore. While we're at it, Iroshizuku inks are quite expensive in Europe and nobody's complaining. I'm not buying those, good though they may be.

If that's how they approach it then they'll go out of business, because someone else will produce ink of the same quality, but at a lower price. A company exploits its customers only at its peril. In our case, nothing is stopping us from getting a larger bottle of Herbin for half the price or an even larger bottle of Noodler's which will last a lifetime. Personally, I'll gladly pay for a bottle of basic Sailor blue, I'll gladly pay more for a bottle of their truly extraordinary Kiwaguro black, but I don't see the need to buy the 20 mL bottles anymore. While we're at it, Iroshizuku inks are quite expensive in Europe and nobody's complaining. I'm not buying those, good though they may be.

Time will tell if it effects their sales or not. As for me, if I discover a comparable ink for a better price I'll make the switch without thinking twice. Then again, the fine writing community isn't known for making the most economical choices in the world!

I feel like a chump for buying a bottle and its ruining the experience.

An ink like Sailor Shikiori yonaga can be considered, I think, quite legitimately a luxury. The price of yonaga never actually went up, since it was never available in the round-and-squat 50ml bottles. If that's not the price you feel is proper for inks, then of course it's entirely your prerogative to boycott this ink – or the whole product line – and resign yourself to using something else. I don't see the point of wanting the ink, complaining about the price, then buying a bottle anyway and feel like a chump.

I like shark fin soup and I like abalone, but because of their sky high market prices (as far as non-essential food items go), I never order it if I'm paying for dinner. (If someone invites me to a nine-course banquet and serve them up, that's a different story.) Would there be any point in getting all worked up about it, and either complain about the prices as if they 'should be' lower (Based on what?) or have some sort of internal struggle about liking the taste and wanting to indulge from time to time?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

An ink like Sailor Shikiori yonaga can be considered, I think, quite legitimately a luxury. The price of yonaga never actually went up, since it was never available in the round-and-squat 50ml bottles. If that's not the price you feel is proper for inks, then of course it's entirely your prerogative to boycott this ink – or the whole product line – and resign yourself to using something else. I don't see the point of wanting the ink, complaining about the price, then buying a bottle anyway and feel like a chump.

I like shark fin soup and I like abalone, but because of their sky high market prices (as far as non-essential food items go), I never order it if I'm paying for dinner. (If someone invites me to a nine-course banquet and serve them up, that's a different story.) Would there be any point in getting all worked up about it, and either complain about the prices as if they 'should be' lower (Based on what?) or have some sort of internal struggle about liking the taste and wanting to indulge from time to time?

Sounds like you need an attitude adjustment. Do I get another long winded dressing down?

Sounds like you need an attitude adjustment. Do I get another long winded dressing down?

An adjustment to align with what exactly? I'm already a fellow consumer, fountain pen enthusiast, and FPN forum member, and I express my views in those capacities. Is there some other role or viewpoint you want me to assume?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

An adjustment to align with what exactly? I'm already a fellow consumer, fountain pen enthusiast, and FPN forum member, and I express my views in those capacities. Is there some other role or viewpoint you want me to assume?

It was the tone I perceive bed I didnt appreciate. If you were simply offering a counter point then I aplologize. But it came off as disrespectful. These things are easier face to face!

If you were simply offering a counter point then I aplologize. But it came off as disrespectful.

I suspect you and I have very different ideas of what is respect for one's peer. If there is some equivalent of bowing to one's opponent or sparring partner on the dojo floor (and fellow in the same 'hobby') before endeavouring to prevail in the engagement, I would happily observe that practice before tackling a fellow forum member's post and challenging it to the best of my ability. I felt you posted with a lot of 'passion' behind your assertions in the open, and I tried to mirror that intensity in my counter (even though my style of argument is different), instead of openly dismissing off-hand with a few terse words what you wrote.

if I discover a comparable ink for a better price I'll make the switch without thinking twice.

Be sure to let us know if you do!

Add lightness and simplicate.

... if I discover a comparable ink for a better price I'll make the switch without thinking twice.

Be sure to let us know if you do!

Stipula Dark Blue. Admittedly, the color is closer to Shimoyo but it's 70ml and goes for $15-20. Another advantage of the Stipula is that it stays wet on the nib for a long time when uncapped where the Yonaga dries very fast.

Still, Yonaga's charm is its more obvious blue-ness (while still being blue/black) so the premium price may be justified (I got mine for $17 so I didn't feel too put out).

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I suspect you and I have very different ideas of what is respect for one's peer. If there is some equivalent of bowing to one's opponent or sparring partner on the dojo floor (and fellow in the same 'hobby') before endeavouring to prevail in the engagement, I would happily observe that practice before tackling a fellow forum member's post and challenging it to the best of my ability. I felt you posted with a lot of 'passion' behind your assertions in the open, and I tried to mirror that intensity in my counter (even though my style of argument is different), instead of openly dismissing off-hand with a few terse words what you wrote.

Yeah, I'm definitely a TLDR so let's yell about it" kind of guy. You should drive with me.

One of the things I love about yonaga, though, is the eerie green sheen against the midnight blue colour, even though I'm not really a sheen-chasing kind of fountain pen user. Most other blue inks just exhibit red or purple sheen. Diamine Denim has a brown-black sheen, but it takes a lot of dried ink to bring that out.

You had better luck than I, then; the sheen was very elusive for me. Now, Kana-cho, on the other hand, is a reliable sheen monster.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

One of the things I love about yonaga, though, is the eerie green sheen against the midnight blue colour, even though I'm not really a sheen-chasing kind of fountain pen user. Most other blue inks just exhibit red or purple sheen. Diamine Denim has a brown-black sheen, but it takes a lot of dried ink to bring that out.

I've heard about this, but can't seem to see it. Maybe because I generally use Luectuurm, and it absorbs too much?