Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Turquoise - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

bob_hayden

A good turquoise is a delicate balance in the amount of green in the blue, and of course the lightness of the shade. Among the inks I own (not a huge huge amount) this is my favorite turquoise: Encre Classique Turquoise. It's not very different from Robert Oster Aqua or Diamine Marine, but when I write with it, it really looks like turquoise and not just blue. I don't think of it as the color of water, but as one of the colors of the stone.

fpn_1596081975__turquoise.jpg

Edited by Paul-in-SF

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• ErrantSmudge

• HalloweenHJB

• essayfaire

In your opinion, which of Herbin Diabolo Menthe, Vert Reseda or Bleu Calanque is closer to Lamy Safari Candy Aquamarine color?

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Of those, my immediate reaction would be Vert Réséda (this is  purely by eye, and  without actually colour sampling) followed by Diabolo de Menthe, and rather depending on the nib width - the first is better in fine nibs, the second in broader ones. I think Bleu Calanque is too blue, but I've only seen photographs of the pen in question, not the real thing!

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2021 at 6:48 AM, mizgeorge said:

Of those, my immediate reaction would be Vert Réséda (this is  purely by eye, and  without actually colour sampling) followed by Diabolo de Menthe, and rather depending on the nib width - the first is better in fine nibs, the second in broader ones. I think Bleu Calanque is too blue, but I've only seen photographs of the pen in question, not the real thing!

Lamy Safari Candy Aquamarine is very green, a color we call, vert d'eau (water green) so, one of the green would be best.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

On 12/9/2018 at 4:13 PM, ErrantSmudge said:

Lamy Petrol CRV with goodpens

Other inks featured: Noodler's Air Corps Blue-Black, KWZI Hunter Green, J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor, Sailor Miruai, Sailor Waka-Uguisu, Pelikan Edelstein Olive

fpn_1544392671__lamy_petrol_crv_goodpens

Lamy Petrol and Diamine November Rain (goodpens)

fpn_1544393224__petrol_vs_november_rain.

Another ink that seems similar is Herbin Vert de Gris. 

I tried some mixes of erasable blue (the regular edition blue that can be found in all the European brand)

The result is very dry ink mixes that look good but don't flow.

• 2 months later...

Two dopplegangers (at least in my pens)

Robert Oster Great Southern Ocean

Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris

Scan_20210808.jpg

Scan_20210808 (2).jpg

Here's a better sample of Robert Oster Great Southern Ocean.  It shows up bluer in this scan, which on my screen is only a tiny smidge bluer than the actual sample.

ro_great_southern_ocean.jpg

^^ Great Southern Ocean is a beautiful color that I've debated getting but, having many similar inks, content myself with admiring posted samples like yours.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 4 months later...

Since I just did this for my wife (thus the mention of a couple of them being presents on particular occasions, since she often does not bother to remember the proper names) from which to select ink colours with which to fill her pens, I may as well scan and post it here.

large.688841505_Fourblue-greeninksonRhodiaDotpad20220108.jpg.cc3be98490ead92ebae0aa66dddfe2bf.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Of course, honorable mention goes to the vintage and largely now unavailable Swedish ink Rosendahls Cadet Blue. Wonderful, dynamic turquoise which is darker the more ink you lay down. This pic shows slightly more blue than IRL.

Rosendahls-Cadetblue.thumb.jpg.2cfcc98cf1c8762edccec1b72157ab1e.jpg

I have a review of this elsewhere :)

Very. nice!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 month later...

large.1751578087_Twelveinkscolourcomparisonsheet2022-02-24(scancolourcorrected).jpg.76913752f4e4af92f044659a6458539d.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 1 month later...

How different inks can all be turquoise to me, except when I place them next to each other: 

3076884E-68F9-40DE-96AB-1C349B5C2F50.jpeg

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• 4 weeks later...

large.2033324751_Seventealandteal-blackinkscompared(120dpi).jpg.a23d04f4a3017e54412f48f210d8c451.jpg

7 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

large.2033324751_Seventealandteal-blackinkscompared(120dpi).jpg.a23d04f4a3017e54412f48f210d8c451.jpg

Wow!  Fabulous comparison; I have trouble seeing a difference between kyu-jaku and syo-ro, whereas the difference with tsuki-yo is quite clear here.  How often did you have to dip since the handle had no feed?  Did you fashion the pen yourself?

These are all colors I gravitate towards, so this is very helpful.  Thank you.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

6 hours ago, essayfaire said:

I have trouble seeing a difference between kyu-jaku and syo-ro,

@LizEF said the same thing.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/366171-efnir-sailor-kujukuri-coast-hakkakuao/?do=findComment&comment=4532938

I might try later to see if I can do something that makes any differences more noticeable visually.

8 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

@LizEF said the same thing.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/366171-efnir-sailor-kujukuri-coast-hakkakuao/?do=findComment&comment=4532938

I might try later to see if I can do something that makes any differences more noticeable visually.

I remember Syo-ro being ever so slightly greener, and there's a dusky aspect to it that Ku-jaku doesn't have.

Kakkakuao seems really similar to Yama-dori. I was tempted to get a bottle a few months ago but decided against it. I guess I was right.

43 minutes ago, lgsoltek said:

I remember Syo-ro being ever so slightly greener, and there's a dusky aspect to it that Ku-jaku doesn't have.

I remember Syo-ro being duskier when I first wrote with it nine years ago, that's for sure. But I always thought it was bluer than Ku-jaku and greener than Tsuki-yo, in the ‘spectrum’ of Pilot Iroshizuku greens, teals and blues.

45 minutes ago, lgsoltek said:

Kakkakuao seems really similar to Yama-dori.

I was surprised by how close they are. Sumaura Seaside Blue, too; but its colour seemed to have gone a little duskier over time.

large.132030975_PilotIroshizukuSyo-rovsKu-jaku(scannocorrection).jpg.860e636e18326f5d7ce20438407a5c47.jpg

My Canon CanoScan LiDE 300 scanner does not seem to capture subtleties in green very well, and so leaves post-scanning colour-correction with not a lot to work with. Here, instead of not showing green where there should be some, there is too much green in both colours, but especially Syo-ro.

large.1374398136_PilotIroshizukuSyo-rovsKu-jaku(scancolour-corrected).jpg.e4ab10e78c6d8411396aac82d6949659.jpg

It didn't help that the two ink colours are nigh indistinguishable when written very wet, and somehow the Pilot MR's steel F nib appeared to be writing increasingly wetter with time, even though I didn't see any tine misalignment under a loupe, and the tine gap while seemingly wide for a Japanese nib did not appear to be the problem. Trying to close the tine gap didn't help; and neither did swirling the nib around briefly in dilute solution of aqueous ammonia and dishwashing detergent. I ended up smearing detergent directly onto the nib and rubbing it vigorously, then dunking it into >90°C hot water. That seemed to have more of an effect in taming the wild ink flow witnessed earlier.

large.957215236_PilotIroshizukuSyo-rovsKu-jaku(photocolour-corrected).jpg.3be2806341167441927b7dffda09e302.jpg

The colours here are closer than the scanned image to how I perceive them when staring at the page, but still not quite right. I think they look too blue, while in the scanned image they look too green. The differences between the two ink colours are really subtle; Syo-ro is just ever-so-slightly bluer and a teensy bit more muted than Ku-jaku, so images that lean either blue or green would obscure the differences.

The colour of the HongDian N7 ‘Peacock’ pen, to my eyes, is a perfect match for (my bottle of) Ku-jaku when I look at the physical objects (i.e. pen and page of writing); but it does not appear so to me in the photo.

Thank you @A Smug Dill these comparisons take a lot of time and are very helpful.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY