Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Turquoise - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

bob_hayden

Sailor Yuki-Akari. I'm not a fan of this ink; the shade is too pale and it is a dry ink.

fpn_1491787791__sailor_yuki_akari.jpg

I am looking for an ink this shade that will hopefully work as a non-repro blue. Normally I would not use something so pale, but it may do the trick for a particular use. Do you know if this shows up when photocopied? (Or of a similar blue that does not? Maybe J Herbin Bleu Azure?)

Thanks.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• ErrantSmudge

• A Smug Dill

• HalloweenHJB

I am not sure if R&K Blu Mare counts as Turquoise, I have written something to show the tonal range possible with this ink :) Now that I've learnt how to post pictures, but still haven't learnt to write, pls pardon my attrocious handwriting.

post-137029-0-74849100-1530938019_thumb.jpg

Not atrocious at all! A very English hand, with a certain flair. And stubs are a bit more tricky to control, aren't they?

Great ink color. One of my favorites in this range.

I am looking for an ink this shade that will hopefully work as a non-repro blue. Normally I would not use something so pale, but it may do the trick for a particular use. Do you know if this shows up when photocopied? (Or of a similar blue that does not? Maybe J Herbin Bleu Azure?)

Thanks.

I have an Epson multifunction copier/scanner unit. I put my Yuki-Akari sample card on it and made monochrome and color copies. The color copy (to the right) has streaks because some ink jet nozzles are clogged.

fpn_1530979981__img_20180707_090554.jpg

The monochrome copy came out lighter than the original but it is still visible. It's hard to say with this unit though, it might be invisible with another copier.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

I have an Epson multifunction copier/scanner unit. I put my Yuki-Akari sample card on it and made monochrome and color copies. The color copy (to the right) has streaks because some ink jet nozzles are clogged.

fpn_1530979981__img_20180707_090554.jpg

The monochrome copy came out lighter than the original but it is still visible. It's hard to say with this unit though, it might be invisible with another copier.

Wow. Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it!

I will look for a different ink for what I need. I might dilute another pale blue as an experiment and see what happens with that.

I wonder if Montblanc Miles Davis Jazz is lighter than Yuki-akari. That might be another choice for you.

I cannot imagine an ink lighter than Miles Davis Jazz blue! I am unable to use it.

virtuoso aka Steve

Miles David Jazz is light blue? What were they thinking?

Guess no one at Montblanc has heard Miles play. Particularly in his later years. Just goes to show that there is no natural correlation between a name and an object. Particularly when it comes to marketing.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

I wonder if Montblanc Miles Davis Jazz is lighter than Yuki-akari. That might be another choice for you.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am old enough to remember when copiers did not copy pale blue at all but wonder if that is the case today. My experience is that color inkjets copy everything as per the Epson sample already posted. At the very least I think one would have to match an ink to a specific make and model of copier.

I am old enough to remember when copiers did not copy pale blue at all but wonder if that is the case today. My experience is that color inkjets copy everything as per the Epson sample already posted. At the very least I think one would have to match an ink to a specific make and model of copier.

Good point. I'll experiment with that.

• 4 weeks later...

So, a followup. I bought a non-repro blue pencil (Prismacolor Col-Erase non-repro blue) and tried it out with my Epson multifunction copier. The Prismacolor did not reproduce!

One thing I noticed is the Prismacolor pencil is much paler than Yuki-Akari. It might be possible to dilute Yuki-Akari to produce something that works. Now that I know my copier responds to non-repro pencils I might give this a try.

• 2 months later...

I had a bit of a teal (and turquoise) fest this weekend - teals are my favourites.

First below is scanned, second is photo

scan299b.jpg

20181028-132803.jpg

Tomoe River paper. The remaining spaces will be filled later; either with swatches or with new inks :D
Also this, of course:
20181028-132842b.jpg
Writing samples of some of them (on rhodia paper); again first is scanned, second is photo:
scan300b.jpg
20181028-133003.jpg

Wow! What a great collection of teal and aqua/turquoise inks! I am also a fan of many of these inks, so thanks for sharing this with us.

Thanks a lot!

I realise I should have commented a bit instead of just dropping the pictures…

I uploaded both scans and photos as photos seem to take away some of the green component. On the first photo Diamine Aqua Lagoon and Marine look pretty much turquoise – which they are not. The scan renders them a lot closer to reality. Both are close, almost hard to tell apart; with Aqua Lagoon just a little bluer and Marine a little greener. The scans are off on Tropical Glow however; its base colour looks like a slightly lighter Aqua Lagoon. The third image (close-up) gives an accurate account of it I think. To me the silver particles make it look more icy than tropical by the way.

The Colorverse teals are all on the green side; Morning Star is particularly bright and vivid I think – something these images don’t really capture. Pale Blue Dot is less inspiring to me – and badly misnamed by the way. I don’t have Gravity Wave but understand it’s greenish too – and darker.

Robert Oster have lots of very pretty teals. Unfortunately Fire and Ice looks pretty much like a darker turquoise on most of these images. It really is a teal – and a very nice one. The scanned writing sample (4th image) is probably the closest account of it. All three of these RO inks have a red sheen; a little for Aqua, a bit more for Deep Sea, and yet more for Fire and Ice.

The sheening queen of them is Sailor Yama Dori of course.

I feel Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku is hard-done by my images; first picture is way too turquoise, second is too green. Maybe the writing sample images convey it best.

Thanks a lot!

I realise I should have commented a bit instead of just dropping the pictures…

I uploaded both scans and photos as photos seem to take away some of the green component. On the first photo Diamine Aqua Lagoon and Marine look pretty much turquoise – which they are not. The scan renders them a lot closer to reality. Both are close, almost hard to tell apart; with Aqua Lagoon just a little bluer and Marine a little greener. The scans are off on Tropical Glow however; its base colour looks like a slightly lighter Aqua Lagoon. The third image (close-up) gives an accurate account of it I think. To me the silver particles make it look more icy than tropical by the way.

The Colorverse teals are all on the green side; Morning Star is particularly bright and vivid I think – something these images don’t really capture. Pale Blue Dot is less inspiring to me – and badly misnamed by the way. I don’t have Gravity Wave but understand it’s greenish too – and darker.

Robert Oster have lots of very pretty teals. Unfortunately Fire and Ice looks pretty much like a darker turquoise on most of these images. It really is a teal – and a very nice one. The scanned writing sample (4th image) is probably the closest account of it. All three of these RO inks have a red sheen; a little for Aqua, a bit more for Deep Sea, and yet more for Fire and Ice.

The sheening queen of them is Sailor Yama Dori of course.

I feel Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku is hard-done by my images; first picture is way too turquoise, second is too green. Maybe the writing sample images convey it best.

We always love seeing pictures. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

OK There are TWO inks that I almost want to copyright but it is a color I accidentally mixed years ago when I simply combined two half bottles, and is most closely represented by

Private Reserves "Blue Suede" (The ORIGINAL Blue-Green formula not the "NEW" version which is more Teal Blue than Blue-Green)

Private Reserve "Naples Blue"

These are most closely matched by -- surprise:

Noodler's "Turquoise"

Noodler's "Navajo Turquoise"

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the non-repro blue part of this discussion:

I had success with Herbin Bleu Azure in a Pilot Metropolitan F nib. No appearance of the ink in my HP laser jet pro multi-function printer/scanner, even when I cranked up the darkness setting on the copier.

The ink is horribly pale. I would not use it for any other purpose, but this will do the trick for what I need: marking up sheet music with notation for myself, but that will not appear when I make copies for other people. My notes would just confuse everyone else. I like having color on the sheet to call attention to important parts. Pencil, the usual way to make notation, gets too dark and difficult to see on the page.

Thanks to all who chimed in on this. Go and enjoy all of those other, prettier, more vibrant turquoises!

PS: the ink was something I received at a pay-it-forward table at a pen show. Very grateful for the little bottle that will last forever! Thanks to all who share their giveaways in this manner.

Edited by goodpens