What Are Some Of *your* Favorite Fountain Pen Inks? =)

TestTube

I've tried a few brands of ink and all have delivered in terms of colour. How they live within my pen's feed and filler mechanism is another matter however, since a number have contained elements that gum up the works if not drained and cleaned after every use!

The best fire and forget inks I've used so far are the Pelikan brands, with both 4001 and the Edelstein lines being truly excellent. Key things I like about these inks are:

They don't readily bleed

They don't penetrate thinner paper as much as others I've tried

They stay fluid and flow easily within the pen for a long time

They wash out of the pen without too much effort

They don't corrode my nibs or gold plating

They provide a good range of colours, although since they dropped the truly excellent Edelstein Amber, there's not much available at the yellow end of the spectrum - (blatant hint by the way Pelikan!)

They are very affordable (especially the 4001 series).

There would have to be something truly exceptional about a product before I'd be lured to another ink brand now, since I tend to be conservative and stick with the products I trust.

That's how I feel about MB Inks...I owned Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire...Great ink for my uses.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NeverTapOut

• amberleadavis

• pgcauk

• TestTube

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ditto how I feel about both Edelstein and Iroshizuku. Both great ink brands and zero problem with either of them

Fav Blue- Iro Kon Peki

Fav red -Iro fuyu gaki

Well I have waaaaaaaaaaaaayyy too many inks (about 50) in an OCD fueled buying craze but there are some inks I refill and use a lot. It changes often but here are some of the current contenders.

You think 50 inks is way too many? You do realize the group you're talking to, right?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's what I have in pens at the moment. Winter I contracted down to a core of seven main inks (which are all still present), Spring I have expanded, especially blues, greens and violets.

fpn_1558550789__may_19.jpg

Interestingly enough that makes fifteen (or so) colors pretty evenly distributed nib-wise; five "nails", five italics and five flexies . . . . oh, and five that are "just trying this out!"

David,

Monday's main ink is Scabiosa (my first love!), with Robert Oster's Sydney Lavender (I'm calling it "Jacaranda", or possibly "Pewter"!) and Claret (= "Mauve"?) and Birmingham Pens' Violet Starling as Flower Girls!

Baron W,

It's always the redheads, huh?

(I even heard some gossip about Prince Harry, but I wouldn't want to spread such things here!)

. . . . also, if you look at the balance of warm to cool colors . . . .

Hey pgcauk...

I see what you did...so you wrote Monday's Child in RO Claret...Am I correct...

Thanks,

David

David,

The text is Scabiosa, then the scribbles alongside are in rotating sequence: Scabiosa, Lavender, Starling, Claret

Claret is also the red-violet alternating with the red-orange on Tuesday.

All the violets can be seen more clearly here (which is from my red-violet through blue-violet thread):

fpn_1557090795__blue_violet_through_red_

Edited by pgcauk

That is wonderful! Please be sure to add it to the Purple page too.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I am really looking my recent sample of Monteverde Sapphire Blue. It's outperforming my Diamine Royal Blue and my 4001 RB

David,

The text is Scabiosa, then the scribbles alongside are in rotating sequence: Scabiosa, Lavender, Starling, Claret

Claret is also the red-violet alternating with the red-orange on Tuesday.

All the violets can be seen more clearly here (which is from my red-violet through blue-violet thread):

fpn_1557090795__blue_violet_through_red_

This is stunning !

My current favourites are Iroshizuku Kiri Same, Iroshizuku Shin Kai, Diamine Eau de Nil, Diamine Ancient Copper and J Herbin Lie de The.
In no particular order.