Lifehacker Weighs In On Pens

sidthecat

Lifehacker, which is happy to tell you that whatever you're doing, you're doing it wrong, has asked its editors: "So, Mr. Pruitt went out and bought these spendy fountain pens, but what pen do you use to get actual work done?"

The answers will be found below:

https://lifehacker.com/the-lifehacker-staffs-very-correct-pen-opinions-1826497301

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Honeybadgers

• sidthecat

• SoulSamurai

The post made me laugh. Everyone was particular about their pens, or pens and inks.

I think most of the writers hadn't used fountain pens, and several would probably like them.

Ironically it was a Lifehacker article (along with an Art of Manliness article) that got me to buy my first fountain pen on a whim...

https://lifehacker.com/budget-fountain-pen-showdown-lamy-safari-vs-pilot-metr-1782118233

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/a-primer-on-fountain-pens/

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

The folks at Lifehacker obviously work both sides of the street.

As staff writer Nick Douglas put it, "Unless you’re some kind of weirdo, your favorite pen costs about a dollar, and you can buy a ton and never be stingy or ever use your un-favorite pens.”

O.K., I admit it. I'm a weirdo!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

If using a fountain pen makes me a weirdo, then call me weird. I will wear it proudly. Don't get me wrong, roller ball and ballpoints have their place, I just don't use them often anymore.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I was a weirdo by most persons standards, years ago; I cannot imagine any reason to change now.

You guys aren't doing much to change perspectives :lol: I used my Delike alpha brass pen to pop a windshield at work last week when my glass breaker failed. Fountain pen helped save a woman's life.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I wonder what those jokers would say to the fact that the knives I carry every day cost as much as mortgage payment...

You guys aren't doing much to change perspectives :lol: I used my Delike alpha brass pen to pop a windshield at work last week when my glass breaker failed. Fountain pen helped save a woman's life.

That's a ringing endorsement if I ever heard one!

What is lifehacker? Seriously, I would think it would be someone who splices genes, like in Blade Runner. It seems it is an electronic equivalent of a shoppers tips periodical; fluffy reading without any real merit, but to sell basic bland products and doubtful recipes.

Edited by Parker51

I must plead guilty to the charge of weirdness, although I prefer the term "eccentric."

Birth date....by me =......born to weird times....when gas finally went over and stayed over $0.20.....when White Castle no longer made 15 cent hamburgers. And each school had a kid who had a parent that actually flew once to somewhere....maybe even on one of them transcontinental Jets.

And the dollar was still Almighty at 4.20 to 1 DM.

It was weird times.....when a kid couldn't wait until he was in 4th grade and could use a fountain pen.

Fountain pens used with a proper grip....means writing no longer hurts like with a ball point held in the death grip. Too bad weird times passed. ....for some. But we can now talk to a computer and let if misspell the words. Who needs a ball point. :lticaptd:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I must plead guilty to the charge of weirdness, although I prefer the term "eccentric."

"All the world is queer save me and thee, and even thou art a little queer."

- Robert Owen

X

most folks who know me well... including (and likely especially) my family would agree with the weirdo comment.... also out there... eccentric... or just "a Dad".

Calling a fountain pen user a weirdo is the same to me to call a mechanical watch wearer a weirdo. It's the same thing.

What is lifehacker? Seriously, I would think it would be someone who splices genes, like in Blade Runner. It seems it is an electronic equivalent of a shoppers tips periodical; fluffy reading without any real merit, but to sell basic bland products and doubtful recipes.

It used to be a fun read, it refers mostly to tinkering with stuff to make it work; gave up on it as it became less and less relevant, it's part of a generation of blogs that never found its financial footing, stuck on old style ads, now on the web.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

So much hype.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 1 month later...

I love how they insult pens that aren't "about a dollar" and then, apart from one ballpoint, go recommending the most expensive ($3 for an Elite or Deluxe maybe) disposable rollerballs. A pilot V5 or Uni Vision (Eye) Micro has a much longer life. Even the Pilot G2 is tough to find under $2 (and FWIW, I like it better than the Signo 207).

That the Uni Air user refills with Noodler's was the best part of the article. I've been refilling or re-wetting rollerballs for decades but rarely hear about anyone else doing it. Even had the Pen Addict guys dismiss the idea of refilling Retro 51 refills since FP ink isn't what they're "designed to use". Pish, posh -- live a little. Those don't even need to be taken apart to refill, just put them point-down in an ink vial. Use a few drops at a time of water if they're dry, or maybe a mL of ink if you actually used one up.